Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #1

Garage
6.0L Turbocharger. I may need a new one.

Before replacing the FICM last month, ('07 SMB, 80K miles), I had difficulty starting and until I got it going my engine was putting out black smoke when I floored the accelerator while cranking (to get flooded fuel out from trying to start incorrectly). Now my engine is balking at freeway speeds and up grades. It is not throwing any codes. The dealer told me today the turbocharger is quite dirty. He can clean it but recommends a new one (of course!). Anyone here that has cleaned, rebuilt or replaced theirs? What am I getting into?

Old 04-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #2

I've never did it myself but I've seen the 6 liter turbos taken apart cleaned, lubed, assembled and back in working order.
With our vans, the turbo is easy to access from the doghouse.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Site Team

As the previous owners drove their SMB to me when I bought it (a last trip for them), it threw a code and the dealer indicated the turbo needed cleaning. They did, and the turbo was fine for the rest of the time I owned it. I probably put 25,000 - 30,000 miles on it after cleaning, without any issues.

Herb
Old 04-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #4

My guess is that at 80k on a 2007 your rig probably sits a lot? You've really got to get out and romp on it every so often to knock of the carbon. You probably already know that already but the unison ring can get rusty with inaction. If you decide to rebuild it then upgrade to a stainless steel unison ring. That will help with the sticky vanes and also consider an 11 blade billet compressor wheel as an upgrade. I did both of those on my OEM turbo and it made a huge difference.

But for the labor and parts you might as well go for a new one. This is the one I would get. https://kcturbos.net/collections/6-0...nt=44700426638
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks for all the useful info. My scan gauge is showing NO CODES. If I have the dealer (a good diesel tech there) clean it today or soon, I will not have any aftermarket parts to use. I've seen a lot of remanufactured units on line for around $750 with names like Garrett. JoeH, that KC unit looks to be a bit more hot rod than I need.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Thanks for all the useful info. My scan gauge is showing NO CODES. If I have the dealer (a good diesel tech there) clean it today or soon, I will not have any aftermarket parts to use. I've seen a lot of remanufactured units on line for around $750 with names like Garrett. JoeH, that KC unit looks to be a bit more hot rod than I need.
You might not get a code but the lack of boost does sound like a dirty turbo. You can get a new Garret drop-in replacement for $769. https://kcturbos.net/collections/6-0...nt=33615717582

The KC stage 1 is still a plug and play replacement. It's not a huge performance upgrade but has a larger sized compressor than OEM and does not require tuning or bigger injectors. It will spool faster than stock without losing any top end. Better low end grunt is nice when starting from a full stop or when off road on an incline. I have the stage 1.5 on stock injectors and it really pulls hard in the mid and low range power band with lower EGTs.

The Garret Powermax used to be all the rage but really needs custom tuning and a different compressor wheel to operate correctly. It also has a pronounced whistle which some like.

Keep in mind that you don't just clean a turbo in situ. It has to be pulled and taken apart to clean it. If you go that route there is more labor and you should upgrade to the SS unison ring (it will never lock up again). Make sure they use a rebuild kit with a 360 degree thrust bearing and new journal bearings like this one. https://kcturbos.net/collections/6-0...-0-360-rebuild

Hope that helps with your decision and is not just another know-it-all smart alek post intended to mislead
Old 04-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post

Hope that helps with your decision and is not just another know-it-all smart alek post intended to mislead
Joe, don't worry about it. Your knowledge is welcome here! My regular repair shop will not do the turbo rebuild or replacement. There are no other independent shops in my area to do that work, so the van is at the dealer. I've had good experiences with the dealer (engine yank for the bedplate leak, new rear end, vacuum pump replacement, FICM replacement, etc) and got to know the techs individually. however, that comes at a cost. After a couple of discussions with the tech there, who has replaced and rebuilt hundreds of these turbos, I have to agree with him that a rebuild of mine will be the same cost as a re-manufactured unit replacement, though I will not be able to add any upgraded components that you recommend. He said he could clean it thoroughly, but even that requires removal and disassembly. Downside is that the unit alone will run me $1400 and the entire job $3K+. Too bad I saw many rebuilds on line for around $700! I'm just not in a position to replace it myself. Oh, and the dealer unit carries a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. That adds to the value compared to the 90 days for the online units. The job should be finished by Friday, but that is perhaps optimistic.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #8

Well good luck with it. Your quoted price seems a bit high. Removing the turbo is actually easier on the vans than trucks. Labor should only be 3 to 5 hours max to remove and clean the turbo.

Maybe you can talk them down in price on a replacement turbo. You can get one from Ford for less than $1000. https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...LXYxMC1nYXM%3D

Make sure they install the upgraded turbo oil feed and drain tubes. You might already have them since you've got a 2007 but good to check. A restricted drain tube is one reason the early turbos would cake up with carbon.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #9

You can get a BRAND NEW Garrett Turbo from Riff Raff diesel for about $796 free shipping. No Sales TAX. Not rebuilt. Exact replacement. Did mine last year and it is the exact part as Ford. Sold my core for $100. Have your mechanic install it.

Several of us have done this Jage Included.

Paul
Old 04-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #10

This^^^. The same Garret from KCturbo is actually cheaper but I bet Clay would at Riff Raff would price match. Great customer support there.