Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #31

Garage
Shortly after they performed the "update" I realized my temps had gone down...and that benefit is still evident. I knew the update changed operating parameter, so i did check Fuel economy for next 3 tanks of fuel. I had been averaging about 13mpg on mostly flat terrain (thought that was Ok considering I'm lugging around 11,500lbs of vehicle), and now I'm averaging just over 15.8 - And thats with all the mountain driving.

Clearly I have a benefit on the fuel economy end as well. I also have not experienced any noticeable "loss of power" (that would have certainly reared its ugly head in all the grades we went though). Again, I'm no mechanic, so I have no knowledge to interpret why the changes produced these results...but the Temps and fuel economy are measurable gains.
I'm still on the prowl for something to help reduce my Oil temps, but have not uncovered anything other the BPD Oil cooler - but I have to work around an Aluminess bumper with winch. Had read someplace recently that someone on the Forum tapped a BPD oil cooler using the Amsoil Bypass Oil filter hoses - but have yet to verify that has enough volume flowing through it to make a difference.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #32

Impressive! Lower temps and a 3 mpg increase from a Ford re-flash. Who knew?

Your oil temps don't seem all that high to me.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #33

Garage
its time for me to do a tranny cooler upgrade. i saw 230 on a rather easy climb the other day and it wasn't all that hot out yet. just has me worried...

reading through this thread i gather that the tru cool max 40,000# cooler P/N LPD47391 is the best/easiest to retrofit for my 03 7.3 4r100 setup? seeing as how it comes with 3/8's fittings, that kit will be all i need to complete this conversion? no barbs needed?

i also recall seeing carringb mention a magnefine filter was a good idea when completing this work in another thread. is the link above my best bet?

a buddy told me the best upgrade for the f-series was the dorman 918-216. however looking at the measurements, it sure doesn't sound like that setup would even fit in the desired location on an e-series without considerable fab work. thing is huge. anyone successfully installed one of those?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #34

I remember having to go to NAPA to get some fitting when I did mine. Maybe it was the wrong hose size, and quite possibly they've changed what they include when I did it.

The Magnefine is pretty much a must for the 4R100. I've only used the plastic version, but I see not reason the metal version wouldn't work.

Any idea if your temps are hotter than they would have been previously in similar conditions?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #35

Thanks for the inspiration...going to order those parts now!
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #36

Are you able to watch the torque converter slippage?
On the torque pro app, I'm able to...
Worth looking into because the converter is the biggest generator of heat in the trans.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #37

Garage
^^^ we don't have the torque pro app. will look into that, but ive not noticed any slippage.

the plastic version has been discontinued, so that's the only choice now. is there a particular place i should install the filter? also, it doesn't appear to be cleanable and i cant find any mention of it anywhere. just replace it every 100k like they recommend?

temps don't seem to be much higher than norm, until i start really using the rig up a hill, then it seems to shoot up higher than i remember last season. just rolling around slowly temps seem to stay right around the 200 mark. I'm wondering if my current tranny cooler may have some blockage??

and ill keep that in mind about the kit. thanks for the response as always carringb. i (the forum) definitely appreciate your seemingly endless wealth of knowledge about these vans.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #38

The magnefine should go after the coolers. Proper routing is radiator-->Tru-Cool-->Magenfine.

Is your fan kicking in? I had to replace my fan clutch a few years ago. Eventually the hydrostatic valve stops working. If it's not working, give it a good smack while its hot (and engine off of course) then try again. Sometimes it'll unstick itself with a little persuasion. But anything more than 15 years old is probably a candidate to just replace it. When my fan is fully engaged it sounds full Peterbilt.

FWIW - sometimes having the A/C on helps reduce trans temps, since the extra heat sometimes is enough to make the fan engage when it otherwise won't.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
its time for me to do a tranny cooler upgrade. i saw 230 on a rather easy climb the other day and it wasn't all that hot out yet. just has me worried...

reading through this thread i gather that the tru cool max 40,000# cooler P/N LPD47391 is the best/easiest to retrofit for my 03 7.3 4r100 setup? seeing as how it comes with 3/8's fittings, that kit will be all i need to complete this conversion? no barbs needed?...

On my '01 Excursion (7.3L) I had someone install a 6.0L trans cooler which is much larger. Can't remember if it required any fittings to adapt it. This is a pretty common upgrade for 7.3's, and if someone on this forum is swapping out their 6.0L trans cooler, maybe you can score a deal.

Also, as Carringb mentioned, make sure your fan clutch is operating. Mine crapped out a number of years ago, and you would hardly ever know it unless you were towing in the mountains.

Herb
Old 06-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #40

Can anyone post a photo of how they mounted the Tru-Maxx in their van? I'm currently trying to figure it out. The BadgerTrek photo (link) seems to have a lot more space than mine (see below) , perhaps because mine is a bit newer.

As you'll see in my photo below I have some supports behind the grille that would make it hard to mount sideways. Or has BadgerTrek just removed those supports somehow? Or are people mounting it lower, or vertically?

crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote