Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #11

Damn, your not kidding Dave. $883 at autonationford. At least you got an answer without a huge dissection.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellpilot View Post
Well at least the surgery will not be as invasive!
Yep but they still had to pull the turbo so I'm still paying out some bucks. If I had known to was the cat to begin with that sure would have saved me some cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Does CA look for a CAT (or maybe just a large tube that looks like a CAT)?

Herb
Yeah Herb that would be what to do but this dumb ass state is starting to really poke around during a smog check. Actually I should be happy that the engine and the turbo is fine. He said the turbo looked brand new and with 20K on it I would have been really upset if it would have needed to be cleaned up. Had to get a rental and go back tomorrow to pick er up. But man are those things expensive. Weird that my rear end came apart for no reason, my transmission came apart for no reason and now the converter came apart for no reason. No reason has cost me about 6 grand this year. I've called her money pit in the past and although it's true I might have to refer to my van as NO REASON. Won't be too long and all I'll have to purchase is a new body and then I'd have a brand new vehicle

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Does CA look for a CAT (or maybe just a large tube that looks like a CAT)?
When I lived in CA I had for years an 86' Isuzu Trooper with 250k miles on it. The Smog stations would test it twice every time because they couldn't figure out why it kept passing. One smog tech had the nerve to ask me why all the smog equipment looked so new for having 250k mile on them.

Dave, if it's any consolation a CAT is way cheaper than buying an entire modern DPF system.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
Site Team

Best as I can tell (CA DMV had made it more difficult to check than it used to be), this is available.

Herb
Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #15

6 grand per year, sounds about 1 grand high! I'm $3500 in the last 2 months (battery harness, full brakes, with 2 calipers and a tranny service) and still have an oil leak in the cylinder valley that will require the turbo being pulled to find. At least we enjoy these money hogs - right?
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote