Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #11

I, too, had concerns about the 6.0L diesel as well as Ford's inability to get the low sulphur diesel (6.4L) in the E series for 2008. Due to this, and a couple of other reasons, I decided to go with a Chevy low emissions 6.6L Duramax. Although still louder than a gas engine It's quieter than the Ford, has plenty of torque for towing (460 ft/lbs @ 1600 rpm), and availability was excellent. (5 weeks from dealer order to delivery at Quigley).

The downside of this decision is the expense...it's a $6800 option over the big chevy V8. It's unlikely I'll recover this investment in fuel savings or even improved reliability but I wanted the improved towing and hill climbing ability of the diesel.

I think it comes down to how you're going to use the vehicle and where you plan to drive it. If you're going to generally cruise the freeways where the terrain has gentle slopes, then you'll probably be happier with a gas powered rig. Just my $.02.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies so far.
We intend to use it for extended 2 to 3 week trips to the Death Valley area a couple times a year as well as a bunch of 4 to 6 day trips in the Rockies and Canyonlands areas. Lot's of high altitude and steep terrain. No towing though.
On a side note one of our 6.0L's ambulances has been at the Ford dealer for 76 days in a one year period.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #13

I don't post on here very often, but wanted to give the pro's we have for the V-10. We have a 2005 SMB 4x4 V-10 and camp about 5 weeks total a year and go long distances like up into Canada and down South into the Sierra's.
1. It's extremely quiet while driving at any speed and a very smooth motor with more than enough power and torque. Mileage towing SMB trailer is 11.5 when I bother to check but didn't buy it for good gas mileage, just fun!
2. The V-10 as of 2005 also has the transmission grade-braking like the diesel
3. Low maintenance and much cheaper to maintain.
4. Propane heater and water heater are not an inconvenience at all and infact work very well and the propane seems to last forever.
5. Knock on wood, after 18000 miles never had it in the shop for any reason.

The list could go on, but we're extremely happy we went with the
V-10. We had a diesel work truck and it seemed to cost a small fortune to change the oil and the injectors were super sensitive. Also, very loud and annoying to travel in. The other thing to consider is that the 6.0 diesel in the vans has been seriously detuned compared to the trucks. Go to the Ford website and compare Horsepower.

Obviously the diesel is the more popular choice but we would definitlely go gas again. Just our opinion and now off to go do some skiing.

Marc in Whitefish, Montana
Old 01-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #14

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Automotive News wrote a great article comparing diesel costs on small trucks. Bottom line, you likely will recoup most of the initial diesel cost with higher resale...at least in today's resale market diesels are high demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarJR
The downside of this decision is the expense...it's a $6800 option over the big chevy V8. It's unlikely I'll recover this investment in fuel savings or even improved reliability but I wanted the improved towing and hill climbing ability of the diesel.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #15

That's good to hear!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #16

For prospective customers (like us), the diesel is the default offer by SMB.

If you look at the blank vans that have been pre-ordered by SMB-West, there are 31 diesels, 4 gassers. There are no EB gas vans staged.

If I want a gas version, they need to add 11 weeks of delivery from Ford. While I don't see a need for diesel, I don't think I care to wait for a 6 month delivery.:-)

Yes, I do appreciate that future buyers are the ones that drive the pre-ordering decisions by SMB. At the show in San Diego at the end of Dec. Liz mentioned that almost all the demand was for diesel engines.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburger
For prospective customers (like us), the diesel is the default offer by SMB.

If you look at the blank vans that have been pre-ordered by SMB-West, there are 31 diesels, 4 gassers. There are no EB gas vans staged.

If I want a gas version, they need to add 11 weeks of delivery from Ford. While I don't see a need for diesel, I don't think I care to wait for a 6 month delivery.:-)

Yes, I do appreciate that future buyers are the ones that drive the pre-ordering decisions by SMB. At the show in San Diego at the end of Dec. Liz mentioned that almost all the demand was for diesel engines.

-Mark

If you are in a hurry and are OK with the Quigley conversion. They have several vans ready to go through a dealer out east. Since you are in WA, you would have to pay shipping, but it might only be a couple thousand. Warnock is actually discounting some of these vans now. Slow economy and high gas prices I suppose.

IDENTICAL MATCHES:

STATUS YEAR MAKE MODEL TYPE ENGINE/GEAR COLOR

At Quigley 2007 Ford 4x4 S-34 Ext Cargo, 9400 lbs. 6.8L V-10 Gas E: White
Warnock Ford 973-644-3200 Ext 5286 4:10 L.S.
At Quigley 2007 Ford 4x4 S-34 Ext Cargo, 9400 lbs. 6.8L V-10 Gas E: White
In Stock 2007 Ford 4x4 S-34 Ext Cargo, 9400 lbs. 6.8L V-10 Gas E: White
El Kapitan Vans 714-896-8267 4:10 L.S.
At Quigley 2007 Ford 4x4 E-34 Reg Cargo, 9400 lbs. 6.8L V-10 Gas E: Black
At Quigley 2008 Ford 4x4 S-34 Ext Cargo, 9400 lbs. 6.8L V-10 Gas E: Black
At Quigley 2007 Ford 4x4 S-34 Ext Cargo, 9400 lbs. 6.8L V-10 Gas E: Green
At Quigley 2008 Ford 4x4 S-34 Ext Cargo, 9400 lbs. 6.8L V-10 Gas E: Black
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #18
Site Team

There are two reasons SMBw has so many Ford diesels in stock; the majority of the conversions they perform are on diesels, and when Ford, in early 2007, announced they would not be offering diesels in their E-series for some time, SMBw placed an immediate order for at least 40 Ford diesels (add that investment up). The Ford announcement was part of the ongoing love/hate relationship between Ford and International, which supplies the Ford diesel engines.

I believe the Ford diesel van issue has been resolved.

Herb
Old 01-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #19

Re: 6.0L reliability claims vs. Ford?

Saw this website the other day promoting claims against Ford regarding:

"If you own a Ford® Super Duty Truck or Excursion built with the 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Engine manufactured between 2003 and 2007, contact (the lawyers posting the ad) for a free consultation to discuss your legal rights."

With all the forum discussions about Ford diesels (7.3 vs. 6.0's), I did not know if this claims situation was old news or new news?

Anyhow, just FYI, the Ad was at:
http://www.fordtrucklawsuit.com/navistar/
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage
Re: 6.0L reliability

Doesn't look like that applies to E-series vans; the lemon law in Ca should but I've never researched it.

I've had some problems with my engine but most has had to do with the dealership working on the engine and some my fault. I've yet to loose a turbo like others have. The turbo seemed to be the #1 problem on the 6.0 from what I had read from members here but still, there were a bunch of these engines stuck in SMB vans that didn't have problems.
Some issues I have had or noticed:

>Turbo problems with early years and vehicles that sit. I use my 06 as a daily to weekly driver. Still others had problems with their turbochargers who went through several of them even when the vehicle was used on a regular basis...just didn't seem like it was that common of an issue where multiple turbos were replaced.

>Short drive times w/o letting the engine make it to full operating temps.

>Injector and EGR problems. I had both until I started using fuel additives. One problem was that a oil sample to the lab came back showing an injector ready to let loose. Ford wouldn't take the lab report and it took a tow to get them to do anything.

>A variety of sensor problems. I was towed for a failing HPOP sensor myself, but I don't hear much from others on this. The cam sensor seemed to be an issue with the 7.3.

>Bed plate gasket. Just a poor design by Ford.

>Over tuning the engine and/or not monitoring EGT's on hard grades. If I get too hot I pull over and let things cool down.

>Over idling. I did this and it did cause problems with the EGR. I now only idle enough to so I don't run hard on a cold engine and I also let the turbo cool off before shut down.

>I did loose a fuel regulator and vac booster the latter costing me a tow.

All the other problems have been non Ford issues as far as design goes. SMB wire harness took out a radiator, and last year I had a screwdriver do the same. Had Ford not tighten a heater hose clamp that ended in a tow. Had a bad electrical problem that was resolved.

I think of myself as one who has had several engine issues but getting a lawyer involved would be my very very last resort IMO, especially considering the conversion. JMO. Is it a lemon? I don't think so. Temperamental yes but I feel I’m just getting the bugs out

From My point of view, I suggest an extended warrantee, a couple tow services, and a savings account to cover bullet proofing the engine once the warrantee is up.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote