Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #1

6.0 semi bulletproof w/Pics

so i have a 2006 6.0 PSD with 135k miles, routinely maintained by ford and the previous owner. i wanted to address most of the common 6.0 problems before major damage could happen.

What ive installed:
EGR delete
New oil cooler
HPOP STC Fitting
Blue Spring upgrade
updated turbo drain tube and fill line
new thermostat
and Red ELC coolant *Peak Global Force*
Fuel filters, and 6.4 Banjo bolts

I also installed a DC Power 185amp alternator at this time

I also slpit open the turbo and went after the soot build up and light rust with a wire wheel / brush and scotch bright

I have to install the EGT Probe and Sinister Coolant filter kit for the E series vans.

doing the coolant flush prior to the tear down took a day, and i took about 1 1/2 days off, but doing this with hand tools only in the driveway took me about 5 1/2 days working at a relaxed pace. getting the turbo out, and then back in took me quite some time and lots of cursing.

I also have new stand pipes and dummy plugs but i dont think its possible to install those with the engine in the van.

i have an Edge CTS Insight for my guages, monitoring EOT/ECT, FICM Voltage, Battery Voltage, Boost, Trans Temp, Fuel economy and RPM. RPM will be removed and EGT monitored once i install the pyro.

eric3187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #2

Re: 6.0 semi bulletproof w/Pics

Strong work Eric

From the blues clues you presumably used the Sinister delete kit? And the Ford upgraded oil cooler with the extra passageway? This is on my to-do list but my deltas are still decent. Slowly accumulating all the parts.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

My mechanic installed the stand & plugs in the van while the top half was already taken apart. He charged 500 labor and and said it was much more work than he thought. You have to loosen the motor mounts and jockey the block around is what I understood. Unfortunately 4 months later the engine was pulled for new cylinder heads and studs so it was ill timed.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Strong work Eric

From the blues clues you presumably used the Sinister delete kit? And the Ford upgraded oil cooler with the extra passageway? This is on my to-do list but my deltas are still decent. Slowly accumulating all the parts.
the delete kit was actually from XDP, the sinister/mkm website says no shipping of egr delete to colorado. i would imagine they are all the same though.

the cooler was also from XDP which claims it to be a new ford cooler...
the instructions/info sheet in the box do not say "ford", but even if it only lasts as long as the stock cooler that i removed(which was not plugged or clogged) that is still just shy of 136k miles.

all the work i did was more preventative work, than fixing an issue.

I am waiting on my tuner (SCT X4) to show up so i can get the strategy code and get my custom tunes loaded.
i am getting tunes from 5star tuning and picked the Economy,tow 50, tow 65, and street 100.

future plans are to get the FICM tuned with the older ficm flashes that help with cold starts, and the PHP atlas 40 tune on it, which reportedly helps with drive ability, turbo lag, and increases fuel mileage
Old 10-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #5

Sounds like you know your way around the 6.0. I have a 65rwhp tune from Eric at Innovative and the Atlas 40 and like them both. If you do the Atlas 40 I don't think you need to do a roll back on your existing FICM tune. And I believe the main advantage to going to an older strategy is for better fuel economy. The more recent strategies are better for colder starts. Some good info here: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-p ... lback.html

This is the EGR delete I'm considering. http://www.iprresearch.com/IPR-GEN2-EGR ... -F450.html
Old 10-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #6

good to know about not needing the roll back, makes getting the tune that much affordable.
How is the driveability with the 65 tune from eric and the atlas 40? does it make the van a "new van" so to speak?

that IPR delete kit looks pretty cool, interesting take on it.

this was actually my first encounter with the 6.0, not too intimidating, i think working on a truck would be much easier, but deffinately glad i saved the 1800-2000 in labor costs most shops quoted me.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

nuther Eric
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187
good to know about not needing the roll back, makes getting the tune that much affordable.
How is the driveability with the 65 tune from eric and the atlas 40? does it make the van a "new van" so to speak?

this was actually my first encounter with the 6.0, not too intimidating, i think working on a truck would be much easier, but deffinately glad i saved the 1800-2000 in labor costs most shops quoted me.
Yes, it its all the things you say. Better throttle response and faster turbo spool-up. The wee bit of extra HP is nice but the modified transmission shift points with the custom SCT tune are even better. I don't really push it that hard but it's nice to know it's there if you need it. As for mileage, it's hard to tell since around the same time I added bigger tires going from 33s to 35s and added Deaver Springs which added another 1.5 to 2" to the lift. Maybe 1 to 3 mpg depending on the foot.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187

Yes, it its all the things you say. Better throttle response and faster turbo spool-up. The wee bit of extra HP is nice but the modified transmission shift points with the custom SCT tune are even better. I don't really push it that hard but it's nice to know it's there if you need it. As for mileage, it's hard to tell since around the same time I added bigger tires going from 33s to 35s and added Deaver Springs which added another 1.5 to 2" to the lift. Maybe 1 to 3 mpg depending on the foot.
great to know! i too will be jumping tire size, but only to a 265/75/16.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:27 AM   #10

Is "semi bulletproof" simikar to semi-pregnant?

Besides that, thanks for the pictures. You are not going to change the head gaskets, right?
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote