Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #1

6.0 Powerstroke EGR valve after 40k miles

Thought this may be of interest to those with the 6.0L diesel.

Here is our EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve after 40k miles with minimal idling. It was not yet giving us trouble, but it seemed prudent to check and clean it based on the reports of clogged intakes at various diesel truck forums.

The intake was fully coated with a film of carbon, but not enough to justify pulling the intake out to clean. I did run a bottle-brush around where I could reach and vacuum out that which was loosened up.

It takes a bit of work to get into the valve, but I had all the hoses and brackets already out for a bunch of other tinkering I wanted to get done.

-e

Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot
Re: 6.0 Powerstroke EGR valve after 40k miles

Looks pretty nasty! Many on the diesel forums advocate removing or plugging both the EGR valve and EGR cooler to prevent catastrophic engine overheating in the event of failure of one or both of these questionably designed emission devices. Removing them supposedly will trigger a check engine light (CEL) unless an aftermarket tuner is used to disable the CEL.

I'm all for cleaner emissions and our diesel van doesn't produce any visible smoke, but I don't look forward to maintenance issues with the EGR system after the full factory warranty (3 yr, 36K miles) expires in 6 months.

Ours is in the shop right now with what I think is a blown CAC turbo hose. Only lasted 16K miles...
Old 12-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #3

On a related note. Anyone else run cetane boost at all to reduce carbon buildup on the EGR?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #4

My EGR valve was pulled and cleaned at 11,400 miles. Since then, 61,000 miles and no more EGR issues. But, 98% of our miles are with a fully warmed engine and no stop-n-go, no significant idling.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #5

Mine went at almost exactly 40k miles and looked about the same as the pic above. I had it replaced and the intake thouroughly cleaned. I regularly use Amsoil diesel additive and seldom/never let the engine idle.
R
Old 12-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Isn't the EGR valve considered part of the emissions system, and therefore mandatd to have a longer warranty (is it 7 yrs?)?

Herb
Old 12-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #7

The valve is covered. But, sometimes cleaning the valve is called either 'Routine Maintainence' or 'Improper Maintainence' and not covered. I don't know why.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #8

We have had a recurrent EGR valve code (P0401) several times in our 6.0 PSD proir to 20 K miles. It has always been serviced under warrantee and/or gone away with or without adding cetane booster. Our van rarely idles more than a stoplight's duration and generally runs several hours at a time around 2 k RPM at a ScanGuage engine lode of 50 or so on trips.

It hasn't misbehaved in the last 10 K miles or so, but posting our experience will probably jinx it.
oldfart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Site Team

Out of curiosity, I checked RockAuto for the price of a new EGR valve (Motorcraft). For my application, the price is just about $162 plus shipping - no core charge.

So, how hard is it to get to, and remove and replace?

Herb
Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
On a related note. Anyone else run cetane boost at all to reduce carbon buildup on the EGR?
What's Ford's view on adding a coolant filter? Another reason blame the cause on the add on device?

At least my EGR failure didn't leave me stranded; not like the IPR. I am now running the fuel additive that Ford recommended which they claimed would keep carbon buildup down and add lubrication to the injectors. Says it increases HP and betters fuel mileage but who knows. The cost of the EGR repair and them having to pull the manifold off to clean it was about as much as paying for the extended warrantee. If Ford won't claim foul on adding a filter, I'd be up for it. As far as bypassing it, I'll bet Ca. is right around the corner on a requirement for diesel smog checks
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote