Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #1

6.0 Quigley Oil Filter relo adapter issue

Something for you guys with high mileage 6.0 Quigley, or 4x4 conversions with the oil filter relocation adapter to watch for.

My van started running a little strange about a week ago. Longer cranking than normal, then it would fire up aggressively. After that a couple times if it wasn't up to full operating temp and I had been on the throttle moderate to hard and lifted the engine would die. It was hard to get restarted and required lots of cranking and application of throttle.

Oil pressure on the dash gauge was good, and ICP / IPR on the Insight were normal while driving. Playing around with it to recreate the issue while watching the gauges on the way to work yesterday I did get it to stumble lifting off throttle and the ICP did drop below 500psi for a second.

So after work I decided to take a look under the hood just after starting it up. Looked under the van and oil was pouring out of the top of the oil filter relo adapter block. Shut it down right away. Waited a few minutes to check the oil, and there was nothing on the dip stick!! A coworker gave me a ride to pick up some oil. It was 2 GALLONS low! I drove it 7 miles home and it lost a couple quarts in that distance.

I was hoping it was just the o-rings on the hard tubes that go into the adapter, so I called around first thing this AM and found some locally. But when I pulled it apart it is actually not the o-ring at fault, the adapter housing has deep grooves worn into it. Not a part you can get on a Saturday afternoon, so my van is disabled in the street in front of my driveway.

It took 156,500mi to wear out, but there is a fitment issue that caused this. The hard lines are meant to go into the top of the factory Ford filter housing. The spacing between the two holes is much closer on the factory housing than on the adapter block. There is a different hold down for the adapter block that pushes the hard tubes apart, but I think that causes the tubes to not have proper alignment going into the block. I've always had a slight drip on at that adapter.

Sorry, this long is long winded. Question: Has anyone removed the oil filter relo bracket/block and installed it in the stock location on their Quigley? I held it up in the stock location and it seems like it will be clear of the drive shaft. At ride height the min clearance is a little over 2 inches. So little uptravel in the suspension that I doubt at full bump the panhard would pull it over 2 inches. I was going to install it, but then realized that the hole spacing was different, and the tube hold down from the Quigley adapter will not work. I have the Ford part number for the stock one. Would feel better about it if someone else could confirm it will work.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpg  

moto657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #2

I had the same thing happen at 150k on mine as well. The leaks did not leave me stranded but they required purchasing a new block. The block was $75 from Quigley and i bought an extra so i can go at least 2-300k before needing another. I am sure someday they will be obsolete and we will need to repair them at a machine shop instead.

Personally I would not run the filter in the stock location as it will absolutely strike the front driveshaft under a flex situation where the front left tire is at the bump stop and the right is drooped.
Torquemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #3

[QUOTE=
Personally I would not run the filter in the stock location as it will absolutely strike the front driveshaft under a flex situation where the front left tire is at the bump stop and the right is drooped.[/QUOTE]

I went back to the stock location. Initially I ran some clay on the drive shaft to check clearence. It has about 3/4in under all conditions.

I've put 20,000mi on the van since with no drive shaft contact issues
Old 04-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #4

I have a quigley 6.0 that is on motor #2. 1st motor never had starting issues prior to blowing up. Motor #2(ford long block) was taking up to 12 seconds to start. My mechanic changed out the ICP and determined that it was most likely something internal and would need to be taken to a dealer for warranty reasons. It has been at the dealer for itleast a month now without much progress. Im wondering if it has the same issue.
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
I have a quigley 6.0 that is on motor #2. 1st motor never had starting issues prior to blowing up. Motor #2(ford long block) was taking up to 12 seconds to start. My mechanic changed out the ICP and determined that it was most likely something internal and would need to be taken to a dealer for warranty reasons. It has been at the dealer for itleast a month now without much progress. Im wondering if it has the same issue.
If it does you'll see oil leaking at the oil filter line connections.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
If it does you'll see oil leaking at the oil filter line connections.
Im literally in an Uber to go pick it up from the dealer who has had it for two months and done little to nothing. Ive never seen oil on the ground would it be a small leak? Are there any other causes for extended cranking that dont involve major surgery? Assuming the issue is under the motors warranty I have to bring it to a dealer or the shop who installed the motor and they are five hours away. Just trying to rule out any minor causes before taking it on a road trip.
seal is offline   Reply With Quote