Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #181

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

Got the adapter parts back from plating....

In the foreground is the clocking ring for mating the NV271 to the Allison and hanging out on the left are the input/output flanges for the transfer case. Plating isn't perfect corrosion protection but it is better than raw steel...and it looks good!

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #182

Nice! Where did you find a machine shop to broach the splines?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Nice! Where did you find a machine shop to broach the splines?
Those are just the original flanges from the NV271 that I'm rebuilding...bead blasted then plated. Old parts made new again.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #184

I started playing around with the fitment of the Cummins today. I'm happy that it fits in the frame just like I expected. Some clearances are tight but for the most part things are fairly accessible. The radiator will have to move forward a little but I'd rather do that than reshape the doghouse.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #185
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
...The radiator will have to move forward a little but I'd rather do that than reshape the doghouse.
After everything else you've created out of thin air, you're not going to 3D print a new doghouse?
Old 05-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
...The radiator will have to move forward a little but I'd rather do that than reshape the doghouse.
After everything else you've created out of thin air, you're not going to 3D print a new doghouse?
Haha! If I had access to a 3D printer with a large enough build envelope, I might just do that!

Seriously though, moving the engine back to accommodate the radiator actually causes more problems than just reshaping the doghouse. For example, building a core support is easy compared to relocating the intake horn...
Old 05-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #187
Site Team

On a side note, not that it would be large enough to work for you, but when I saw Sam's Club selling 3D printers, I knew we were entering a new phase in this country.

Herb
Old 05-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #188

Pulled the Allison apart last night for some upgrades and general inspection. Low mileage trans so everything inside looks like new. I discovered that it is configured for the PTO gear so I have that option if I want to add it in the future. I'll get the cases cleaned up really nice while I'm waiting for the brown truck to drop off parts then I get to put the complete drivetrain together and work on mounting it in the frame.

Inside the front half

A look at the back half

Empty case ready for cleaning

Pile of parts

I'll be installing new billet output shaft, 4x4 tail housing, new valve body harness connector (it was cracked, probably in shipment), deep sump pan, new oil cooler lines, new gaskets and seals, shift kit and new case bolts (some were missing when I got it).

Speaking of complete drivetrain, I scored a deal on a new-in-the-box NV273 ESOF transfercase. I'll use the NV271 that I was rebuilding for another project (or sell it). I've found all of the rest of the ESOF parts on Ebay and I'll just have to make up a custom harness...that is, after I pull it apart to install the 29 spline input shaft that mates with the Allison.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 AM   #189

I am continually amazed with your posts!

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #190

Waiting on a bunch of Allison internal parts but I'm not letting it slow me down! I am 99% sure this is where I want to mount the engine/trans. All of the measurements so far are looking good for clearances except I need to drop the trans mount down a little to get the correct angle and the power steering pump might need to be relocated. Neither are show stoppers...just opportunities to practice making stuff.

This position gives me a couple inches of doghouse clearance at the back of the head. Plenty of room to service the A/C compressor and there might even be room to change the oil filter (I have a relocation kit if needed).

Good times!!!