Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
As long as you’re not in a time crunch... have no fear.

You can get any part you want, anywhere you need it, it might just take a little longer. So worst case you hang out in some nice town in Nicaragua or Peru for an extra week or two. No big deal. I ended up in the jungle in Guatemala for an extra 2-3 weeks waiting for a new transmission for my bike.. it’s one of my best memories of my trip.

That said, I’d do some of the suggestions above!

Now that's the attitude!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #12

Jerry cans? Isnt ultra low sulfur diesel hard to come by in that region?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
Jerry cans? Isnt ultra low sulfur diesel hard to come by in that region?
ULSD actually isn't mandatory for the 6.0, since it has no DPF.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
ULSD actually isn't mandatory for the 6.0, since it has no DPF.
Oh ok, I thought it was all diesels after 06 or 07
Old 07-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
Oh ok, I thought it was all diesels after 06 or 07
Sales were required about that time, to ensure the infrastructure was in place before the DPF-equipped trucks rolled out. Dodge and Chevy diesels got it mid-year '07, and Ford pickups starting in '08 with the 6.4L PSD.

Ford never put DPFs in the vans. To meet emissions requirements, they simply used some banked EPA credits. ULSD labels still made it on the vans as required by the '08 emissions standard, but mechanically not necessary.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #16

Not sure what the guy @ Bullet proof is talking about??? They make a specific oil cooler kit for the E-Series!! I installed a dozen of them on ambulances. That being said the kit only helps with the oil cooler and EGR issues. You'll still get endless engine issues with that junk engine. They are only good for getting groceries, so you wont have to get it towed far to the repair shop. Junk it or do a 7.3 swap.
cfh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfh420 View Post
Not sure what the guy @ Bullet proof is talking about??? They make a specific oil cooler kit for the E-Series!! I installed a dozen of them on ambulances.
The issue is the Aluminess bumper on the E-series.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #18

Ive seen them relocated to up in the grill and below the bumper. But from what he posted it sounded like the BPD guy was saying they didnt make one and the F-series wouldnt fit the van. I know he didnt say "F-series" but he said the kit couldnt be modified to fit the van. So I assume he was referring to F-series.
cfh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:41 PM   #19

A few semi connected comments:
* I have a BDP oil cooler on my van. It was an E-Series kit but the last time I looked it was no longer available.
* With the stock bumper I can only think of one time, with a hot ambient, slow desert uphill, that temps got to the high 220's.
* Mostly the oil temp is less than or equal to coolant temp.
* Last year I developed an oil leak. It turned out to be one of the Ford parts that mated to the BDP kit. It cost more to diagnose and fix than the original cost of the kit.
* Six months ago I had an Aluminess front bumper installed. I had them fabricate it with the back cut out so as not to cover the oil cooler heat exchanger. There are cut outs in the front so there is air flow. I had no issues until last Thursday when I drove to Palm Springs to take the tram up to the San Jacinto Wilderness. The desert air temperature was 112 and there is a long elevation gain to the Tram station. By the tram entrance coolant temps were about 230 with the fan working overtime. Oil temp climbed from 230 to 244 in the last mile as I was getting to the parking spot. I was very happy to turn the engine off. Two days later when I returned I took off the bumper's top access cover to get more air flow but air temps were less that 100 and never exceeded 205 on the way home. I don't know how the stock Ford setup would have responded in this situation but I would say that there is functional limit of the BDP cooler based on ambient air temp and air flow (vehicle speed). I might modify that cover to be ram charger (as in a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner) Maybe I should change my oil too?
* I don't regret having the oil cooler installed but it has not been very cost effective.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO View Post
I don't know how the stock Ford setup would have responded in this situation but I would say that there is functional limit of the BDP cooler based on ambient air temp and air flow (vehicle speed). I

Hmm, something doesn't seem right with your BPD setup. That is exactly the scenario it is designed for. Hard core-towing or extremely hot temps. I'm surprised your transmission didn't overheat as well.

For comparison, I'm running a stock OEM cooler on a modified engine (like yours) making 400+ HP. Max EOT has been 234F and I've never seen ECT over 226F.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote