Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #241

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

Okay, okay, okay. But this build thread of yours and the SEMA build and no doubt alot of other stuff in your portfolio constitutes a pretty friggin' impressive resume.

Just sayin...

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:06 AM   #242
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
I'm serious man....I'm way down on the bottom of the automotive industry food chain. I have a small shop behind my house, too little time to work in it and almost enough money to buy a tiny fraction of what I really want. If I had some connection to Cummins and could be in any way involved in their crate engine program, you can bet I'd post the big news. I don't have that kind of luck though. This project has been one big hurdle after the other and, aside from tidbits of info from a few much smarter than me diesel tuner dudes, I've had to make my own progress. There ain't no joint venture going on here.
Seems to me Hewlett-Packard and Apple both started out as dudes in garages near their houses too.......?!?!?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #243

Thank you guys! I appreciate your support.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
I'm serious man....I'm way down on the bottom of the automotive industry food chain. I have a small shop behind my house, too little time to work in it and almost enough money to buy a tiny fraction of what I really want. If I had some connection to Cummins and could be in any way involved in their crate engine program, you can bet I'd post the big news. I don't have that kind of luck though. This project has been one big hurdle after the other and, aside from tidbits of info from a few much smarter than me diesel tuner dudes, I've had to make my own progress. There ain't no joint venture going on here.
I can vouch, I've seen it all with my own eyes. MG is just a frickin' incredibly smart and talented peon!
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Okay, okay, okay. But this build thread of yours and the SEMA build and no doubt alot of other stuff in your portfolio constitutes a pretty friggin' impressive resume.

Just sayin...
Ain't no doubt there, hugely impressive. If only the neighborhood's in Oregon had money trees, then you'd be really blown out of the water.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #246

They would pass a law against harvesting those trees even if we had them here. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
They would pass a law against harvesting those trees even if we had them here. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Haha, too right!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #248

As I get closer to finalizing all of the integration of the electrical circuits in this Cummins swap, I'm often confronted with "well how am I going to pull that off?" scenarios. Case in point.... The 6-speed Allisons have a 'manual' mode where the driver can push-button select through the gears if they so desire. The problem with the van is that there aren't any buttons on the dash or the column that can be re-purposed for such a use. And, I've come this far with making things look factory, I'm not about to put two cheesy buttons on the dash for something like this. Hmmmm...

So I had this idea after sitting in a newer Super Duty truck, not so long ago. The trucks have a shift lever with a tow/haul button AND up/down buttons. I ask myself "How similar are the designs of the truck shifter and the van shifter?" Short answer...not even close. At the connection point, they don't even look like distant cousins and the shape is different. Damn you Ford!!

FEAR NOT my friends! I have a few tricks up my sleeve and from time to time, I've been known to make the seemingly impossible, possible.

Let's start with the comparison...

Truck shifter on top, van on bottom. Van lever = ick... Truck lever =

(insert montage - machining, welding, grinding, test fit, tweak, test fit, etc....)

To be honest, as dissimilar as they were, it only took me an hour to get this far...

Yes....I have two spare '09-up steering columns sitting on my bench. I've been having a bit of a hoarding problem lately...

DONE!!!! Now I have a factory-look shift lever with tow/haul and shift up/down buttons and you can barely tell it doesn't belong there.

Bring on the next challenge! (technical challenge I mean...the biggest challenge I always face is getting time in the shop. My wife is involved in that challenge so there's little hope of progress on that front)
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #249

Dude, you're just slaying this thing! I love your attention to detail and desire to integrate factory pieces in a way that makes it look like it should've been that way all along.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #250

If only I were your neighbor. I would be buying a LOT of beer.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote