Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #1

6.0 particulate filters in the van yes/no?

There might be a thread about this already so I apoligize in advance. Do the 6.0 L vans have a particulate filter in them after 2007 or at all? I ask because most people like me do not wnat a particulate filter and after 2007 federal regulations fine auto companies for making diesils without them...but I heard Ford paid 6K per van to make them without a particulate filter throughout all of the 6.0 untill now when you can't get a diesil at all...but I don't know much about the vans and validity of this???

Does anybody know if the 6.0 vans ever had a particulate filter and thier history if they did such as what year ford added them to the vans etc. I know it for the trucks but the vans???

sac95985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #2

Re: 6.0 particulate filters in the van yes/no?

The E-series vans do not have a particulate filter. The newer diesels are actually not physically compliant. They only meet EPA compliance through a combination of emissions credits and surcharges. So '07+ emissions are not any different than older vans.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
The E-series vans do not have a particulate filter. The newer diesels are actually not physically compliant. They only meet EPA compliance through a combination of emissions credits and surcharges. So '07+ emissions are not any different than older vans.

Carringb,

WOW that is awesome! I think I will try to find a black one like this. I know the 6.0 has some bad rep and it is hard to finance 6.0 trucks at times because they have been lemon lawed out they were so bad, but by 2006 or so I think navistar started to work out the bugs and I would think the 08-10 might not be as good as the 7.3...but they should be much more developed and absolutley no particulate filter...that is awesome!

i love the earht and I know many sportsmobile people are reading on here are envirionmentalits, but I have no idea how the government could take diesils that got 20MPG to put particulate filters on them in 2007 to burn twice the fuel and start getting 10 mpg...I don't see how that is saving the earth by making a vehicle burn twice the fuel?

Anyhow, I am a big fan of your DRW van! thanks for the info on the 6.0 not having particulate filter. I take it the last 6.0 was model year 2010?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Team

I've never heard of anyone having problems financing a 6.0L, well no more than any other expensive vehicle. Now if a particular truck is a lemon law buyback, that's another story.

Herb
Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I've never heard of anyone having problems financing a 6.0L, well no more than any other expensive vehicle. Now if a particular truck is a lemon law buyback, that's another story.

Herb

I don't know about the vans but Ford sold so many trucks from 2003 - 2005 that become factory buy backs and sued international navistar and vice versa and the 6.0 is one of the main reasons Ford dropped international navistar after several years just type in google..the 6.4 tailpipe fires was the last straw for Ford with international navistar. The lemon law 6.0 buy back trucks and there are many out there are almost like salvage title vehicles. There are many 6.0 liter trucks that are financable even though as time goes by they will become too old, but what I am talking about is factory buy back trucks which Ford ate alot of money on from 2003-2007 in the 6.0 trucks. I know the 6.0 is a great motor, but I am a little leary of one even in a clean one owner or zero owner 2010. Especialy when you look at the internal parts compared to a 7.3 on powerastrokehelp.com youtube. I am not putting down the motor, but I do not want to buy a $30,000 6.0 and a $15,000 4X4 kit to be left with big buck engine trouble. I wonder if a UJOR on a 2010 6.0 would void the Ford Warenty? I take it that it would. Having said that it is hard to find the 7.3 van in any color with under 200K and the 6.0 can be very good for some people.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Yeah, I'm well aware with the 6.0L issues. As far as the battle between Ford and Navistar, personally I believe the root cause was that Ford bumped up the power of the engines above that which Navistar recommended and used the engines at themselves. The issue with the 6.4L you mentioned I believe is due to the emissions crap that are put on the engine due to US laws.

If I could have found a low mileage SMB with the 7.3L, that's a slam dunk, and the holy grail.

The 6.8L turbo diesel is getting some great reviews from what I've seen, but not destined for the van last I heard.

Herb
Old 02-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Yeah, I'm well aware with the 6.0L issues. As far as the battle between Ford and Navistar, personally I believe the root cause was that Ford bumped up the power of the engines above that which Navistar recommended and used the engines at themselves. The issue with the 6.4L you mentioned I believe is due to the emissions crap that are put on the engine due to US laws.

If I could have found a low mileage SMB with the 7.3L, that's a slam dunk, and the holy grail.

The 6.8L turbo diesel is getting some great reviews from what I've seen, but not destined for the van last I heard.

Herb

Herb,

Yeah and they say due to the smaller intercooler on the vans and thier commercial focus they are detuned so maybe ford had less problems with the vans being drove off the lot new and back on two months later with ford eating the total gost like in some of the trucks. It is also speculated that navistar and or ford rushed and should have waited to release but the fed regs would not let the 7.3 continue much longer. I am trying to find a black 7.3 with under 100,000 miles but it is not easy. I am starting to give up. Not a sportsmobile I could never swing that, but just a regular black van 7.3...I would go with a 6.0 but can't afford for the thing to break down like some do because the whole point of diesil engines is 1 million miles not one thousand miles like some of the brand new trucks that hydrolocked. Yeah, the 6.7 scorpian ford seems great but many of us diehards are scared and want to wait to see where the duramax camp is pretty confident since the 2001-2003 injector problems in the 6.6...the government has ruined diesels in my humble opinion and now you have to buy urea DEF fluid to put in there as well as a particulate filter and instead of 22 plus mpg popular mechanics and other are testing new diesels at 10!!! The brand new DEF fluid can get 20 but you have to buy that and maintain it on top of buying diesil fuel. Did you know the duramax now has 9 injectors instead of 8!!!! One of them injects diesil right into the exhust!!! Talk about a waste. The sad thing is that this is most likley the best way to run a particulate filter and bio 20 because the others shunt it through the cylinders into the exhsut and the can hydrolock on diesil!

An old cummins, 7.3 or 2006 LBZ duramax were better for the envirionment in my opinion because the did not have all of this MPG limitations on them via particulate filter, and urea DEF injection.

Just my 2cents but I would rather buy used though there is such a high demand that good use3d diesil trucks go quick and the vans are even more rare.

Some think it is an OPEC conspiricy since a diesil VW could beat out a prius in MPG and then all of this and low sulfar prices but who knows what the future will bring??? It sounds like an end to the E series vans and that just leaves the GM products and MB 2wd as far as I know?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

For what it's worth, (and hopefully for the final time), the engines in the vans are NOT detuned. The output of the engines in OTHER applications is bumped up.
I think some of the problems concerning 6.0 engines in vans are attributable to engine packaging and increased heat.
Bill