Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #61

Garage
Bummer. Hate battling leaks.

We installed ours yesterday. I went around my fittings twice with Teflon tape and haven’t seen any leaking yet, but only idled for 30 min and did a 5 mile drive from the shop. So will continue to monitor.

I’m waiting to get my 1/2” replacement filter from magnefine. Keep us posted and if I get mine installed I’ll post up my results.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Bummer. Hate battling leaks.

We installed ours yesterday. I went around my fittings twice with Teflon tape and haven’t seen any leaking yet, but only idled for 30 min and did a 5 mile drive from the shop. So will continue to monitor.

I’m waiting to get my 1/2” replacement filter from magnefine. Keep us posted and if I get mine installed I’ll post up my results.
Will do. My little leak was showing by the point...so you're sounding good in my opinion. Nice work!

Curious - what did you end up doing for your fittings?
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #63

Garage
I used the thread in barbs and hose clamps that came with the cooler. Really straightforward install. Removed the air deflecting upright on the passenger side out and had to take an inch of the passenger side rad mount to install but overall the install too under an hour.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
I used the thread in barbs and hose clamps that came with the cooler. Really straightforward install. Removed the air deflecting upright on the passenger side out and had to take an inch of the passenger side rad mount to install but overall the install too under an hour.

That's identical my install, except the pax side fitting is the one I swapped out. I put a 90 there, and looking at your pic, I must not have liked the hose routing using the straight fitting. Looks like you might benefit from a 90 degree also, to keep the hose from kinking?

Also, check the bottom edge of the body work where the hoses pass through. The seam is sharp enough to wear into the hose if its rubbing.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #65

OK, that explains why yours sounds much easier. The fittings that came with the cooler don't fit my hoses, which some other folks have mentioned. I've had to fashion a reducer from 3 different parts, and I've got a leak in one of those junctions.

I think the 6.0 diesel has bigger transmission lines??
Old 07-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #66

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
That's identical my install, except the pax side fitting is the one I swapped out. I put a 90 there, and looking at your pic, I must not have liked the hose routing using the straight fitting. Looks like you might benefit from a 90 degree also, to keep the hose from kinking?

Also, check the bottom edge of the body work where the hoses pass through. The seam is sharp enough to wear into the hose if its rubbing.
Ya, I liked the install pix you posted and was hoping I could mimic your install but didn’t know if I could seeing and reading all the different ways people “had” to do theirs. So much variation with the eseries you just never know how it will go together until you have it tore apart.

The 90 degree connector is a good idea and understood on the reasoning. Thanks for the heads up. I did check the bodywork in that area and didn’t see or feel anything nasty that I needed to worry about. Still, I have a week long adventure I’m doing over in eastern Idaho/western Wyoming so I’m going to keep an eye on it and possibly change it up depending on how things rattle into place after the dirt road travel. I was ok with the line placement and kink as of now, but I know the line will settle to where it wants to be after a few hundred miles and when I install the filter I’ll double check and see what needs to happen then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawpappy View Post
OK, that explains why yours sounds much easier. The fittings that came with the cooler don't fit my hoses, which some other folks have mentioned. I've had to fashion a reducer from 3 different parts, and I've got a leak in one of those junctions.

Not sure on the lines, but thats why I never assume my install will be like others even though we all technically have the same rig. Like stated, so much variation with these vans. I always wait till it’s all tore apart and I can mock it up, then see whose notes I end up having to reference, lol. Either way, sorry to hear all your issues

Also thanks to all who have provided input on this thread! It’s nice to hear the various issues people had so you know what to look for once you tear into the project. One of the many reasons I love his place
Old 07-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #67

Garage
Been monitoring this Threads development because I'm considering doing the same modification with the TruCool Max 40,000# cooler.
I've been fighting EOT & ECT's that remain on the high side of normal for quite some time, so just had a Mishimoto Low-temp thermostat put in & had the Fan Clutch replaced. Next day I loaded a 5-Star 40hp tune that would activate the fan earlier - The combination is working great. Its managed to lower both by 14 degrees.
BUT, now that I see the great pictures Shenrie posted (and the size of the TruCool) I'm a little hesitant because of the size of that cooler in front of the radiator. I have to ask if anyone that has done this Trans upgrade experienced any rise in Coolant temps?
Old 07-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawpappy View Post

Ya, the fittings on the Tru-Max (intended for a 7.3) are 3/8" whereas the lines and fittings on a 6.0 with the 5R110 are 1/2". I cobbled something together to adapt the coolers odd flair to a 1/2" barb but also had issues with leaks. Never did find a solution other than brazing the pieces together. Specifically it's a 3/8" inverted flare to a 1/2" barb with a hose clamp.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
BUT, now that I see the great pictures Shenrie posted (and the size of the TruCool) I'm a little hesitant because of the size of that cooler in front of the radiator. I have to ask if anyone that has done this Trans upgrade experienced any rise in Coolant temps?
Not me. My T-stat rarely even is fully open.

Keep in mind that heat rejected by the oil-to-air cooler is heat that won't go into the coolant, through the in-tank oil-to-water cooler.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #70

For those with the 1/2" hose. Don't be an idiot like me and try to Frankenstein your own reducer, just order this instead: https://www.amazon.com/LTWFITTING-Re..._&dpSrc=detail.