Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #11

Re: 6.0 PSD won't start after long drives

Tom,

Have you tried hooking up a code reader to see if you are getting any engine trouble codes? With any newer vehicle that has an OBDII (which your does) this is the first place to look if you are having any engine trouble. Many auto part stores now will pull codes for you for no charge. Also if you have a Scangauge you should be able to see any trouble codes.

Good Luck!

John

Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #12

John, a scanguage is on order. If the problem is the high pressure oil pump, would the scanguage diagnose that?

thanks..

Tom
Old 10-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #13

Tom,

I don't have enough experience with the Ford diesel to answer that question, however I would think if the engine was not starting it would be throwing a trouble code. I have a ScanGauge and downloaded a copy of all of the trouble codes to my laptop which I carry with us when we travel, just in case.

I also have a healthy distrust of most repair shops so I like to have an idea of what the problem is before taking my vehicle to them. It is easier to keep them honest this way.

I am in Normandy Park and would be happy to hook up my Scan Gauge to you van and see if anything codes come up if you want to chance bringing it over.

John
Old 10-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Site Team

FWIW, whem my '06 6.0L wouldn't start last week, my ScanGuage did not read any codes.

Herb
Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #15

I believe the HPOP fitting does not throw a code.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #16

Well, you folks diagnosed my problem correctly, it was indeed the high pressure oil pump. I took The Van to the dealer today, told them what the symptoms were, and what the cause probably was, and it's being fixed under warranty.

Is this a great forum or what!

Tom
Old 12-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo

I'm glad it all worked out.

What dealer did you take it to? Were you happy with them?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #18

Velogeo, ever since I got The Van, I've been taking it to Bill Pierre Ford in Lake City. I've been very happy with their service, even though it's been pretty much limited to oil changes. But they've also done the SMB recommended service on the front end and transfer case with no complaints. They really worked hard on this fix though. They found leaks around the high pressure oil pump and that was what was causing the problem. Just to be sure, I took The Van up to Snoqualmie Pass and back, turned it off, and it started right up. So I hope it's been fixed. If you decide to give them a try for service, ask for Greg, he's very nice and thorough.

Tom
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #19

Well, I am currently stuck in Fresno getting the HPOP replaced/fixed on my 2006 6.0. I drove up here last night from LA and when I came back out from checking into the hotel (I'm here on business) the van woudn't start. 2 hrs later it BARELY started and it started in the morning but then wouldn't start again after about 20 mins of driving.

After explaining the symptoms to the service guy, the local ford truck shop pretty much immediately diagnosed it as a HPOP leak and are presently dropping the engine mounts, etc. and finding/fixing the leaks. Lucky for me, this is the shop that works on all of SMB's rigs so I didn't get the typical Ford Service response of "I'm not working on that!"

Will let you guys know how it turns out but I suggest that if you are having these types of symptoms, get it in ASAP.

For the record, my symptoms leading up to this were that for the last month or so, the van was a little hard to start from dead cold. The starter would "spin" for quite a while before the van started with the convincing rumble turn-over. However, once warm if I turned it off and then back on I did not have the same problem described. Until last night. When the van wouldn't start, the starter was just spinning and spinning and I could tell from the scan guage that the batteries were fine. After it cooled off and I tried to start it, the starter would spin and spin and then it would just kind of sputter to idle. Not the convincing turn over you are used to with a diesel.

I just hope I didn't burn out the starter.....
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #20

It sounds like they are all starting to go out at this age. Our HPOP STC fitting gave out a couple of months ago while we were (luckily) on a county road. We had no forewarning, the engine just died while descending a hill, taking the power assist on brakes and steering with it.

We were a bit tweaked that the last shop visit we had previously had claimed to replace the old design STC fitting, but the shop we were towed to found the old part still in place.

I would suggest anyone who has a van of similar (05-06) vintage consider replacing the old 2-piece STC fitting in the HPOP with the new single piece design if you may be in remote areas. There is an O ring in the old design that degrades with time and ends up letting the high-pressure oil leak back into the regular oil-system so the injectors cannot be driven.

-e