Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

6.0 PSD Oil Fill Tube Bracket question

Hey guys, I need some help. I've searched the diesel forums and googled my brains out with little success. After recent work on the AC and a fuel filter billet cap installation (at two different places) I noticed that the bracket that holds the oil filler pipe is missing. One mechanic says it's not there on the trucks but isn't sure about the vans and the other says it was already missing when he worked on the AC. Either way, the oil filler pipe has way too much play.

So, the missing bracket appears to have gone over both the oil filler pipe and the foil covered AC line (I think that's what it is) as shown by these two pictures. There are three strut mounts to which it appears to have been bolted. On the 2005 van with the 6.0 the oil filler tube is located on the driver's side at the top.

I'd appreciate if one of you SMB homies with the 6.0 could pop the hood and indeed confirm that the bracket is indeed on the vans and there isn't any play in the tube. Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
bracket2.jpg   bracket1.jpg  

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #2

Re: 6.0 PSD Oil Fill Tube Bracket question

Things look different on my 2004. But there is virtually no play on the oil filler tube. Maybe 1/4" when you wiggle it hard. But oddly enough I have a missing bolt of some sort too in what I think is the same basic location. I was not able to get the angle you took your shots at so not sure about all of the brackets but one seems to be just to the left coming out of the filler tube top.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #3

This, from a thread I posted in the Powerstroke forum: The bracket goes from the far right alternator stud over to a stud behind the intake elbow. It supports the oil fill tube and the hot side cac tube with 3 bolts. It's common to find it or the CAC tube brackets broken off. I'm sure most guys just toss them out when they find them broken.

This makes sense to me, especially since I recently had the alternator replaced. There's too much play in the oil filler tube for my comfort level. I'll post up if I find the actual part.

Thanks for the reply and pic PatO!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #4

We have an 05, and there is definitely a U shaped bracket arching over all that from the alternator toward the driver's side. Nearly no wiggle to the oil-fill tube.

-e
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #5

That bracket also reduces the movement of that big charge air cooler (CAC) tube. Movement over time can allow the CAC tube to blow off of the turbo, a huge PITA to put back on.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #6

My CAC tube has zero wiggle... That sounded fine in my head but now that I've typed it out I'm wondering if I'm breaking any forum rules?
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #7

OK, narrowing it down a bit with some help from Tousley Ford. Great place if you need OEM parts.

I haven't figured out yet if this schematic is for the F series or E series or it may not matter. But the bracket may be SK864 which also attaches to the thermostat housing. I could live with a little play in my filler pipe ...
but having the CAC boot blow off would be unbearable
Attached Thumbnails
SK854_bracket.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #8

Ok, if anyone else is missing the bracket the part # is 4C2Z-6K864-AA. It also bolts to the aluminum intake elbow as well as the alternator. $21.99 at Tousley. You will also need two M8 locking nuts and two M8x30mm bolts.

Thanks for all the replies
Old 04-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Ok, if anyone else is missing the bracket the part # is 4C2Z-6K864-AA. It also bolts to the aluminum intake elbow as well as the alternator. $21.99 at Tousley. You will also need two M8 locking nuts and two M8x30mm bolts.

Thanks for all the replies
I know super old thread but did this also hold the oil filler tube? Mine is missing and I pulled the oil filler right off the valve cover again. This has been an ongoing issue for me it seems. My mechanic did not put the O ring back on the tube where it goes into the valve cover and tried to silicone it in. No dice. I almost poured all my oil on the ground in the shop.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
I know super old thread but did this also hold the oil filler tube?

Yes, the oil fill tube bolts to it. I can send a pic of it installed if you need as the whole thing goes together kind of like a puzzle if you haven't seen it before. Just be aware the part description at ford for the bracket is "Bracket, charge air cooler". Here is a picture for reference.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote