Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
I'm curious about the argument for putting it after the coolers. I suspect there's a good one, otherwise carringb wouldn't recommend this configuration.
I’m also curious and look forward to seeing why as well.

Also thanks for that info about your experience, could be useful someday.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #52

Post-cooler was required previously for all vehicles so the filter wouldn't be damaged by extreme oil temps.

Now Magnefine says new vehicles can go pre-cooler (maybe because of the change to a metal housing?), but all others still go post-cooler:

On new vehicles (less than 5,000 miles), it is recommended that the filter be installed on the cooler supply side to protect the cooler from contamination. On in-service vehicles (more than 5,000 miles), the filter should be installed in the return line from the cooler to the transmission. On any vehicle that has experienced any transmission difficulty, the filter should be placed on the return side.

Keep in mind the filter is intended to prevent fine contaminants from building up in the system. Large contaminants are captured by the in-pan filter. But your transmission shouldn't be making large contaminants anyways.

FWIW - My Magnefine filter is post cooler. The last time the pan was dropped was at 170,000. I drain and fill the transmission every 100,000 miles now. Currently at 454,000 miles.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #53

Garage
I guess I need to work on my reading skills. Thanks for the info.

100k before changing fluids? I know you use your van harder than most. What fluids do you use in your tranny?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 06-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #54

I just run the cheap Napa stuff. Nothing special, other than it's Mercon-V (as opposed to Dex/Merc which does not play well with the 4R100). 100,000 miles is when it starts to look pale pink instead of red.

FWIW - To meet Mercon V spec, it has to be full-synthetic. So when you pay extra for "synthetic Mercon-V" you're actually just paying extra.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Post-cooler was required previously for all vehicles so the filter wouldn't be damaged by extreme oil temps.

Now Magnefine says new vehicles can go pre-cooler (maybe because of the change to a metal housing?), but all others still go post-cooler:

On new vehicles (less than 5,000 miles), it is recommended that the filter be installed on the cooler supply side to protect the cooler from contamination. On in-service vehicles (more than 5,000 miles), the filter should be installed in the return line from the cooler to the transmission. On any vehicle that has experienced any transmission difficulty, the filter should be placed on the return side.

Keep in mind the filter is intended to prevent fine contaminants from building up in the system. Large contaminants are captured by the in-pan filter. But your transmission shouldn't be making large contaminants anyways.

FWIW - My Magnefine filter is post cooler. The last time the pan was dropped was at 170,000. I drain and fill the transmission every 100,000 miles now. Currently at 454,000 miles.
Thanks for typing that up.

To me this sounds like they want to catch any debris that might be in the coolers already on older vehicles. I seem to recall reading that Ford would install them with a rebuilt transmission and not swap out the radiator.

Your point about temperature is good. I obviously didn't put enough miles on them with my dead transmission to know. They completely clogged in a couple hundred miles, as would the coolers if I had the filter out or post cooler. The filters were easy to swap, the coolers were a pain to back-flush, so they went pre-cooler.

I really don't want to engage in risky experiments with the new transmission. So perhaps I'll pick up a metal filter if I go pre-cooler this time, even if I still have a couple of plastic ones. I only have a couple thousand miles on this transmission. And the cooler/radiator/lines were all new when the transmission went in.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #56

Looking for some confirmation here...when looking at the front of the vehicle, which hose on the stock cooler is return?
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #57

The one that goes directly to the transmission rather than to the oil to water cooler in the radiator.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #58

Quick update from me. I got everything installed using a variety of fittings and was feeling great about it. Sadly after my first drive I returned and found the fittings to be slowly leaking.
I talked to the fellow at TruCool and he recommended added some liquid Teflon tape to all the male connectors. I'm returning from a vacation today and hope to try that this week.

Some good news is that the tranny temp appeared to be a bit lower than normal during that quick drive.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #59

Garage
Hey crawpappy, did the 1/2” magnefine filter work ok?
Old 07-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Hey crawpappy, did the 1/2” magnefine filter work ok?
Haven't gotten it installed yet. Still got a bit of leaking from my adapters to the Trucool I'm working on.