Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: 6.0 PSD just dies

Sounds legit to me. The FICM plug looks like something off the space shuttle--dozens of super fine connectors. Something else to check now...

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #42

Dave,

Please let us know how this turns out, if you become convinced the problem is gone, or see the failure again.

I have done thorough harness and connector wiggle tests with the engine running, pushing and pulling on every part of the harness I can reach, with no failures. There is probably a lot of wiring I cannot reach.

I have been intentionally avoiding the Mothership so it doesn't suck up all my time. It's fantastic how much other stuff I can get done when I don't fiddle with it.

Dennis
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #43
Site Team

Garage

I wouldn't either! But you can still look.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #44
Site Team

Garage

Well I got it back. So far so good...no more stalls. Come to find out it wasn't a connector issue rather heat related where part of the harness loops around the turbo and exhaust area. It really needs better heat shielding. Gave the harness to SMB and they are going have Ford look into why it happens but pretty safe to say that engine area gets hot! I think we all know that but I'd like to see what Ford has to say about it.

Installed the new 40HP FICM. Total difference. Much better hole shot, starts faster, and it seemed like my mileage bumpped up. I really recommend ED's FICM repair.

Now for some more testing.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #45

Dave, did the shop say how they went from harness wiggle failures at the ficm connector to the discovery of the harness damage at the exhaust and turbo? Both places were bad? Was the exhaust and turbo place worn or burned?

I can't see where the harness goes around the exhaust and turbo, but I'll certainly dig into it. Thanks for the info. Are you convinced yet the fault is fixed?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #46
Site Team

Garage

Well I ran the hell out of it from home down to Sherman Pass (CA-190), over the Sierra's back up 395 then up and over Sonora Pass CA-108 and back home. No issues. I'm still worried about the heat by the back of the engine.
The new 40hp FICM has been an issue on long steep grades. My EGT's jumped up about 150*. On the grade to Mono Lake on 395, I had to back off and drop to 45mph to keep the temp down below 1200. I had plenty of power but the temps soared when I put my foot into it.
Now I really don't know what the safe temperature is but always thought 1200???

I didn't have an outside air temp problem with the FICM. Last week I ran a short steep grade on CA-132 in 108* weather. The pass is so steep and windy that you can't go fast so the transmission stayed in the lower gears keeping the EGT's from reaching 1200. The real problem was watching the engine temps reach 244, by far the hottest I've ever seen. Still the idiot gauge on the dash never got close to the hot level if that even means anything at all. But all I kept thinking is the heat the new harness is being exposed to.

Currently Jay Mento (Ford) has the harness and is trouble shooting it.

BTW I noticed the exhaust belching a little black smoke when I hammer the throttle. Hope it's not a smog problem. I plan to run some fuel treatment through to makes sure it's not an injector sticking.
>>>Anybody have any ideas I'm open to suggestions.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #47

Dave--does your new wiring harness still appear to be the fix for engine stalling?

I am still troubleshooting mine. I found the bad area you mentioned under the turbo and exhaust by removing the interior engine cover--the doghouse. That revealed a lot more wiring, including two wear points. One was where the harness rested on a hex head bolt, and there was a hex indentation in the protective wrap. The other was at the edge of a heat shield, and the indentation was a line across the wrap. Neither place was worn through the outer wrap, and neither even got as deep as the wire's insulation, much less the conductors. I pushed and pulled, bent and wiggled every place in the wiring and could not initiate a failure. I added some additional protective wrapping for good measure.

The fix I was really counting on was based on my favorite theory, that stalling was caused by voltage fluctuations. A lot of my failures happened after camping a while with little solar charging, and the refrigerator had run down the camper battery. While driving, the battery separator would have the engine batteries and the camper battery coupled, and the alternator output would be charging all three. Then, the theory goes, the refrigerator would kick on, there would be a momentary voltage drop, and ficm or pcm processors would mess up. Or maybe it was the isolator kicking off and on. I disconnected the ground wire on the isolator so it would never couple.

I liked this theory better and better over the course of many days and 700 flawless miles. Then 20 miles from our destination it began failing again worse than ever, frequently, and harder after stalls to restart.

A number of fixes were done before starting the return trip. Ford rewrote the programming for the ficm and the pcm, which overwrote my Atlas 40 tune, but fit my troubleshooting plan. I replaced both engine batteries; they seemed very strong but they were 5 years old, so it didn't seem like a waste of money. A Ford diesel mechanic told me that the wiring harness itself isn't so likely to fail as two particular connectors, at the cam position sensor and at the injector pressure control. He tested the cps wiggling it around with no failure. Later I tested the ipc, no failure. Another new improvement was that I began using Ford cetane boost, after reading about the difference between what is sold at the pumps and what the 6.0 l PowerStoke should have. Throughout all this time I was having repeated hesitions and stalls all around town.

The 600 mile trip home was unlikely, but since my wife had gone separately I was prepared to diagnose or bust. The first 60 miles had engine stalls every mile or two, many just momentarily and starting again, others total stalls. Instead of mountain roads I was feeling much safer on the Interstate with a good shoulder and a clear view. I also got better at restarting on the fly, shifting into neutral and turning the key, usually restarting before slowing very much. In the middle of these 60 miles I spent an hour in a rest area with the doghouse removed again, wiggling things, including the ipc connector, which accidentally came loose, but the engine never failed. All that happened was the check engine light came on. It never comes on when the engine stalls.

After this diagnostic stop the failures continued, and I wondered if I should turn back. Over the course of the next half hour the failures diminished and I kept going. I kept going for the next 12 hours and drove 540 miles without another failure. Except for one tiny engine hesitation while driving at highway speed and exactly when I turned off the headlights. Ha! Didn't I say it was all a matter of voltage fluctuations?! But I couldn't make it happen again no matter what I did.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
...BTW I noticed the exhaust belching a little black smoke when I hammer the throttle. Hope it's not a smog problem. I plan to run some fuel treatment through to makes sure it's not an injector sticking.
If you're running a tune, the extra power is typically made by running a more aggressive fueling scheme, and I believe that's what can result in extra soot. Extra HP does also raise the EGTs more quickly, like you've discovered, but at least you're monitoring them. I never recommend anyone increase power on their motors (well, at least diesel motors) without at least an EGT gauge.

Herb
Old 07-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #49
Site Team

Garage

None of my stalls seemed to be voltage related but I don't know if there was an issue with anything that fed the FIMC...never monitored or tested it and just installed a new harness. The shop was able to kill the engine by moving the harness close to the heat shield. I also can't say there was a problem with a plug on any sensor that they missed before replaced it. I can see the situation where nothing was wrong with the harness except a poor sensor connection that was set back correctly when the harness was replaced. Only the shop would know and they are not talking. I gave Alan Feld the harness to have Ford to look at and they might be able to shed some light on the issue. I've gone a couple of thousand miles with no issues and no matter what was wrong, I hope that the issue is solved.
Thanks for the heads up on the reprogramming MS.

As far as the black smoke, I'm hoping that it passes smog. Interesting that Ford can put it back to stock. That bothers me a bit being I paid for the tune. They do have a program that ramps up the turbo faster w/o adding the HP boost. But if Ford reprograms to stock, I just threw money away.

Herb my problem is that Ed's FICM repair claims it will not produce or isn't supposed to produce smoke like I'm seeing and I don't recall seeing this until I took that 1500+ mile trip. I just added and am in the process of running injector cleaner through the oil and fuel. We'll see.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #50

Dave,
I also just recently did the PHP 40 HP and FICM upgrade with Ed and the fuel and oil injector cleaner stuff. For the first 6 weeks I just did commuting. I did notice very improved responsiveness. This last weekend I finally had a chance to go on the road; San Diego to Bishop (Lake Sabrina). About 2/3 of the way there my CEL came on with a P0404 (EGR related?) and lots of black smoke with any type of heavy acceleration. After sitting for 3 nights at the camp site the CEL is no longer on but the Scan Gauge continues to show the code. I drove it home and fortunately it was mostly down hill. 70 mph was no problem I just can't accelerate. I did not have any stalls. I am also observing a jump in my average coolant and oil temperature delta. So when time permits this should allow someone to diagnose the problem. The EGR valve has never been touched at 67K miles so I'm hoping it is something unrelated to the PHP 40 HP.

Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote