Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
That would definitely be the "easy button", although they currently don't have any diesel drivelines in stock.

https://www.clevelandpap.com/product...gine-packages/

It still blows my mind a Cummins 6 will even fit in a Ford van.
Not only will it fit, it will fit with a good bit of room to spare. It's neat to see in person. I've seen one. Once. I have yet to see a 5 speed (or any manual) swap in an Econoline and would donate a kid (not a kidney ) to drive one.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #22

For the body off idea, Remember that pulling the body requires the body bolts to come out from inside, you have a full SMB interior and getting at the bolts under cabinetry and the subfloor is tricky, we’ve done it.
We did a v10 to diesel swap a couple years ago, we still have everything from it, all harness’s, modules etc. Big job but very doable.
As mentioned the 6.0 can be a reliable solid platform when done properly.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Not only will it fit, it will fit with a good bit of room to spare. It's neat to see in person. I've seen one. Once. I have yet to see a 5 speed (or any manual) swap in an Econoline and would donate a kid (not a kidney ) to drive one.
I have pondered a 5/6 spd in a van many times, although to be honest I wouldn't want the shifter on the floor - just too inconvenient. I would want to figure out some way to make a column shifter work. These vans were available with a column shift 3 spd option into the early 80's, although they are rare.

Given my current track record on projects, the only way I'd do a Cummins swap is if I could pay MG to do it. Right now, I just need to sort out the current crop of projects so I can start working on my van. Then I'll be able to decide if I want to convert it or go a different route.

There is definitely something strange about the diesel love. My van is my 3rd diesel vehicle after my 03 TDI wagon (still have, but currently in pieces), a '95 Cummins 4x4 5 spd (sold after it constantly broke on me) and now the van (which currently has an unknown no-start issue I haven't had time to fix). Obviously, the love is for the fuel mileage, but there is a valid argument you can buy a lot of gasoline for the added diesel premium.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post

On the SF Bay CL several months ago (6-12), there was a ZF-6 swapped 7.3L Ambulance. It was wild. The guy didn't want very much for it ($10K?) but it looked beat to hell and I know this is controversial in these parts, but waaaay too many miles for me, even for a 7.3L.

Should have saved the listing or at least the photos, sounded like the owner was tired of the 4R100 and wanted to row his own gears.

I'll see if I can't dig some photos up. Definitely looked like a one-off, but looked (surprisingly) good. I don't remember his exact setup but I think he bent the gear lever and avoided having to do a dog-box-delete.

Edit: Probably more applicable than the Ambulance to most of us: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...7/post-1569162

Edit: And if you run the same name on Expedition portal, it would appear that you were at that very thread back in 2014
Old 04-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #25

That looks way better inside than I would have expected it to. Maybe because I'm used to car transmissions I have a mental image of the shifter ending up behind the seats in a van.

Of course, the Holy Grail for me would be a Cummins 6 spd MT 4x4 swap.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
That looks way better inside than I would have expected it to. Maybe because I'm used to car transmissions I have a mental image of the shifter ending up behind the seats in a van.

Of course, the Holy Grail for me would be a Cummins 6 spd MT 4x4 swap.
There was someone on YouTube the other day who I think said he had bought a.... I think he said a Ford F800, 1997. P-pump 12V Cummins mated up to an Allison Trans, as from the factory. 150K mi, $1,500. Really the only issue might be (That Michael might know more about) that the transmission is too wide to physically fit, since space wasn't really a limiting factor on an F800.

Would perhaps be a more easy swap than grabbing a piece here and another there.

I'd be interested in a 6-speed swap, but since i wear oil tankers for shoes, I've always had issues with pedal spacing in any 3 pedal vehicle.

If emissions wasn't an issue (Eg: Montana registration or smog-exempt for other reasons in whatever state it's registered in) i'd be interested to hear the pros-cons of 12V, 24V, and 6.7L Cummins motors. Feel like a 12V could be built to a pretty high spec for the cost of a 6.7L but it would be a lot louder and need an older van donor chassis to get the smog exemption/meet smog in a lot of cases.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #27

That is one advantage of my '92 in PA - it's essentially smog-exempt, so any swap I'd care to do would be allowed. I wasn't thinking about the noise, but I can imagine that would be a BIG reason to go for the 6.7 over a 12V or maybe a 24V. The 12V that was in my '95 Dodge was pretty loud at speed and there was a lot more bodywork between the passenger area and the engine.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #28

Finally found where this discussion was...

That 6 speed ambulance is still for sale.. here it is/was https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...850169495.html
Offroading_is_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #29

In 30-odd years of playing with Ford trucks, I've never heard of the E4OD described as "notoriously weak"...
Old 04-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #30

I did see (I forget where on Craigslist) that someone had said they put an Allison behind a 7.3L as well..

Is that a common swap for pre-5R110 4x4 vans? I have always thought one of the bigger/biggest drawbacks of my van was the 4R75W, and I've heard a complaint here and there about the 4R100's, not that people were badmouthing the transmissions, merely that they wished it had an extra gear or two.

I've also seen people trying to sell 5R110 transmissions, claiming they will fit older 5.4/6.8/7.3L vans and trucks as well, but I know nothing about the mating surfaces and how those changed over the years. If you toast a 4R75W/4R100, best to replace it with a 5R110 or similar?