Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #191

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

Wow, amazing!

Is that a practice/mule van frame that you are using for prototyping?

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Wow, amazing!

Is that a practice/mule van frame that you are using for prototyping?
Yes, I got this a while back for just this kind of thing.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #193

Knockin' stuff off of the 'to-do' list... Power steering pump relocation requires a new bracket so I made up a part in Solidworks today, 3D printed it and mounted it up for a test fit. This location will work out just fine. (clearances look tight in the pics but there's tons of room)

The actual part will be made of steel but this plastic prototype is rigid enough to put the belt on and release the tensioner. 3D printers sure are handy for this sort of thing.

The belt length changed just a touch but I happened to find the catalog that lists belts by length and I've already found a suitable replacement. Fun stuff!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:45 AM   #194
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I've lost count of the number of times we've said "WOW!!" but let me add one more to that pile!

I'm very surprised the 3D printer material is strong enough to make a bracket strong enough to mount that pump and support the belt tension too. Simply amazing!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA

I'm very surprised the 3D printer material is strong enough to make a bracket strong enough to mount that pump and support the belt tension too. Simply amazing!

These days there are many materials (and technologies) for 3D printing. In the old days (starting way back in the 80's), it was pretty much UV cure goo and 3D systems stereo lithography (SLA) machines. Very fragile/brittle parts that look like they've been left in the sun too long.

These days there are clear, flexible, colored, etc materials and a handful of technologies for printing, like FDM, polyjet, and still the original SLA. We even have Maker-bots for home use! There are many new materials that are strong enough to be more than visual models.

One technology that has withered away is Laminated Object Manufacturing (LOM) where sheets of thin kraft paper are laid down, laser cut, coated with glue and laminated. These machines were great at making large semi-planar parts like automotive door panels.

There are a few companies using autologous human cells to 3D print replacement body parts like kidneys, livers, skin, etc. Using your own cells to print new organs means no rejection. It'll be a few years (or more!) before these technologies are ready for prime-time, if ever.

http://www.organovo.com/
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
I've lost count of the number of times we've said "WOW!!" but let me add one more to that pile!

This part was made on a Makerbot Replicator2. Not the most accurate machine on the market today but good enough for rough prototyping. A couple of the holes were threaded on this part and that worked out ok but if you torqued them down much more than finger tight it would strip out easily. The belt was not fully tensioned since it is a little long but there was enough tension there to take up the slack in the belt and the bracket held up. It would instantly blow apart if you tried to start the engine though...let's not fool ourselves into thinking it is fully functional.

I use CAD and 3D printers all the time at work for prototyping. Saves us a bunch of time and $$$ over machined parts.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:17 AM   #197
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
...let's not fool ourselves into thinking it is fully functional.

I use CAD and 3D printers all the time at work for prototyping. Saves us a bunch of time and $$$ over machined parts.
Oh, no I didn't think the part was fully functional as printed, that it was merely a prototype prepared to check fit etc for what would be the finished part. I was--and still am--a bit surprised the material was strong enough to even hold the pump in place temporarily.

Only on Star Trek could we instantly replicate something and it be 100% ready-to-go.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #198

As I've mentioned before, I picked up a couple CANbus Triple devices (https://www.canb.us/) for various parts of this project and so far they're working as planned. When they work... They are a little finicky to start up and get going but once they do start up and work, you can do quite a bit with them. Recently, the developer released a message filtering application which helps narrow down what is going on when you make specific actions (like button pushes or stepping on the brakes or gas pedal). One thing I need for integration of the Ford CAN with the Cummins and Allison is throttle position. I got the app running today and started cycling the gas pedal. What the software does is display messages by ID instead of sequentially. You can look through the list at what is changing and find things fast. So pushing down on the pedal, you could clearly see the data values changing as I pushed through the full sweep of the pedal. I can now isolate that one message identifier and view it all by itself with a click of button (sweet....). I'm going to spend some time with a '14 Ram/Cummins tomorrow logging data and deciphering message IDs. This software makes this process so much faster! Oh... and you can monitor 3 different buses simultaneously.

Here are a couple screen shots of the program. Still early in its development but this is a very attractive CAN bus hack tool for $79....

Old 05-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #199

Here it is... one NV273F transfer case ready to mate up to an Allison trans. The input shaft had to be swapped out for the 29 spline part out of the Dodge NV273D. Same bearing, same seal, just a longer snout and the correct spline for the Allison output shaft. Pretty easy to swap out actually.

I'm getting closer every day...

Changing gears now to go collect CAN data on a '14 Ram/Cummins. My days have been quite a mix of activities leading up to this engine swap. It's been interesting to say the least.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #200

Now you've really got my interest. I want an electric shift NP 273 Transfer Case in my van to eliminate any stress put on the BW 1356 manual linkage which I have now and which crapped out every 2 1/2 years. But back to working on other things... Thank you for the update. Its a very interesting write up, one statement in particular:

"One thing I need for integration of the Ford CAN with the Cummins and Allison is throttle position."

I had visions of your kickstarter first generation TripleCAN interpreter taking over your throttle control with disastrous results.

But you are using a Dodge PCM to run the engine right? And the TripleCAN is not bidirectional right? It is merely accepting and converting input from your Dodge Powertrain Control Module right?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote