Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #571

If you're only talking the pre-DEF 6.7L, probably less than a couple grand to bring it back to stock emissions using low miles salvage yard parts and Ebay deals. 4th gen Cummins with the DPF, SCR and DEF could easily be 2-3X that unless you scored on several parts that are difficult to find used. It also depends on how far "deleted" the engine is. If they removed the intake and air heater, plus all of the EGR stuff, you may have intercooler tube routing to rework.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #572

The Cummins van has been getting a lot of love lately. New L-track floor inside, Scheel-Mann seats in the rear, the A/C system has been charged and the air blows cold now (Note...since I'd taken out the PWM cooling fan, running the A/C controls through the Cummins ECM was not going to work very well...plus I would have had to set up a CAN bus controller to handle the switching. The easier solution was to simplify the whole thing and go with the Hi/Lo pressure switches that originally came in the van and use a combination of relays to handle the compressor on/off. It's much simpler now in terms of circuitry and troubleshooting is greatly simplified). I also just got some new gauges (to match the custom gauges in the dash) to monitor trans temp, EGTs and boost. In the next few weeks I'll have the body shop touch up paint for the rear fuel door and then it's off to the dyno shop for a tuning session.

Earlier this week I received a rear bumper that I took a gamble on. It's a lot of work to get into the bumper makin' biz and I already liked the aesthetics of this company's offerings so rather than reinvent the wheel (for a relatively small market of vans), if I could make an existing product work for me (like I did for the ARB bumper up front), why not give it a shot, right? This bumper isn't made for the Eseries van, it's actually made for a truck (not a Ford) but it looked like it was close to the right shape in the pictures online. I went a step further and acquired the CAD model of the rear of the truck and made an overlay in Solidworks on top of the van body model. Turns out, in terms of width and body shape, it looked like it would be close enough that I could make it work. I was really hoping that I could just make a set of adapters and not have to cut into the bumper itself. And what do ya know, that's all I had to do...

It mounted up pretty easily all things considered. I plan to have a spare tire on the left side swing arm and a storage box on the right side. I'm waiting for a few parts from the laser cutter to finish off all of my accessory mounts but once I get those, it's off to the sandblaster then powdercoating.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #573

It’s alive! Glad to see some action on this thread. Still need to get up there and listen to that thing rumble....
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #574

More badassedness, love it that rear bumper action!
By far, THE ABSOLUTE FINEST and CRAZY BITCHIN'EST E-Series evar built.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #575

mgmetalworks I like the looks of that, what company’s rear bumper is that anyhow.... Are you saying they don’t make one for E-series?
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
mgmetalworks I like the looks of that, what company’s rear bumper is that anyhow.... Are you saying they don’t make one for E-series?
The bumper is made by Expedition One. https://www.exp-one.com/

At the time I ordered the bumper, they didn't have any options for Fords. I see now that they have a bumper for the Super Duty truck but not one specifically for the Eseries van. Who knows...if enough people contact them, it wouldn't take much for them to offer a van-specific model. The response to our posts on social media so far would indicate that there are folks out there who want another option in the van bumper space.

Bumper manufacturing isn't easy. Lots of setup, lots of welding, lots of finishing...and that's not including all of the considerations for mounting, strength, swing out latching, etc..., etc... Too costly to get involved in for the Eseries market in my opinion. I've looked at as many rear swing out bumpers as I could find and, for my tastes and for my expectations for engineering and construction, this is the only option I was willing to take a chance on.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #577

That's pretty hot. Nicely done.

Edit: A/C is next on the list for my van after I tidy up the power steering leaks.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
That's pretty hot. Nicely done.

Edit: A/C is next on the list for my van after I tidy up the power steering leaks.
Thanks!

Power steering leaks...tell me about it! Adding the hydroboost, a power steering fluid cooler and a big reservoir required many fittings and I've had a couple seepin' fittings from the start. Totally annoying! If I had it to do over again, I might have gone a different route with the power steering lines.

I bought my own A/C tools and it was super easy to check for leaks and get the system charged.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I bought my own A/C tools and it was super easy to check for leaks and get the system charged.
How did you leak check? Evacuate, pressurize with dry nitrogen, and add flourscent die?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #580

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
How did you leak check? Evacuate, pressurize with dry nitrogen, and add flourscent die?
The first test is pull a vacuum on the system close it off and let it sit. Check back hours later (or a day later or however long you want). If there's no loss of vacuum, you're set. If there's a slow leak, at that point you can try the pressurize the system and dye method. I don't think nitrogen is necessary as long as you pull a vacuum on the system after the leaks are fixed and suck out any moisture.

The A/C system in the Eseries is pretty basic. It looks like a mess in the engine compartment but it is really quite simple. All of the joints are accessible and the only difficult line to replace would be the high pressure line for vans with rear A/C. Even then it's not as bad as some other cars I've worked on.