Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #41

Not sure if it helps but here's a pic of mine installed. Had to move a horn.
Attached Thumbnails
Tru-Cool Installed.jpg  

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #42

Edit: (I see you have the power steering too) Just cut the passenger-side vertical support for the current cooler, then bolt the upper mounting tabs on the new cooler to the header that the supports are bolted too. Basically it will will mount where the current cooler is, but extend all the way to the top of the opening, and also offset towards the passenger side. Horn will have to move.

I anchored the bottom tabs using the included universal straps, anchoring one to the remaining factory cooler support, and the other to the side radiator support.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5968.jpg   IMG_5521.jpg   IMG_5519.jpg   IMG_5518.jpg  
Old 06-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #43

Here's where your will fit:
Attached Thumbnails
New cooler.jpg  
Old 06-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #44

Thanks for the info! That's pretty much what I had come up with while I was tinkering around, so it's good to have confirmation. I'm going to get it mounted while I wait on the hose adapter to arrive. Here's what I found, that I believe will work: https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-hos...l4/i/G2764867/.
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #45

Arrow

Got the brackets mounted where I think their going to work based on the previous suggestions and the horn relocated this morning.

Now just waiting on the adapters I ordered to arrive.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #46

Garage
sorry, asked for advice and then went camping for 4 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The magnefine should go after the coolers. Proper routing is radiator-->Tru-Cool-->Magenfine..
wouldn't it be better to put it before the coolers to keep them from getting clogged up over time if debris is floating around in the system?

Quote:
Is your fan kicking in? I had to replace my fan clutch a few years ago. Eventually the hydrostatic valve stops working. If it's not working, give it a good smack while its hot (and engine off of course) then try again. Sometimes it'll unstick itself with a little persuasion. But anything more than 15 years old is probably a candidate to just replace it. When my fan is fully engaged it sounds full Peterbilt.
fan definitely working and engages right about 210-212 degrees eot. and ya, loud as hell.

Quote:
FWIW - sometimes having the A/C on helps reduce trans temps, since the extra heat sometimes is enough to make the fan engage when it otherwise won't.
i didn't notice any difference heading back from this last weekends adventure. no ac on way there, but needed it on way back. did notice that rear ac quit working

just for reference, at 65 mph tranny temps were 190-195ish and eot was roughly 200ish. almost identical on way home but had a Porsche in a hurry so we jumped onboard for a while at about 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Not sure if it helps but here's a pic of mine installed. Had to move a horn.
Thanks, appreciate the pix from you and everyone else. should make it pretty straight forward once parts show.

also spotted a dually 4wd van in our travels over the weekend. that's a first for me.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #47

Garage
so for anyone on the fence, the coolers are on sale right now for $111.00 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tru-Cool-Ma...72.m2749.l2649
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 06-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post

i also recall seeing carringb mention a magnefine filter was a good idea when completing this work in another thread. is the link above my best bet?

a buddy told me the best upgrade for the f-series was the dorman 918-216. however looking at the measurements, it sure doesn't sound like that setup would even fit in the desired location on an e-series without considerable fab work. thing is huge. anyone successfully installed one of those?
Just a heads-up that I had to return the filter because I realized too late that link is for the 3/8" version and my van has the 5/8" hoses. I talked to the company and for some reason they said to go with the 1/2" version since they don't do 5/8". Not sure how that's going to work out but I'm trusting them for now..

Edit: hoping it's inside diameter measurments vs. outside diameter measurments.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #49

Garage
well great. appreciate the heads up.

anyone know if they changed hose diameters after a certain year?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post

Quote:
The magnefine should go after the coolers. Proper routing is radiator-->Tru-Cool-->Magenfine..
wouldn't it be better to put it before the coolers to keep them from getting clogged up over time if debris is floating around in the system?
When my previous transmission was on its last legs (and puking metal chunks into the coolers), I came to that same conclusion. I was able to do a couple more trips, while all the parts for the new transmission showed up, just by changing out the filter every 300 miles.

Right now I don't have a filter in place, but have putting one back in on my todo list. I'll likely put it pre-cooler again, complete with a valve to bypass it and the oil to water cooler. I just need to figure out how to make a bracket to mount that valve.

I'm curious about the argument for putting it after the coolers. I suspect there's a good one, otherwise carringb wouldn't recommend this configuration.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote