Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #31

Re: 6.0 PSD won't start after long drives

Thanks for the list Eric. I've spent a lot of time with the dog house off and under the van. Just checking things like you mentioned. Found a few items, but not too bad. But then, I've had VERY little work done that I didn't do myself. Just a couple of warrantee things.
When I get home, I'll look into the HPOP and getting that done. Kind of dumb not taking care of something that is a known problem that can strand one so easily.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
I'll look into the HPOP and getting that done. Kind of dumb not taking care of something that is a known problem that can strand one so easily.
Now how do you convince Ford to do it on their dime?

Herb
Old 12-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #33

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo

Is there any way to hurry the problem along? Maybe breakdown right in front of the dealership?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #34
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlaws
Yep. The ONLY thing they did was the HPOP. Had to isolate where the leak was coming from then drop the motor and fix it. Didn't touch a single other thing.

Bryan, just to clear things up, was the cause this fitting everyone is talking about or was there more to the breakdown/repair? Why the heavy cost? I'd like to know if the engine has to be dropped to replace that fitting. I sure would not want that to happen in the backcountry.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #35

New Oil leaks and longer cranking times to start our 06 PSD led me to the nearest Ford dealer (Santa Cruz) last week. I left it on Friday and picked it up today with the following warranty repairs:

Removed engine
Replaced bed plate gasket
Replaced HPOP STC fitting
Replaced front cover gasket
Replaced rear cover gasket
Replaced front crank seal
Replaced cam sensor O rings
Replaced High pressure pump cover gasket and O rings
Reinstalled engine

I just finished a two hour test drive, and much to my surprise, no leaks (yet), everything works, including all the SMB added goodies.

The dealer would not use my Amsoil to refill the crankcase and insisted on using their QSD 15W40 oil.

Overall , I’m pleased with the results but anxious about what could be in store for the next 40k miles.

11 RB150 MB Sprinter w/pop top
Burklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burklin
Overall , I’m pleased with the results but anxious about what could be in store for the next 40k miles.
Based on our experience, I would say you are in for some great adventures. Hopefully, yours are all good.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #37

Dave, my experience was pretty much the same as listed above. A true, complete HPOP failure would not be an field expedient type fix for sure. But mine did show signs well in advance of even the first time it wouldn't start. But like others, once I let it cool down a while it would eventually start (and appeared to run fine after that).

They did, indeed have to drop the engine and the source of the problem (like so many other things) was the failure of a $.50 o-ring (which he should me).

I wouldn't want to pay for it, that's for sure so I virtually threw my $100 warranty deductible at them in haste.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #38
Site Team

Garage

Thanks, I'm a bit worried because after Ford replaced an injector, EGR, and pulled the manifold, I've had a problem with cold starts. Not bad, but different than before they worked on it. On top of that I've always had the smell of oil burning after the IPC failure in Nov 2008 They claimed it was just residual oil on the bed plate but the smell has never stopped. I do not have anything on the ground showing, but the troubled starts have me thinking. I have found if I crank the engine for a few seconds and the try to restart it, it kicks over fine. Maybe this is normal but my rig used to crank up right away in one shot. Could be more than one issue. Someone on this site or the owners group posted about a method to reset the computer by appling full throttle a few times and turning the ignition off in a specific proceedure but I can't find the post. Wishfull thinking. My warrantee will be coming to an end next year. Fords service is so poor I'm wondering if I want to go with the extended warrantee plan but at those prices....wow. I could only imagine what it would cost to have a mechanic drive to the top of an OHV trail to fix something like what you had replaced

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #39

Now I'm worried! When I started this thread, I was really concerned that the Ford dealer wouldn't be able to solve the problem with The Van, but thanks to the collective wisdom of the members of the forum, I was able to sound like I knew what I was talking about and said "I think it's the HPOP". They fixed it, and I was pleased to give them my $100 deductible for two days of work and The Van seems to be fine. I consider myself fortunate that when the HPOP decided to go toes up, it didn't fail completely. It was a rather anxious 3 hours though, waiting for everything to cool down enough until it would start again, but I did make it home. If it wouldn't have started, I would have been faced with about a 7 mile hike on a paved road to the nearest phone.

Paved Road is the operative phrase. Because I was on a paved road, AAA would have rescued me. But how many times have I been way hell and gone down an unpaved road? I didn't buy The Van to stay on Paved Roads.

I'm a little gun shy now, what else can happen? Are there other gremlins lurking in my 2005 6.0 PSD waiting to manifest themselves, at the dead end of a dead end unpaved road with no cell service?

Tom
Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #40

[quote="daveb"] My warrantee will be coming to an end next year. Fords service is so poor I'm wondering if I want to go with the extended warrantee plan but at those prices....wow. [quote]

Don't worry about it Dave. I heard Ford will no longer offer an extended warranty on a 4wd van.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote