Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 01:49 AM   #351

You may have told us earlier, but if so it's been too long and I forgot...how did you find a 6.7 with 12 original miles on it?

SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
You may have told us earlier, but if so it's been too long and I forgot...how did you find a 6.7 with 12 original miles on it?
A salvage yard got 4 new trucks that were damaged in transport between dealerships. They hadn't even been licensed yet. They ranged from 12 to 20 miles. I saw the auction on ebay and called the salvage yard to get the details since I couldn't believe a brand new engine was available already (this was in June of '13).

The trans actually came from the same salvage yard months later. They had it mis-labeled so it didn't come up in my regular searches on Ebay. I came across it by randomly selecting a link for "suggested search". It would have been long gone at that price if they hadn't messed up the ad. Lucky me :-)

T-case was also from ebay. Some guy bought the inventory from a failed dealership and had 15 NV273 transfer cases new in the box.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #353

Man, I've heard eBay horror stories. Nice to know magic still happens.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #354

I'm a big fan of the ESOF 273 over the 271, btw. I had a 271 in my first SMB and needed to shift into 4wd on a hill with ice. When I got out to turn the hubs, the van started sliding down the hill. Thankfully it went slowly and I was able to run back and save it. But not having to stop in a sticky situation is a better way to go IMO.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #355

What and exhaust-ing day... Haha!!

You like my duct tape "exhaust locating straps"? Doesn't hold the whole thing in place long but long enough to get a tack weld.

I have to add in the hangers and then finish weld the joints but its all routed and plenty of clearance. I think I can fit all of the factory exhaust shrouds in the frame too. Exhaust is 4" stainless with v-band clamps at the joints. A big Magnaflow muffler and a large-ish resonator in the system.

The fuel system is plumbed...all the hoses and fittings are assembled and ready to rock. I need to pull the tank to clean it up for paint and at the same time I'll take the cross members to the powdercoater. Getting really close to the "final assembly" stage.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #356

Yes, get 'er done!
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #357

Are you using MOOG CC880S front springs? How hard would a 5.9 common rail cummins be to stuff into one of these vans? Your work in by far some of the cleanest on this forum!
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #358

I'd recommend those 880S springs. An easy improvement over the ones that came on my Quigley.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7train View Post
Are you using MOOG CC880S front springs? How hard would a 5.9 common rail cummins be to stuff into one of these vans? Your work in by far some of the cleanest on this forum!
Thank you! That's quite a compliment in this crowd!

Yes, I have the MOOG cc880s springs in right now. They were a tad stiff with the 5.4L. I'm hoping they are just right with the added weight of the Cummins/Allison.

The 5.9L common rail engine is essentially the same footprint as this 6.7L. There are differences in the turbo, engine mounts and some of the accessories but for the most part, the fit would be very close to the same. I think the engine fits nicely in the van with lots of room to work along the sides, from the bottom and from the dog house. The front is a bit tight though. There's room to fit it in there but not much extra.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknudtsen View Post
Feed the Animals, MG.
Exhaust hangers.... Magnaflow sells the rods with the mushroom ends on them so you can bend your own hangers and use the factory isolator bushings. Yesterday, I got all of mine made up but didn't get a chance to weld them yet.

I may put an additional one in closer to the end of the tailpipe but I'll wait and see how it is when these are welded first.

I've also been putting some suspension parts together... They're pretty good at self-aligning so it doesn't take much to get them ready to weld. I cut up my spare frame yesterday so I could make a much neater welding setup. A 2 foot section of frame is easier to put on a welding table than moving this frame around all the time. It had served its purpose well.