Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #21

20 mins would be the warm up period, let the heat soak set it and then report back. I'd say 1.5 hrs of mixed driving for full heat penetration, but I could be wrong...

But so far the temps seem good.

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #22

Good point. Thanks.
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #23

Got some more testing in this weekend. Pulled a boat (~2,000 lbs) for about an hour. Mostly flat roads, averaged about 45 mph. Outside air temp was 85 and all the temps (TFT, EOT and ECT) were just over 200 by the end of the drive. I'm feeling OK about that but I'm still curious how hot it will get on a sustained climb or longer drive with higher air temps.

For now I think I'm going to start with the least invasive option, which is increasing air flow by working on the air scoop under the bumper.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawpappy View Post
Got some more testing in this weekend. Pulled a boat (~2,000 lbs) for about an hour. Mostly flat roads, averaged about 45 mph. Outside air temp was 85 and all the temps (TFT, EOT and ECT) were just over 200 by the end of the drive. I'm feeling OK about that but I'm still curious how hot it will get on a sustained climb or longer drive with higher air temps.

For now I think I'm going to start with the least invasive option, which is increasing air flow by working on the air scoop under the bumper.
A few members have done that. First, Zeta and then Tapatio. If you haven't already perused this thread have a look at post #68. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...r-10712-7.html

Seems like a pretty cheap mod compared to other options like a bigger tranny cooler.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #25

Crawpappy......your AN fitting is really close to what's needed if not exact..

...other than finding a place to drill a few holes to mount the TruCool on the radiator support, the install is easy...except for the fittings.....I had to use two fittings to make up the correct fitting......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Crawpappy......your AN fitting is really close to what's needed if not exact..

...other than finding a place to drill a few holes to mount the TruCool on the radiator support, the install is easy...except for the fittings.....I had to use two fittings to make up the correct fitting......
Good to know, thanks. Did you lose much fluid in the install or is most of it in the pan when cool?
Old 05-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #27

Crawpappy, if your debating the benefits of a larger trans cooler like the true-cool I had a noticeable reduction in heat permeating into the cab area after my install. Not sure if your in a hot climate often but a large transmission, with 5 gallons plus of fluid, right under the dog house area at 170 degrees vs. 220 degrees just seems less hot from the drivers seat on a long climb. I didn't do any science to prove this so could be placebo effect, but seems plausible.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #28

Eric - that's a great point. I definitely live in a hot climate.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #29

Garage
I've been concerned with heat issues as well - found a pretty good solution for $89. Ford apparently has an "update" for the FICM & PCM.
Came across this a week ago on the way to the East Coast meet-up...hit a long uphill grade and at the end I had the "check engine" light come on. Fortunately we googled and a found a Ford dealer only about 6 miles from our location. FYI - the Van weights about 11,500lbs loaded - so it works harder than most pulling the weight around.

They hooked up and cleared the code (EGR cooler again - get one about once a year after a long steep grade, but all checks out fine when they run the diagnostics).
At the end, the Tech told me I had the "old" programs, and that Ford has a "New updated program" available for $89 - so i had him load it.

The "New" download actually ended up lowing all 3 temps by about 7 degrees. On steep grades my Oil temp didnt exceed 219 (had been getting as high as 227), Coolant was 117 (had been getting around 223), and Tranny temps didnt get higher than 202 (had been getting to 210, and in-town driving temps went down to 192 and had been getting to 202).
I'm not a Mechanic, but watch my Scan gauge closely, and the results of the new program certainly have made a difference.
We hit quite a few long steep grades through the next several days, and the lower temps remained consistent

This was for my 2006 6.0 (brand new BP engine installed in mid 2015, along with both harnesses), not sure if anything is available for the newer engines, but may be worthwhile to check.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #30

Well, all they did was load the latest PCM flash (change in strategy). The $89 is the labor which probably took less than 5 minutes. Did they also reprogram the FICM? The latest FICM updates are also known to limit power output and reduce fuel economy.

The result might have lowered your temps somewhat but I will bet dollars to donuts that your van will not get better mileage and will likely have less power. The latest FICM flash from Ford apparently isn't too bad and get's rid of the inductive heat strategy that used to burn the FICM's up, but the PCM flash is to be avoided at all costs. IMO, of course but the older PCM strategies get the best mileage. I don't think they did any running changes for transmission tuning. Report back when you drive it some more and get a handle on fuel consumption.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote