Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #161

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

I loves me some new tools!!! After a couple of decades foolin' around with tube benders and tube forming tools of various levels of suck, I finally found tools worth investing some coin into. I originally started looking for some Swagelok benders but came across a forum post about Ridgid's lower-cost copy. These are super nice and about half the price of the Swagelok units. I've bent some test pieces already and I'm very impressed. Same goes for the hydraulic forming tool. I've owned 3 different flaring tools and none of them even come close to this thing. It is a little clumsy with all of the dies and levers and dial but once you get it set up, you can make perfect inverted flares, bubble flares, push-to-connect.... I can't wait to use all this new bling on my stainless fuel lines!!

Ridgid 600 series instrument benders (1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2")

Mastercool universal hydraulic flaring tool.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #162

I recently got ahold of a Ford diagnostic tool and software and while it is refreshing to be able to do some things with these tools, I'm pretty disappointed in how limited the functionality of the software is. And by limited I mean that the software is basically dog crap for any sort of "customizing". I haven't tried all of my ideas for work arounds yet but it appears as though I'll have to get creative to do some of things I am planning to do. I've been buying up an assortment of E-series modules (instrument panel cluster, RCM, PCM, ABS, etc...) and I have an ever-evolving harness that makes up a bench-top CAN network to do some testing with. I'm able to connect to and run diagnostics on all of the modules so far, which is good. A little more work to do before I can claim complete dominance over my van though.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:08 AM   #163
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Very cool new tool bling---I too am a bit of a tool whore, nothing like something that actually works as we dream it will. Rigid always made great plumber's tools, still do for the most part.

Any good tube flaring kit is worth the money, especially to those of us fumbling with those older single rail models bought for $9.95 or so. I've yet to try or buy the in-line flaring version but they look great---that selection of dies looks like it'll fit most anything ever built.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
..... and I have an ever-evolving harness that makes up a bench-top CAN network to do some testing with. I'm able to connect to and run diagnostics on all of the modules so far, which is good. A little more work to do before I can claim complete dominance over my van though.
Dude: this is impressive.......keep going...

...and post-away, including pictures......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #165

Wow, what a wiring nightmare.. Iv got one, wire that is..

Good luck. I love my intercooled first gen And yes, its very loud.

If your ever in my neck of the woods, it would be fun to line them up.. And video..

Subscribed..

Old 02-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar
Wow, what a wiring nightmare.. Iv got one, wire that is..

Good luck. I love my intercooled first gen And yes, its very loud.

If your ever in my neck of the woods, it would be fun to line them up.. And video..

Subscribed..
Haha! One wire!? That's the life! Actually the wiring doesn't bother me too bad. There is a lot of it and it has taken a fair amount of time but careful planning and patience gets you through. Part of the goal here is to simplify things as much as possible so I can do this more than once without as much effort.

Thanks for following along!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #167

I've got most of the electrical stuff sorted out enough that I can shift my focus for a little while and start working on mounting the drivetrain. I'm using Solidworks as much as I can because once I finish getting a mock up of the engine measured and placed in the virtual world, making engine mounts and other brackets is a piece of cake.

Here I've done an overlay of E-series line drawings into the 3D model of the van frame. My crude Cummins mock up is dimensionally correct with respect to the engine mounts and oil pan and sits in the frame approximately where I plan to put it for my conversion (this is a rough placement though...still a lot of measuring to do and tilt to be added in...)

The line drawings came out of the body builders book. They're just screen captures that were placed into the model and sized to match known dimensions. Pretty awesome for visualization purposes if nothing else.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #168

Garage

I think you now need to apply to the big auto manufacturers for a Design job. You will know more than they do. Or maybe sit on an Emissions Board, to reduce some of this catalytic craziness, to reduce engine temperature, burnt oils, total engine failure, gas or diesel!
Very interesting project!
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #169

Garage

Looks like the oil pan is quite Low, isn't it? Do you plan to replace it by another ?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
Looks like the oil pan is quite Low, isn't it? Do you plan to replace it by another ?
I don't plan on a different pan at this point. In the CAD model the bottom of the pan is ~3" lower than the stock 5.4L pan. In reality, I'll probably be putting the engine up higher in the frame because of other things anyways. The model is still a work in progress.