Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
I'd like to know more about this - I don't know the difference. My van is a cargo. What are the pros/cons?
Well, I don't want to hijack MG's thread but this thread in a nutshell sums up the con. There is no pro to a semi-float that I can think of except for price. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-fun-6746.html

An overview of the difference between the two. The full float is considerably stronger: Rear Axle Semi-Floating and Full-Floating - Off-Road Magazine

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #332

As part of prepping the engine to set down into the frame, today I worked on A/C and heater hose routing and fuel line routing on the engine. As if it were made to be, the van's original heater hoses can be used and they're all very close to the same routing on the Cummins as they were on the 5.4L. Awesome for a couple reasons... 1) nothing custom about the hoses, they're off the shelf parts and my originals are in perfect shape. and 2) There's finally something about this swap that I don't have to spend any money on! WOO HOO!!

The fuel line has been fabricated and relocates the connection to the rear of the block right next to the return line (much easier routing to the frame now). The hard lines will go quick along the frame because it's a pretty straight shot, just a couple jogs to make in each line.

A/C lines will be relatively easy. Just need take half the Ford hose and half the Ram hose and couple them together. Routing will be identical to the van.

One of the last things I'll do is the wiring. Why? Well because it is freakin' complicated and I want focus when I do it. If I have all of these other items completed and checked off the list before I get to the wiring, I'll have more brain space opened up during the hardest part of the swap. I have things pretty well figured out, tons of notes, pages of diagrams and a spreadsheet with circuit descriptions and connections but it's still dozens of wire connections to make. I'm looking forward to conquering the challenge.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:36 AM   #333
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Completely the wiring will be a challenge---good to have open brain space for that task!

Along with proper routing and/or design terminating individual wires plus proper routing of it all AND making it look professional will consume a good amount of time. Like so many other tasks once done its almost hidden from view--bummer.

So after this swap is completed we'll be looking to the Eco-Boost in another E-Series---that'll be our entertainment for a while.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
...So after this swap is completed we'll be looking to the Eco-Boost in another E-Series---that'll be our entertainment for a while.
Just need someone to commission the project....
Old 07-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #335

More work on the fuel tank conversion....

I decided that I want the fuel filler door at the back of the van but because of the rear A/C and an under body cross member, accomplishing this task isn't as easy as cutting a hole for the fuel door. With the body off, it's much easier to do stuff so I notched the under body cross member so the filler tube could snake around the A/C unit and have an all downhill fill path.

Started with a hole saw

Cut both sides

With a piece of tube welded into the fresh cut, I now have clearance for the fuel filler tube. The filler tube will come out from the side of the van, turn into the "tunnel" i just made then turn again into the tank filler neck. Should be an easy bend to make for an exhaust guy. I'll have a tube made next week.

Next up is the fuel door opening. Not a lot of access to the outside panel from the back for cutting in and mounting the fuel door until I cut the interior panel out. I'm thinking of 3D printing a dimple die set the shape of the fuel door recess and attempting to form the shape into my quarter panel rather than weld one in and repaint the area.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #336

After a few iterations, I finally have my power steering bracket dialed in. The 3D printer sure is handy for this kind of work. In a couple hours I have a part I can install and test for fit and function while burning through maybe $3 in materials. Also pretty stoked that I can retain the factory fan shroud mount arm and not have to build something from scratch. The way the mount bends around the pump, it's like it was supposed to be that way.

The belt path is good, clearances are tight but acceptable and I gained a little extra room for the intercooler hose routing. Part drawing made up and released to CNC vendor for machining quote...typical lazy Sunday around here.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #337

The great cross member rebuild of 2016 is finished.

The cut out up towards the steering box is where my new trac bar mount will meet up with the cross member.

Ready to start building engine mounts!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #338

Dearly beloved...we are gathered here today to marry these two spectacular pieces of machinery in holy HELL YEAH!!! Damn I've waited a long time for this day!

The Allison gettin' all gussied up with the torque converter in place...

Made up a quick cart today for the newlyweds. My shop is so small, I have to have a way to move things around without any help.

Oh yeah!!! They make a beautiful couple!

Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #339

Simply awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #340

I really shouldn't feel the way I do right now....
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote