Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 01:47 AM   #1

6.0 L Diesel Operating Temps

Hey Team,

I recently installed a Power Hungry Performance FICM programming unit, set on the Atlas 40 mode, in my 2010 E350 with the 6.0l Power Stroke. The engine has just over 50K miles on the clock. Performance increase is very noticeable, even with the mild Atlas 40 tune. (Here is the link if anyone is interested, although it's not the reason for my post: https://gopowerhungry.com/ficm-programming/ )

Now that I can (finally) monitor most of the engine functions and temperatures with the display, I was wondering if anyone has compiled (or previously posted) the normal or expected range for things like engine oil temp, transmission oil temp, coolant temp, EGT temp range, stock turbo boost range, etc. for the 6.0.

Specifically, I'm interested in these operating temps and specs as they relate to the 6.0 liter PS motor in the E350 van, and not in other platforms.

Many thanks in advance!

bryon

parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #2

Garage
SMB 6.0 Temps

I think there are some other threads here related to this question....but I will post mine for my 2006 6.0 as it was also one of my questions when I had the Scanguage installed. I will post my norms...highs...and lows below.

Engine Oil Temp: Normally it rides at 206. I have seen it as high as 220 on a big hill climb. If the temps are really cold...it will go down to 145 or so..but I am talking 10 to -10 at 45-60mph driving. I have done a lot of winter trips.

Coolant Temp: Normally it will be at 10 to 15 degrees lower than the oil temp. It usually stays around 191-195. It will go down to 183 or so when the fan kicks on and has climbed as high as 218 on a big hill. I hate when I see the oil and coolant temps getting close together. I have seen as low as 135 on those -10 driving days.....I think I need to get something to put in front of the radiator so it will stay warmer...gets cold inside the van when temps are that cool.

Transmission Temp: Normally it rides between 170-179. If it is cold outside it will run 150-160...and if hot outside it will run 180-185 or so. It will also increase on a hill climb but I have never seen it much over 185.

Boost: I have been told that I baby mine.....but normal cruising down the highway at 70 the boost will be between 6 and 10.....depending on hills and how the road is going. The same diesel tech who said I baby mine also told me to not go over 26 boost.....bad things can happen. I guess the best way to answer this one is the lowest I have is 0 and the highest I have had is 24. I try not to get over 22 though as a rule for myself.

EGTs: These will fluctuate depending on how hard the engine is working like all the other stuff but norms for me cruising at 65 to 70 are between 700 and 800. They will go down to around 500 to 600 if the terrain is easy and 900 to 1000 if pulling a big hill. I try not to keep it at 1000 for any length of time. If it is staying there then I will back off a bit.

I hope this answers some of your questions. I pretty much watch all that stuff like a hawk and just got back last night from driving about 1300 miles for my Christmas trip to Florida....and yes it was a tour of Florida...lol...NC to Naples to Apalachicola to Orlando and back.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3442.jpg  
Shyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

Shyll, from those EGT temps I would imagine your probe is post-turbo?

Temps are going to vary depending on mods and whether or not you have a big aluminess bumper or the like blocking air flow.

The nice thing about FICM tuning is it does not increase cylinder head pressure like PCM tuning (which advances the timing). Rather, it simply increases the length of the burn. That produces more HP but it does run hotter so you should expect to see considerably higher EGTs than what Shyll is observing in his rig.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #4

Garage
Good stuff. I have the ScanGauge, but I don't see it displaying oil or tranny temps. Maybe I just have not found those readings yet! Please advise.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #5

Garage
Couple of the talented members here provided me with some great responses a while ago, unfortunately I'm not able to locate the one specific to your question (normal operating temps), but post #7 in this thread may help:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...s-21745-2.html
Old 12-31-2018, 10:05 PM   #6

My EOT is in the 215 to 230F range and the ECT hangs in there somewhat below but only occasionally hot enough to turn on the fan. Different variables control fan operation but typically it comes on at 223F. Transmission temps were high, especially offroad (230F with a peak of 275F going over Imogene Pass) until I installed a bigger tranny cooler.

With regard to heat management I have a bigger turbo (stage 1.5 KCturbo), an 80HP PCM tune, a 40HP FICM tune, deleted the EGR, and killed the kitty for a more free flowing exhaust. Cruising EGTs are 800-900F, 1000-1100F on mild acceleration and 1200-1300F WOT. I back off when ever I hit 1200F but have gone as high as 1500F.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:49 AM   #7

Jeffrey, you should be able to read EOT (oil temp) FWT (coolant temp) and TFT (trans temp) but some of those may be x gauges that need to be programmed. Been a number of years since I programmed one and a couple since I used one for my 6.0. The Scangauge website can tell you which codes need to be programmed as an x gauge. I’m pretty sure the info is somewhere here on the forum as well.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #8

Garage
Temps Base and Scanguage

I am running pretty much stock stuff so all my temps are based on that. I still have the factory exhaust and turbo. Turbo has been rebuilt but is the same one. I am at just over 190k miles. I also have the EGR deleted.

I did not program my Scanguage....Ujoint did it when it was installed in 2012 .....but I can hit the button beside whatever I want to change and it will scroll through everything...EOT...BST...MPG...AVG...FWT...TFT.... etc. It will read anything the computer monitors pretty much and is great for reading or clearing codes.

Shyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
Spr

My temps seem to run about 10 degrees cooler than JoeH during normal summer temperatures.
I think my coolant gauge was pre installed but reads as ECT. Either way programming them is pretty easy and you can find the codes on the scan gauge website under X Gauge Codes for the 6.0.
I also like to watch the fan RPM's which I think is RPM. Like someone said there are a ton of variables affecting the fan so I just like to keep an eye to make sure its working. You cant really hear it until about 2300 RPM, but its nice to see that its doing its job when its spinning between 400 and 2200 RPM

But back to Joe here..... 275 on Imogene pass!!! Wow, that sounds hot :-) I'm surprised the light didn't go off. We did Imogene and a couple other passes over the summer and the trans never went over 215 ish. We have a bigger cooler as well. but also have the big bumper and tons of weight etc.

Bigger trans cooler has come up a couple times here so to touch on that the stock cooler is way undersized. Contrary to popular opinion on this forum we did not due the tru-cool max because I couldn't wrap my head around using a reducer in the hose line. we went with the largest tru-cool that had a 1/2 inch fitting to avoid putting unnecessary strain on the pump that's located a couple thousand dollars away inside the transmission. I think mine is the H7B which brought the temps down about 10+ degrees. Either way a new cooler seems to be a worthy upgrade.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr View Post
My temps seem to run about 10 degrees cooler than JoeH during normal summer temperatures.
I think my coolant gauge was pre installed but reads as ECT. Either way programming them is pretty easy and you can find the codes on the scan gauge website under X Gauge Codes for the 6.0.
I also like to watch the fan RPM's which I think is RPM. Like someone said there are a ton of variables affecting the fan so I just like to keep an eye to make sure its working. You cant really hear it until about 2300 RPM, but its nice to see that its doing its job when its spinning between 400 and 2200 RPM

But back to Joe here..... 275 on Imogene pass!!! Wow, that sounds hot :-) I'm surprised the light didn't go off. We did Imogene and a couple other passes over the summer and the trans never went over 215 ish. We have a bigger cooler as well. but also have the big bumper and tons of weight etc.

Bigger trans cooler has come up a couple times here so to touch on that the stock cooler is way undersized. Contrary to popular opinion on this forum we did not due the tru-cool max because I couldn't wrap my head around using a reducer in the hose line. we went with the largest tru-cool that had a 1/2 inch fitting to avoid putting unnecessary strain on the pump that's located a couple thousand dollars away inside the transmission. I think mine is the H7B which brought the temps down about 10+ degrees. Either way a new cooler seems to be a worthy upgrade.

Those tranny temps are with the stock cooler? My TFT would shoot up in any condition with low air flow. Regarding the 3/8 to 1/2" line and fittings issue, I did a flow test and the results indicated that flow rate was comparable or even slightly increased with the low pressure drop 40k Tru-Cool cooler. The return flow was the same or even better than with the stock cooler (as per the specs listed by Ford).