Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #31

Re: 6.0 PSD just dies

Daveb:

I am fighting the same problem on my 2006 6.0 PSD. My symptoms are like yours except that most engine hesitations and stalls happen while cruising at highway speeds, probably because that's what I am doing most often.

In a hesitation, the engine resumes running normally within a couple of seconds, sometimes in just a fraction of a second. In a stall, the engine always restarts normally, although lately it sometimes takes a few attempts to restart.

The faults happen in "episodes", with one to 10 hesitations or stalls during a few minutes. The time between episodes used to be from 200 to 1500 miles, beginning five months ago. This week we had 10 episodes in a 190 mile trip.

The first time it happened I got a check engine light. The fault code was P0611, FICM internal failure. Thorough diagnostic tests showed everything was normal. Subsequent failures did not set any codes.

The "could be" list is huge. Here is my summary of it:

Fuel, fuel delivery, fuel injection
Mechanical sticking, including solenoids and valves
Electrical faults, batteries, connectors, wiring harness, voltage levels, shorts, opens
Electronic failures, FICM, PCM, other controls/modules, sensors

Discussion and research pointed to the FICM power supply, which was said to be the problem in 9 out of 10 FICM failures. Ford sells only the entire module for about $900, which is the aluminum case that opens like a clam shell, with the logic board in one half and the power supply in the other. I bought the "power supply half-shell" from an auto supply store for $284, and installed it myself. It requires computer board changing skills, including anti-static protection, rather than auto mechanic skills. Since the logic board was not changed, it did not need reprogramming. I'm running the Power Hungry Atlas 40 tune, which I put in 2000 miles before my first failure.

A test drive of 40 miles was flawless. Then this week the 190 miles outbound trip had one episode, and the return trip had 10, as I said.

Research this morning turned up your thread, as well as one other outside of this forum. The other one was also a SMB! Neither show a definitive fix. Could it be a problem unique to SMB's,
for example related to the complex interconnection of the house battery and van batteries including solar panel charging? Is there a way to disconnect the SMB electrical part from the Ford part, as a test?

I'm still looking for the answer. Too many of the possible problems are chronic with the 6.0. Everything you have done is worthwhile, making sure that fuel filters, oil, batteries, connections, wiring harnesses, etc, are good. What's next? I'm working on that, and will let you know.

Dennis McClure

Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage

Thanks for the info Dennis. My Separator isolates during startup. I did this for other reasons, but mainly because I didn't want the assist start to mask bad batteries. Ford claims they checked my batteries but their method raises eyebrows . I'm scheduled for Browns diesel to do a once over on it next Monday. I've already installed a high amp alternator (also checked out OK by Ford for what that's worth) but do want to look at the connections...anything can come loose. I also have been told of a multi pin connector that was a problem but generally caused a no-start situation while warm issue where after the engine cools everything works fine. I'm not having a no-start issue nor am I having any problems at highway speeds.
We'll see what Browns diesel can do and hopefully report back with some good news.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #33
Site Team

Garage

Well, according to the shop guys at Browns they claim it is the multi pin connector at the FICM. It must be replaced, only it requires that the whole harness must be replaced. Lucky me. $2100.00 bucks

But hey, it could be worse. At least they have found the problem!!!...err,I hope.

TEST DRIVE

Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #34

Yikes, why would something like that go "bad"?
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #35

Garage

Crossing my fingers for the issue to be fixed!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #36

Garage

Quote:
they claim it is the multi pin connector at the FICM.
Or it broke when they removed the connector. Seems unlikely that it would break on it's own. I'd ask to see it.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #37
Site Team

Garage

I been told it's an issue on the 6.0 and have talked with several shops about it. The harness is pulled tight and there are several spots on the engine like a valve cover where it rubs and pulls. I also don't remember what year ranges were affected, but the connector pin causes trouble with the female plug. I think it was resolved so I hope the new harness corrects the problem. In some cases the harness wire breaks and causes an intermittant connection just outside the plug or where the harness bends over the engine. In my case they found where the issue is and were able to kill the engine by moving the harness. I know of a couple other owners who have had the same problem even in the pickups. Someone posted something like plan on replacing the harness every 100k miles... I hope not. I've got a buddy who has gone through a couple and he swears it's heat related but hey our van engine compartment don't get hot right

Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Quote:
they claim it is the multi pin connector at the FICM.
Or it broke when they removed the connector. Seems unlikely that it would break on it's own. I'd ask to see it.
Hate to admit it, but the same thought crossed my mind.

Hard to believe that a new connector couldn't be reinstalled. With the right tool, most connector pins can be removed.

Herb
Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #39
Site Team

Garage

Don't know about replacing a connector Herb...even our work shop says no. Besides, it could be a broken wire just outside the FICM plug. They never removed the harness or unplug anything to kill the engine. After they found the problem they said just by moving the harness, it might work correctly...might not. Then they asked if I wanted to have it replaced. I didn't even have to think about it.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #40
Site Team

Looks like we posted our latest replies at the same time, so I hadn't had a chance top read your earlier response. Yep, if that's the case, I'd bite the bullet and replace the harness too.

Herb