Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #301

Quote:
In my opinion, that's way more cutting than is necessary for a 4x4 conversion
I'm sure it's done that way to maintain a common process and parts for both 2" and 4" lift builds.

That sure is one clean shiny frame

Are you going with a rear only tank? Or going to run dual tanks? Dual tanks ought to give you ~1500 miles between fill ups?

Any idea when you'll be able to start tackling on other vans?

Old 06-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I'm sure it's done that way to maintain a common process and parts for both 2" and 4" lift builds.

That sure is one clean shiny frame

Are you going with a rear only tank? Or going to run dual tanks? Dual tanks ought to give you ~1500 miles between fill ups?

Any idea when you'll be able to start tackling on other vans?
Only going with the rear tank. I have other plans for where the stock tank was.

Taking on other vans is directly related to progress on my van since I have so little space. There's some more SEMA project talk too so that might fill my calendar for a bit. Stop by some time so I can get a sense of your project scope. I'm getting close to needing a bigger shop where I can work on more than one project at a time.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #303

Man I love progress!!!!

The rear cross members are done and the tank mounting is complete!

Doesn't look like it hangs down too much. I'm still going to build a skid plate for it and maybe tie it into my bumper design.

The filler neck is the last of the challenges with this tank. I have two options, cut into the body a little and route the filler hose around some A/C lines or move the filler neck on the tank farther back and leave the body alone. If I had a way to cut the filler neck out of the tank without filling the inside full of slag and/or shavings, I'd definitely go that route. I'm leaning towards the body mods since it is so wide open right now on the lift. Where the filler neck is now is right under the rear A/C where the lines go up into the cabin.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #304

Garage
I know a guy that might have a shop with some space and a lift not to far from you...

With the rear tank where it is are you still able to attach a tow hitch?

Looks really good either way, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you do for the filler neck.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
I know a guy that might have a shop with some space and a lift not to far from you...

With the rear tank where it is are you still able to attach a tow hitch?

Looks really good either way, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you do for the filler neck.
Thanks! I'll start packing stuff down to your place then!

Yes, the factory hitch will go in with a tiny bit of trimming to the mounting flange. I might put mine back or I might incorporate a hitch into my bumper design. Not sure yet.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #306

Very very cool. Were you intending on using airbags in the rear? That's probably going to be an awful lot of weight behind the axle!
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWooginator View Post
Very very cool. Were you intending on using airbags in the rear? That's probably going to be an awful lot of weight behind the axle!
Here's my argument against that... Diesel is 7.25lbs per gallon. At 55 gallons, that is 398.75lbs. The tank is probably 100lbs by itself so lets say ~500lbs.

The van was originally a passenger van designed for 4 passengers at the very back by the doors and 3 passengers just in front of that, essentially over the rear axle. (Plus two more rows of 3 in front of the rear axle...)

If you're carrying friends like mine, 7 of us would be in the neighborhood of 1650lbs...

A big tank of diesel is nothing compared to softball team made up of rotund dudes.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #308

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Thanks! I'll start packing stuff down to your place then!
We could have an MG North and an MG South!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Here's my argument against that... Diesel is 7.25lbs per gallon. At 55 gallons, that is 398.75lbs. The tank is probably 100lbs by itself so lets say ~500lbs.

The van was originally a passenger van designed for 4 passengers at the very back by the doors and 3 passengers just in front of that, essentially over the rear axle. (Plus two more rows of 3 in front of the rear axle...)

If you're carrying friends like mine, 7 of us would be in the neighborhood of 1650lbs...

A big tank of diesel is nothing compared to softball team made up of rotund dudes.
And that in a nutshell is why in general Ford put full float axles on the passenger vans (the window weight adds up as well) and semi-floaters on the cargo vans.

This thread is just awesome on so many levels.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #310

Well, at the very least you'll be able to wheelie a bit easier! Especially with 8milliongoddamnedfootlbs of cummins torque!

Sound logic for sure. I'm going to have to be careful with mine (if I get it) because I'll be pulling a horse trailer from time to time and it's already not far from the axle limit. Semi-floaters.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote