Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

6.0 PSD Starting Batteries - Size?

Hi All,

I have been searching all over and can't seem to find any info on the sizing of our starting batteries for the diesel. I'm hoping someone can tell me the dimensions or group size without my having to go drop a battery to figure it out.

The batteries have been dying a slow death and Ford doesn't want to warrant them(even tho I believe their longevity was cut short by a previous warranty issue). I have been throwing them on the charger with ever increasing frequency to make sure I can start up in the morning.

I also remember reading that someone replaced their starting batts with AGMs which seems to make sense, since the Tripplite charging pattern is set for the 4D AGM house battery and is not optimal for the starting batteries.

I wonder if that may have had some detrimental effects on the batteries as well?

Any thoughts and info will be appreciated. Thanks,

Tim

Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: 6.0 PSD Starting Batteries - Size?

Scatter made a post (I think) about going to Optima batteries. Look in the electrical section (possibly FAQ section). I wondered about wet vs AGM but xantrex told me not to worry about it, but yes, it does seem logical. I'm still running wet M-free as starters ...If I find the post I will link to it if needed.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #3

They are Group 65 batteries, 750 CCA. Mine died last Saturday, or at least one did. It also was nice enough not to fail when I was at the river the weekend before (95 degrees, 15 miles off road). I had a battery fail around 1.5 year old and Ford replaced it under warranty BUT they only replaced one which irritated me at the time. I'm replacing both with Kirkland 65-850's at about $72 each. 3 year full replacement, 100 month prorated. I just don't see the need for more expensive batteries if you aren't doing extreme trips. I'm doing it myself and it is looking like about a 4 - 5 hour job.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys. I was able to find Scatter's battery thread which was helpful. The Kirkland batteries sound like a good idea.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 05-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #5

The batteries I just replaced probably were not completely shot. The terminals, especially the 3.5 yr old replacement battery was really corroded and and had lots of stuff preventing good contact. It only showed about 8.5 volts when I pulled it. The 5 year old battery was much better corrosion wise but had low voltage too. Basically I don't think either battery was able to charge because of the corrosion. BUT it is so much work to drop them that there was no way I was putting those old ones back in. Out of curiousity I've charged them up and I going to try to test their health. I would think a battery terminal cleaning around 3 years out might be a good thing to do. It could probably be done in about 3 hours. Interesting enough the day after I finished I had to take the van in for a power window regulator replacement and they did a free safety check including the check mark that my battery terminals were in good condition. There is no way you can see them without dropping the boxes down so I wonder how much of the rest of the check is truly legitimate. Anyway - nice to not have to worry about "electrical power" for a while.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #6

Yeah PatO, that corrosion was one of the main reasons that I went with the Optima's. Been using them in lots of rigs and never a spot of the dreaded puffy white stuff. The vans batteries are just too hard to get to so was worth a "few" extra bucks to go with sealed.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Yeah PatO, that corrosion was one of the main reasons that I went with the Optima's. Been using them in lots of rigs and never a spot of the dreaded puffy white stuff. The vans batteries are just too hard to get to so was worth a "few" extra bucks to go with sealed.
I've really never seen battery posts so corroded and gucked up before. The positive terminal nut was so eaten away that a wrench just slipped around it and I had to use vise grips.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
I would think a battery terminal cleaning around 3 years out might be a good thing to do.
I was having to clean mine every six months at the most. The corrosion was even eating into the battery boxes. What a mess. I think part of my problem was over charging by the van alternator/regulator. I had it replaced six months ago (it checked out fine, but got Ford to do it under warrantee cause I was such a PIA. I think they did it just to get rid of me) and all seems to be well now. Time will tell.
I just think that seeing as how Ford put the batteries in such a tough to get to place (I don't know where else they'd put 'em) that they should have installed sealed batteries in the first place. Course, tis just my humble opinion....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #9

Whenever I replace a battery, I always coat the terminals with heavy grease (boat trailer grease or other wheel bearing grease) before assembly. The grease does not interfere with the connection, but a coated terminal does not corrode. The grease keeps the acid and the air away from the terminals and makes it easier to take apart next time.

I had an invisible corrosion issue with my battery separator and after a thorough cleaning it also has grease coated terminals and no more problems.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Whenever I replace a battery, I always coat the terminals with heavy grease (boat trailer grease or other wheel bearing grease) before assembly. The grease does not interfere with the connection, but a coated terminal does not corrode. The grease keeps the acid and the air away from the terminals and makes it easier to take apart next time.

I had an invisible corrosion issue with my battery separator and after a thorough cleaning it also has grease coated terminals and no more problems.

Mike
A dielectric grease would be even better.

Herb