Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #321

This thread is worse than a weekly TV series where they leave you hanging at the end of each show, making sure you tune in for the next installment. At least we don't normally have to wait a week between updates, but the suspense is killing me.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
This thread is worse than a weekly TV series where they leave you hanging at the end of each show, making sure you tune in for the next installment. At least we don't normally have to wait a week between updates, but the suspense is killing me.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #323

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
I have to ask...

All of that material was removed from the cross member by QuadVan to allow the axle maximum bump travel.

I know that you have moved the axle forward a little more than and inch, so that would slightly change the potential contact points. Are you planning on reshaping the cross member for axle clearance or just increasing the ride height and lowering the bump stops?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
I have to ask...

All of that material was removed from the cross member by QuadVan to allow the axle maximum bump travel.

I know that you have moved the axle forward a little more than and inch, so that would slightly change the potential contact points. Are you planning on reshaping the cross member for axle clearance or just increasing the ride height and lowering the bump stops?
Yes, there will be reshaping. The rear of the cross member doesn't need trimming with my axle position so I put it back to stock. The front will be reshaped from where it was with the Quadvan parts but it will be trimmed back significantly compared to stock. The axle tube will hit the front of the cross member (even trimmed back quite a ways) before anything contacts the rear. It's a tight fit but the axle stuffs up in there pretty good.

I had a thick spacer under my bump stops while I still had the Quadvan cross member parts in (with my new suspension). I'll be taking that spacer out and (hopefully) not have to use one and just go with the stock F-series bumps once things are back together. I wish I knew how much the bump stops compressed in real world use, then I could determine if I actually needed a spacer or not.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I wish I knew how much the bump stops compressed in real world use, then I could determine if I actually needed a spacer or not.
It is hard to know for sure as the g-forces that could be realized are unknown.

I remove the springs and set the full weight of the vehicle on the bump stops and set clearances from there - and assume the potential for contacting the final "hard stop" in the factory bump.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 06-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
The front will be reshaped from where it was with the Quadvan parts but it will be trimmed back significantly compared to stock. The axle tube will hit the front of the cross member (even trimmed back quite a ways) before anything contacts the rear.
The axle tube hitting the front lower lip of the cross member always seems to be the final limiting factor. If only the axle tube could fit up inside the cross member, between the front and rear lips.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 06-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
The axle tube hitting the front lower lip of the cross member always seems to be the final limiting factor. If only the axle tube could fit up inside the cross member, between the front and rear lips.
That would be great. Probably could design and build a new cross member and make things work awesome for straight axle conversions but there'd have to be a significant bump travel gain to go to that level of work. I couldn't go up much with my cross member with the Cummins because I'm already kinda tall in the engine tunnel. I wouldn't want to lose any clearance there. Definitely don't want to move the axle back to fit in between the cross member ribs either... Even with little tires you can have clearance issues.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Who am I to disappoint? Here's the latest installment...

Picked up the bellhousing adapter ring at the CNC shop today. Thing of beauty!

Old 06-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #329

Great surface finish. I wonder if they use dimond tooling or simply carbide?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #330

full float vs. semi-floaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
And that in a nutshell is why in general Ford put full float axles on the passenger vans (the window weight adds up as well) and semi-floaters on the cargo vans.
I'd like to know more about this - I don't know the difference. My van is a cargo. What are the pros/cons?