Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #51

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
You betcha, I have been looking to expand my carputer into reading additional PID's, so I find this all pretty interesting. In fact your not that far a way from me so, it would be great to check out your shop sometime.

Greg
Now there's someone speaking the same language! Have you identified many PIDs yet? I've only been sniffing the HS bus so I'm more focused on that but if you have any MS bus PIDs I'd love to share notes.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #52

Actually I don't think my 2004 is Can bus, but anyhow I have not really spent a lot of effort on it. I have software the reads all the stuff. But I really want to write plugin for my carputer frontend to read some of the enhanced PID's that are available. It just has not above the ZBB line for projects that I want to start. I currently use a Phidget SOC to monitor various things in the van, it spews the data out over WIFI so I can monitor battery voltages, refrigerator temps, charger currents. etc while sitting on the PC in the house. I have been thinking of looking at Arduino because new board they are selling Galileo http://arduino.cc/en/ArduinoCertified/IntelGalileo.

But back to can pids, have you looked at this forum on the web http://www.mp3car.com/engine-managem...agnostics-etc/

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #53

Quote:
...not above the ZBB line for projects that I want to start....
You must work for Intel...I'd recognize that corporate jargon anywhere! (I have 10 years at Intel btw... currently in HF1). Are you the 2WD SMB I see in the HF parking lot?

I've been all over the internet for CAN bus stuff. mp3car is a good resource. But like most things, it's just enough to get you started but not enough to get exactly what you need. Just need to dive in and go for it to really get a complete understanding.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Actually I don't think my 2004 is Can bus

greg
2005 was the first year for CAN in the gassers (all 6.0s are CAN).
Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
Quote:
...not above the ZBB line for projects that I want to start....
You must work for Intel...I'd recognize that corporate jargon anywhere! (I have 10 years at Intel btw... currently in HF1). Are you the 2WD SMB I see in the HF parking lot?

I've been all over the internet for CAN bus stuff. mp3car is a good resource. But like most things, it's just enough to get you started but not enough to get exactly what you need. Just need to dive in and go for it to really get a complete understanding.
Yes & Yes. we must have passed each other in halls. Yes, it appears that a lot of the advance PID information is somewhat guarded, so you really have to reverse engineer it. There are of course the standard ones, but that is limited.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #56

MAJOR progress on the ECM calibration/security front...
Old 01-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #57

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...I've been all over the internet for CAN bus stuff. mp3car is a good resource. But like most things, it's just enough to get you started but not enough to get exactly what you need. Just need to dive in and go for it to really get a complete understanding.
... Yes, it appears that a lot of the advance PID information is somewhat guarded, so you really have to reverse engineer it. There are of course the standard ones, but that is limited.

-greg
For me, this was an enlightening statement from Tugly on the 7.3L forum at ford-trucks.com, related to the above quote:

Ah... I finally found the hitch in the "tool" side of scan tools - the top-secret test commands. Torque is set up to poll PIDs, but it is not set up to send an action command and wait for a message that says something like "Cylinder #8 fail cylinder contribution test." We have gauges in Torque, and some graphs. The service commands (like Buzz test) are top secret and proprietary... not universal. The OBDII standard was for the sake of reading sensors across platforms, and manufacturers hijacked the data network to throw some tests and programming (i.e. tire size) in there. The commands and how to handle them are top-secret, and only companies like AE or Dash Daq have ponied up the serious cash to get the information and the rights to use the commands. They won't be sharing, so any test commands in the wild be dubious at best.

That, my friends, is why we won't be seeing a full-feature scan tool for six bucks... and why Infinity or AE is a bit of a hit on the wallet.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12894 ... con-6.html
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350

For me, this was an enlightening statement from Tugly on the 7.3L forum at ford-trucks.com, related to the above quote:

Ah... I finally found the hitch in the "tool" side of scan tools - the top-secret test commands. Torque is set up to poll PIDs, but it is not set up to send an action command and wait for a message that says something like "Cylinder #8 fail cylinder contribution test." We have gauges in Torque, and some graphs. The service commands (like Buzz test) are top secret and proprietary... not universal. The OBDII standard was for the sake of reading sensors across platforms, and manufacturers hijacked the data network to throw some tests and programming (i.e. tire size) in there. The commands and how to handle them are top-secret, and only companies like AE or Dash Daq have ponied up the serious cash to get the information and the rights to use the commands. They won't be sharing, so any test commands in the wild be dubious at best.

That, my friends, is why we won't be seeing a full-feature scan tool for six bucks... and why Infinity or AE is a bit of a hit on the wallet.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12894 ... con-6.html

There are ways to get more information than you could possibly ever want out of your vehicle and it doesn't take much money at all to get it. It does however take a certain skill set and A LOT of free time...
Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #59

Quote:
There are ways to get more information than you could possibly ever want out of your vehicle and it doesn't take much money at all to get it. It does however take a certain skill set and A LOT of free time...
When you get a chance, some of us are thinking about buying scanning/analysis software/hardware. So, possibly in another thread and only when and if you have time or the inclination, posting your thoughts on what is most thorough for analyzing, logging and even testing would be appreciated.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350

When you get a chance, some of us are thinking about buying scanning/analysis software/hardware. So, possibly in another thread and only when and if you have time or the inclination, posting your thoughts on what is most thorough for analyzing, logging and even testing would be appreciated.
For you specifically, what is it that you want to accomplish? Diagnostics? Module programming? Manipulation of vehicle systems via the CAN bus? I'm happy to do a write up but I'd like to make sure I capture what you're interested in.

A lot of stuff can be done with free/cheap software and components. However, the deeper you want to dig, the more complicated and more expensive things get. How nerdy do you want to be?