Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #1

6.0L engine fan

Just curious, how often does you engine fan come on in your van? The noise is unmistakable so you'll know when it's on. I've also heard that if you have the latest "flash" that the fan will operate more frequently.

It's been hot here (100+ deg.) and my fan comes on when pulling grades (not towing) and stays on for a bit. Not that I drive in the city much but it also comes on in stop and go traffic. Engine temp is fine.

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: 6.0L engine fan

Mine ('08) comes on at 215 deg. and stays on until the temp gets back below that. Usually for just a few seconds. If I'm climbing a grade or if it's hot out or I'm pulling my car trailer, it stays on as long as necessary 'til it gets it below 215.
Bill
Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #3

Mine was staying on for very extended periods on my recent tour de Colorado. Even when both engine and transmission temps were well below 200 (in the 180 maybe 175 range), it would still stay on then eventually shut down. Other times it would operate "normally" starting to engage at engine temp of 224 and fully engaged at 225 then disengaging somewhere in the 220+/- range.

It was on almost all the time while my off-road excursions in 4wd low.

I had the A/C on nearly the entire trip.

I really couldn't figure out why it would stay on so long at times. I'm on my third fan clutch and am just planning on bringing it up next time I visit Ford.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #4

I have an '07 and works the same as Skywagon.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #5

My 06 is the same as skywagon.

When outside temps are 75deg or above, my cooling van comes on often.

R
Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #6

I have the identical behavior as skwagon and scatter...except when my radiator developed a hole
Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #7

Like others, our fan comes on at 215, and will be at full ROAR at 225. However there are other conditions that make the fan run also. Large throttle openings will make the fan come on because the computer is expecting alot of heat to be generated; AC use will increase the throttle sensitivity. More rpms (downshifting) can make the fan come on even at no or small throttle openings.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #8

When I first heard my fan come on, on my 2008 6.0L, going up to Whitney Portal in July, I thought I had blown the engine ... it really is loud. It only stayed on a minute or two. It's only come on one other time ... when the air temp was 118F and I was going really slow.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Like others, our fan comes on at 215, and will be at full ROAR at 225. However there are other conditions that make the fan run also. Large throttle openings will make the fan come on because the computer is expecting alot of heat to be generated; AC use will increase the throttle sensitivity. More rpms (downshifting) can make the fan come on even at no or small throttle openings.

Mike
Same here. There are times when it kicks up other than the 215-225 zone.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #10

We picked up our new EB this spring, new to the forum and here is what I found about the fan. The 6.0 power stroke is a tight squeeze into the Econoline v. the F-series and had overheating problems so the HP is reduced a bit to help keep it cool. 268hp???, I can find the links again later. Still plenty of power of course.

Additionally, my experience with diesels is that they love to work for their breakfast. One hot summer I had a temperature alarm come on in a fire apparatus climbing a steep grade but just kept downshifting. Keeping the revs up, coolant moving and the fan spinning drove the temperature down in a few minutes. You don't want to labor the engine, keep the revs up and fluids moving.

We love our new machine and have been reading all these useful posts! Looking forward to some rallies and off-roading.

Kirk
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote