Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 AM   #11

I had turbo underboost also. I got a Garrett stock replacement put in. You don't need to upgrade your injectors or do head studs since it isn't a HP upgrade.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #12

Had the same issue a couple of months ago, ended up doing some PM while in there, very happy with the results.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ses-16653.html
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
A stuck turbo or sticking vanes will trigger other turbo codes besides P0299 (ie., P0478, P2262, P2263). If the vanes were stuck you wouldn't be making any power. When you take it in ask that it get diagnosed with the proper scan tool before they tear into it. Suggest that they put the turbo through a function test.
Those other codes don't always occur, even when it is just sticky vanes. It all depends on how "stuck" they are (sometime they don't won't move their whole range of motion) and if they are stuck, what position they are stuck in.

Jage - My first suggestion is simply drive the cr@p out of it, and make sure it's full of good/newer fuel when you do this. Hard and long. Maybe hitch up your biggest trailer and makes a couple runs up a mountain pass. And be sure to downshift when coming down to use some engine braking, to run the vanes the other way.

There is a boost control solenoid that can cause boost problems as well, but with hardly any symptoms, I strongly suspect its just the unison ring.

The leak thing is a possibilty too but usually its audible.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #14

OK so this morning they said Turbo and VGT, quoted $1600 for turbo (part only) and $400 for VGT, on top of 5 hours of labor. I said, seems like a lot for a turbo. He said $1500 for a stock replacement was the best he could do. I said let me do some research and call you back.

This afternoon I went in person, thread in hand.

First off, they stone cold don't believe in JoeH's $750 turbo- it cannot be real. They're so adamant that I'm going to get screwed they refuse to put their VGT with this "internet" turbo. For one they said it can't be new, and for two the guy claimed there is a $700 core charge alone on a turbo. So half price no core charge is impossible.

They're still going to do it- they just don't believe it won't blow up before I get out of the parking lot and they don't want their VGT getting blamed.

Second the tech said that there was nothing to upgrade while they were in there- I specifically asked about the oil hose and he said "it's just an extra bend it doesn't do anything". I don't know if this is true.

Last I asked about doing the upgraded turbo KCturbo, you know if I'm going to throw $1500ish at it, might as well upgrade- well their tech jumped in again and said you cannot put an aftermarket turbo on without a tune, it will throw codes all day, the CEL will be on, and without a tuner and a custom tune it would never be right. I don't know if this is true either.

It's weird, they're like pissed about the whole thing. I'm pretty sure they figure the internet turbo will be made of sticks and tinfoil and I'll be mad at them for it. I don't honestly think they're the one's benefiting from the markup, they seem genuinely incredulous about the price.

The problem is they are the best place around- I don't have time to take it to a dealer and the next closest diesel place cross threaded a frame bolt when changing the batteries for me (think about that for a minute...) so I'm not taking it there. I'm also not laying down $800 extra just so they're comfortable, but otherwise I don't know what else to do (maybe button it up like carringb said and move my storage trailer...)

Unless someone has a better idea I"m going to drop ship them the $750 turbo and a VGT and I'll sell my "core" to somebody on here who has more time to refurbish...
Old 04-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #15

Well, it's not really an "internet turbo" it's a Garret. Garret makes the turbo for Ford so where's the beef? Call Clay at Riffraff. He's one of the most reputable diesel performance shops in the business. He'll give you the straight skinny and offers the same turbo for $781.
Ford - 03-07 Super Duty 6.0L - Turbo & Related - Turbos - Riffraff Diesel Performance

The exact same turbo at AutoNation Ford is $1,018 with a $250 core charge. TURBOCHARGER | Genuine Ford | 5C3Z-6K682-CCRM

You won't need tuning as these are OEM replacement turbos. They are not rebuilds. It will not turn on the check engine light. What a load of crap. Hoever, if you upgrade to the bigger Garret Powermax then you will need tuning to get rid of the turbo lag.

I can't speak highly enough of Charlie and his customer service at KCturbo. Send him an email with some of your questions if you think you might want to upgrade to a stage 1.5. Charlie Fish kcturbosinc@gmail.com

edit to add: you most definitely want the upgraded oil feed and drain tubes. Those are upgraded parts and are a no-brainer and 2 minutes extra labor with the turbo out. WTF? The feed provides oil to the turbo for lubrication and the restricted bend in the drain tube is one reason turbos would coke up on the early 6.0s. Why else would they redesign the tube? ACK.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #16

So what would be the benefit of the stage 1.5kc or even the 2.0?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
So what would be the benefit of the stage 1.5kc or even the 2.0?
A little more power and lower EGTs in a nutshell. It will have a bigger compressor wheel and will spool up faster that stock. The thing I have noticed in mine beside overall driveability is how quickly the EGTs come back down after a pull. It spools up about the same as the stock turbo I had but the mid-range is where it shines. One reason why it's supposed to be really good for towing.

Some light reading:
6.0 turbo upgrade - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
KC Turbo 1.5 vs oem 2004 Turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

And a review: KC Turbos 6.0 Powerstroke Stage 1.5 Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

It will also have a 360 degree thrust bearing which is more durable and allows more oil to flow for lubrication. It has a 63.5mm billet compressor wheel. Stocker is 56mm. In contrast, a Garrett Powermax is cast.

Stage 2 and you'll probably want to upgrade injectors.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #18

$750 for the garret stock replacement is awesome!! I paid $975 for mine and honestly I think even that price is still a good deal. You won't be disappointed.

I didn't tune and I haven't gotten a CEL. no turbo lag either.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
edit to add: you most definitely want the upgraded oil feed and drain tubes. Those are upgraded parts and are a no-brainer and 2 minutes extra labor with the turbo out. WTF? The feed provides oil to the turbo for lubrication and the restricted bend in the drain tube is one reason turbos would coke up on the early 6.0s. Why else would they redesign the tube? ACK.
Quoted for emphasis. Thanks for all the advice JoeH!
Old 04-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
Quoted for emphasis. Thanks for all the advice JoeH!
Yeah, no worries. Us 6.0 guys have got to stick together

These are the part #s:

Updated Turbo Oil Drain Tube -6C3Z-9T515-A $21.45
Updated Turbo Oil Feed Line - 3C3Z-9T516-A $77.00