Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #51
Site Team

Garage
Re: 6.0 PSD just dies

So do I Pat.

Prior to my FICM install, Ford pulled and cleaned the EGR cooler. I have yet to program my scan gauge so I don't know if Ford did something wrong on the EGR or the FICM is causing the black smoke under heavy acceleration. I do know that if need be Ford can re-flash the FICM but then I'll also loose the econo tune as well as the HP tune Please post up what you find. I'm going to put it through the mill this week. Wish me luck.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #52

Just to clarify even though it was just commuting I was doing some heavy pedal tromping quite frequently during the last 6 weeks. I did not have any hesitation or notice the black smoke until the P0404 presented itself on Friday after several hours of hard driving and then that long climb on I-15 north.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #53

Here is the end of my story about engine hesitations and stalls. When I last posted I still suspected voltage fluctuations were messing up the FICM or PCM engine computers. I had ruled out my favorite theory about interference from the camper electrical system, because I still had failures while driving with the battery separator ground wire disconnected. Without the ground, the separator would not connect. It was a SurePower 1315.

On a long trip I ran successfully with the Ford battery cable disconnected from the separator. Then I needed to charge the camper battery (to run the refrigerator on cloudy days), and I ran a long way with all the cables from the separator joined together full time with a bolt and nut, and with the separator out of the picture. After 2000 miles and no failure I ordered a Blue Sea 7622 and installed it, and have had no further failures. I agree with other forum members who have recommended the Blue Sea. Thanks!

Lastly, I inspected the SurePower--I had to drill out the rivets to get it open. It was burned and corroded inside, and the contacts looked bad. I suspect it was sticking in the on position, or shorting, and was sending bad vibes into the Ford engine computers.

I have run an additional 2000 miles flawlessly, feeling huge relief and finally recovering a bit of confidence in the 6.0 liter PSD.
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #54

Garage

Electrical gremlins are the worst. Glad you figured it out.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #55

I expect that the return spring broke on the solenoid. That would explain how a disconnected unit could still cause you problems. Nice find.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #56

Greg, thanks for your comment about a likely broken return spring. I believe it, and it would help make sense of my observations.

Dennis
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #57

Just wanted to add my experience as reference to others.

2007 6.0 with 65K miles when I bought it. Within the first week I had an issue with loss of power and hesitation off the line with a puff of white smoke. Engine code- P0404 EGR Circuit Range. Here is the EGR Valve when I pulled it. All the carbon build up restricted the valve travel.

You can see my EGR Delete/Oil Cooler replacement starting here; http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ost1083839

When my FICM went bad at 73K miles, it showed up as hard cold starts. On my ScanGuage, I could see the main FICM voltage dropping into the 30's at startup and slowing climbing back up as it warmed up. I believe that when my batteries died a year prior, that it started the demise of the FICM. I now keep my rig on a battery tender at all times.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #58
Site Team

Garage

To update, I ran both hot shot oil and fuel additive and the black smoke is gone for the most part. Can't say if it was injector sticktion or not. I really need to run it under the same summer conditions. Everything is working fine for the last 4K miles knock on wood. Very happy with the high end FICM. Now get the hood louvers in to kill some of that heat.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote