Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #431

mind boggling...

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #432

Garage
Nice! I was watching an episode of Diesel Bros earlier and thought about how bad ass your van is going to be.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #433

Flux got right, this is truly boggling my mind. There are in fact TV shows that don't take on projects like this, and you're doing it at home like it's no big deal. It's so impressive.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #434

Truly impressive! So want to see this in person when you get it complete. Got any magazine spots lined up yet? It deserves that kind of attention.

Congrats
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #435

Congrats on getting it running!!
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #436

Thanks all for the kind words. cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
Truly impressive! So want to see this in person when you get it complete. Got any magazine spots lined up yet? It deserves that kind of attention.

Congrats
Magazines? I'd love to have a feature in a big magazine. It's all who you know though...and I don't know them.

When I'm done, I do plan on a professional photoshoot and I'll start pinging various publications to try to get a spot.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #437

Start with Cummins annual report. The board will have to quit after they see what you've pulled off. "And they said it couldn't be done."

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 11-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #438

Out of many, there is one....

Yeah, it's taken 4 different Chrysler/Cummins fan shrouds to come up with something that works in the tight confines of the van's engine compartment. There's a certain amount of despair that comes over you when you first pull a brand new part out of the box, cut it to pieces in an attempt to get it to work and then realize that it just won't fit right. It's even worse doing it to the 4th part you've ordered in as many weeks. But hey, they're only $65-$85 shrouds that are now only good for lining the bottom of a garbage can...

With pieces of the first and 4th part, I was able to make up a shroud that fits the radiator (once I cut off and relocate the mounting bosses) AND lines up and seals against the big rubber fan shroud on the engine side. Of course this required cutting down the side tank and all of the mounts that came with this perfectly good (and expensive) Mishimoto radiator. Warranties?! Who needs warranties?

So now I can FINALLY move forward. It might surprise you how many things on the to-do list are dependent on the positioning of the radiator.

With all that radiator stuff sorted out, I started playing around with the intercooler. Don't have much choice of where to put this thing...it's kinda big and it dictates its own positioning.

The passenger side intercooler piping is child's play. The driver side, not so much. The poor radiator needs more cutting so I can slip a 3.5" diameter tube past it. I'm going to replace the lower body brace with a laser cut and welded assembly that doubles as the radiator and intercooler mount. I got it all measured out today, hope to have a CAD model done and drawings sent off before end of day tomorrow.

Even with as big as that intercooler is, the grill support only needs a tiny bit of trimming to fit around it. The next big challenge is the top core support brace and the location of the hood latch. Yep, the intercooler interferes with it at the moment. It looks as though I can move the latch back about an inch and make it work out nicely.

Not many "challenges" left before the front end is fully assembled...
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #439
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
... this perfectly good (and expensive) Mishimoto radiator...
Have a Mishimoto in my 7.3 Excursion. Nice piece of engineering and construction, but expensive.

Herb
Old 11-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #440

Conventional hood latches are for assembly line vehicles These: