Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #1

6.0 fan noise

Hi guys.

Been running a 2004 E350 6.0 with 250k for close to two years. The only thing that drives my wife crazy is the fan noise when the engine is above 225 deg Sounds like an airplane landing between the seats. It is just occurring to me that this might not be normal. Maybe a fan drive or clutch issue ?

What is everyone’s experience. It is so loud we turn off the AC as soon as it happens which reduces temps enough to stop the fan.

Naturally with the seats so close to the engine I have chalked it up to one of the compromises that we need to make.

Thanks for the help!

SAMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #2

Consider yourself lucky! Some people have fan clutches that don't even work!

J//K - That's normal. 225F is already on the warm-ish side. I wouldn't want to raise those temps by disabling the fan-clutch.

That said.... It's pretty late in the year to be complaining of warm engine temps. What was the air temps and terrain when you were seeing this? What does your front grill and bumper look like? Any obstructions? If a stock bumper, is the behind-the-bumper air diversion flap present?
Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #3

Sorry I didn’t clarify. This is only happening mid summer probably around 85 -90 deg with ac running and hilly terrain. All temps look normal otherwise.

Stock bumper with diffuser in place

Thanks for your input!
SAMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

Yeah, that’s normal. You can reduce the noise a bit with some noise reduction material on the doghouse, but is kinda just the nature of a huge fan moving tons of air. I just call it Freightliner mode.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #5

You could always convert to an electric fan set up which as a bonus could give you a little more power and lower coolant temps if started sooner than the fan clutch would. Mechanical fans have been shown to use lots of power, some models as bad as 30 or more HP.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMarty View Post
The only thing that drives my wife crazy is the fan noise when the engine is above 225 deg Sounds like an airplane landing between the seats.
You definitely want that fan running, so the sound dampening suggestion is sensible advise, and an easy upgrade.
I'd also recommend installing a low temp thermostat, and run a 5-star tune that engages the fan earlier than what you're experiencing now. Having the fan start sooner really helps maintain the temperatures when climbing grades, and also on those slow crawls that annoyingly tax your temps since little air passes through the radiator at slower speeds.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I just call it Freightliner mode.

Ain't that the truth. It took me by surprise on the way home from SMB when the van was brand new. At work back in 2002 I drove a 3 axle Freightliner aerial lift. The first guy who road with me in the bucket truck freaked out when the fan engaged. When that fan came on in the sportsmobile for the first time I wasn't happy at all The next disappointment was when it kicked on while crawling along a dusty trail. It looked like a friggin almond sweeper running.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #8

Make sure your bumper isn't blocking any of the airflow to the radiator. My Warn bumper blocked the bottom third of the radiator as evidenced by a lack of bug residue there.

I drilled six 2 1/8" holes in the bumper to keep the water temps down and eliminate any overheating in hot weather.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #9

Garage
I have the 2005 6.0L with an Atlas40 tune on the FICM. I notice the fan noise kick in initially around 214 as a momentary fan noise, maybe 5 seconds then off and that typically drops the temps by 4 or 5 degress. When I get to 225 however, just like you, it is full fan engagement and it is loud. I only get these elevated temps when driving mountain passes in the summer or long grades in the deserts during hot weather. It is just the engine doing what it needs to stay cool.
Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #10

I installed the Bulletproof water pump and adapter the uses the 7.3 fan and mechanical fan clutch On my 6.0.

It kicks on more but it is not as loud. But it keeps the engine plenty cool. I had a scantron gauge and the engine never got over 200 degrees with that fan and my hood scoop. Might be worth looking into.

Hood scoop:

I also put a hood scoop from a Subaru Outback on my hood and it directed the air right into the engine and across the turbo. It was a bunch of work but looked pretty good. Look for my pictures in a write up I did on that Subi-scoop. It kept the engine running at cool temps most all of the time.