Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #1

6.0L Diesel Problem

I've had my 2004 RB, SMB since May, 2008 and this AM I started it up for a trip to the Mountains in CO and after a few minutes at low speed I sensed something was very wrong: unspent fuel pouring out the exhaust, poor or no tranny shifting (bad vac?), and a sense that the engine was missing under load. I creeped home and it seems to idle okay, but it is not acting right under load. The engine feels like it has lost compression somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first diesel. I have already had to replace the Alternator, batteries, and power steering pump.

Thanks,

David[/code]

Old 11-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #2

David,

That doesn't sound good. I am not an expert on diesel engines but the only thing that comes to mind is that you have a fuel injector that has failed and is dumping so much diesel into a cylinder that it isn't firing and the diesel is ending up in the exhaust.

Do you have a OBDII code reader. If so you should do a scan for any trouble codes. Also you may want to try searching/posting on the dieselstop.com forum to see if they have any ideas.

John
Old 11-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #3

John,

Thanks for the info. The odd thing is I'm not picking up any codes other and a pre-existing condition of having a bad glow plug circuit on clyinder #8 (I've changed the glow plug, but there is something else going on). The condition I described occurs even after the engine is warm so I don't think the glow plug is the relevenat.

Thanks again,

David
Old 11-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #4

David,

I agree a failed glow plug would just make th engine hard to start.

John
Old 11-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #5

Try posting your symptoms on the DieselStop forums. There is alot of good help on that site for diesels:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f14/

That particular forum is for Ford Vans. If you can't get in, you may have to start at the main page and sign up then cursor down to the E-Series vans forum:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

Not sure if this is your problem, but when the 6.0L first came out in the '04 E-van, the blue hose between the Turbo and the Charge Air Cooler (Intercooler) would come loose. It was usually the upper clamp that loosened which allowed the hose to slip (blow) off the tube. You would experience a loss of power, but the engine would still idle fine. This 3" hose is located on the passenger side, very visible when you open the hood.

I hope this helps,

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #7

John is right, it could be a blown turbo hose. When you are driving and that happens, you hear a bang followed by 'WHOOOOOSH' . Then it will idle fine and not make enough power to get up to highway speed.

Open the hood and find the aluminum turbo pressure hose. It comes from the turbo and passes beside the alternator and goes into the intercooler about halfway down on the passenger side of the radiator. It comes out of the intercooler on the driver's side and goes up and into the intake manifold. A leak anywhere will cause loss of power. All the connections must be tight and no movement between the tube and the rubber connectors is allowed.

I've had mine come off. I've cleaned it and put it back to no avail. Until the dealer put an updated (blue rubber) pressure hose on it, it kept coming off.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote