Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #171

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

Consider a custom removable cross member, or two since your 4x4. The stock X-member blocks access badly.

Is the 6.7 narrower than a P-pumped 5.9? Because Iv determined a p-pump wont fit my 95 unless the turbo was allot closer to the head and I moved the engine back over to the passenger side where the gasser was. I'm centered now.

In other words.. My VE pump and stock exhaust manifold/H1C turbo barely fit. And you may find it impossible to install the engine assembled. Mine had to go in as a short block due to the x members.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar
Consider a custom removable cross member, or two since your 4x4. The stock X-member blocks access badly.

Is the 6.7 narrower than a P-pumped 5.9? Because Iv determined a p-pump wont fit my 95 unless the turbo was allot closer to the head and I moved the engine back over to the passenger side where the gasser was. I'm centered now.

In other words.. My VE pump and stock exhaust manifold/H1C turbo barely fit. And you may find it impossible to install the engine assembled. Mine had to go in as a short block due to the x members.
The turbo will be tight along the passenger side of the tunnel but there's still room. The newer 6.7's have everything tucked pretty tight along the engine block. I doubt there's room for twins in there but there seems to be plenty of room for the engine in its current configuration. I'm pulling the body off to make the install much easier.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #173

Are you using the PCM from the Dodge? If so, how many pinouts does it have?

I counted the pins on a 7.3L PSD PCM. There are only 112.

Are the Dodge PCM pinouts equally divided between receptors and transmitters?

Are any of the pinouts grounds? Or does the PCM just ground to the chassis/frame/body?

So are you just making sure that the range of voltage from a Ford sensor is translated to the higher or lower voltage and same range that the receiver pinout on the Dodge PCM is able to understand?

Are you using an Arduino to do the translation?

And then are you doing it in reverse for the Dodge PCM's transmitting pinouts to Ford components?

What Ford components? Aren't all the engine components Dodge components which don't need to be translated to talk to and from the Dodge PCM anyway?

So when you eliminate the Dodge PCM pinouts to and from Dodge components, how many pinouts do you actually need to translate?

What you are doing is very interesting.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Are you using the PCM from the Dodge? If so, how many pinouts does it have?
The Cummins has its own ECM (and the Allison has its own TCM). Cummins has two connectors, 96 pins each. One harness handles all of the sensors, fuel pump, injectors and turbo. The other, "OEM" (or chassis) harness, has several powers and grounds, various relay circuits, CAN wires and a handful of pass-through wires to other parts of the vehicle. Of the 96 pins, only about 50 or so are actually populated (in a Ram truck application) and of that 50, I only use 34. That 34 is a little misleading though because some wires, like the ground are bundled into one big wire in the harness. Same goes with BATT+.

The Allison has a single 80 pin connector but less than a dozen wires to integrate into the chassis harness.

Quote:

Are the Dodge PCM pinouts equally divided between receptors and transmitters?
Not really. The Cummins is very self-contained from a sensor I/O standpoint and the few inputs needed for the engine are handled via CAN bus. For instance, the A/C, cruise control and exhaust brake all provide inputs to the ECM via CAN bus.

The harness wire count is lop-sided towards powers, grounds and relay circuitry.

Quote:
Are any of the pinouts grounds? Or does the PCM just ground to the chassis/frame/body?
Yes, several pins are grounds which bundle into one connection that is grounded to the chassis.

Quote:
So are you just making sure that the range of voltage from a Ford sensor is translated to the higher or lower voltage and same range that the receiver pinout on the Dodge PCM is able to understand?
The Cummins ECM handles its own business. The only thing I need additional sensors for is input into the instrument panel (some of that via a custom microcontroller)

Quote:
Are you using an Arduino to do the translation?
I have a working prototype using the Arduino platform but it has limitations. I am trying to get a hold of one of these:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/et ... g-platform
but they're not available at the moment.

One of the bigger issues I have is CAN message translation from one bus to another. I need to monitor one of the 4 buses on the Cummins to glean data from it then translate that and broadcast on the Ford high speed bus. That might be possible with a configuration of Arduinos (and totally doable very easily with the CANtriple device). If nothing else, I can employee a nerd friend of mine to design a microcontroller.

Quote:
And then are you doing it in reverse for the Dodge PCM's transmitting pinouts to Ford components?
I reconfigured the Ford harness to mate with the Cummins OEM plug. Most of wires in the Ford PCM leg of the harness were either removed or repurposed to work with what was required from the Cummins. Lots of Ford specific stuff was removed. Relays and power wires were reconfigured to match the scheme of the Cummins wiring.

Quote:
What Ford components? Aren't all the engine components Dodge components which don't need to be translated to talk to and from the Dodge PCM anyway?
Again, the Cummins is pretty much self-contained. I'm not using any Ford engine accessories. Everything from the Cummins is being adapted to work in the Ford. For hard parts, that really only amounts to A/C and power steering lines needing to be adapted though.

Quote:
So when you eliminate the Dodge PCM pinouts to and from Dodge components, how many pinouts do you actually need to translate?
Not sure what you're asking here. Maybe some of the explanation above covers it?

Quote:
What you are doing is very interesting.
It has been a fun learning experience. I wish I weren't so busy at work because I don't get as much time with this as I want. I need to take some time off from the J.O.B and make some progress.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #175

Dude!!! That CANtriple device is maybe what I was daydreaming about this morning after posting in this thread.

That instead of looking up what each pinout is doing in some book and what the voltage range is and what a specific voltage input or output does, if you could just drive the vehicle and compare a log of: 1. what the vehicle is doing in the real world (maybe logged with AE?); 2. with the data logged by some connector which could be placed between the Cummins ECM and the harness to the Cummins ECM you could (in my fuzzy mind at least) extrapolate what each ECM pinout input/output voltage correlates to what the vehicle is doing in the real world. And thus calibrate or translate your input or output from the ECM from and to the vehicle sensors and control devices that way.

Anyway, your detailed explanation is appreciated and it will make the popcorn just that much tastier while watching your progress. Thanks!!!

P.S. I am way too old to say "Dude."
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #176

Impressive. I think I gave you the contact info for a friend who put a compound turbo cummins in his Ford truck mated to the Ford tranny. Did you ever talk with him?

I recently came across a guy putting a cummins into a Ford Ambulance. He already had the motor and tranny in and was working with a load of wiring. I probably have some cell photos of it some place.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #177

The CanTriple device was available today so I picked up a couple of them.

https://canb.us/

Can't wait to get my hands on this. I think it is going to work great for what I need to do to make everything talk to each other.

I also got my A-frame gantry hoist all set up and ready to lift/move around the Cummins/Allison with ease. Once I'm done with some maintenance on my wife's car and the assembly of a bunch of Sienna seat mounts I'll get going on the fabrication of motor mounts and trans x-member.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #178

As you might recall, I wasn't very happy with some Cummins/Allison adapter parts I purchased so I designed my own. Here are some shots of the torque converter adapter ring and the torque converter nose-to-crankshaft pilot bushing fresh out of the CNCs. These are raw machined parts now but I'm sending them off for plating next week to finish them off.

I've got the bellhousing adapter ring designed too and it is going to be awesome!!!.... but awesome has a high price so I'm saving up a bit before having that machined. I can use the very rough cast piece that I purchased for set up purposes. Then during final assembly I'll bring in the new part
Old 04-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #179

You're blowing my mind right now. Just plain blowing my mind.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:01 AM   #180
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
You're blowing my mind right now. Just plain blowing my mind.
That sums up my thoughts as well!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote