Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #51

Re: 6.8L V10 exhaust and intake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrivan
I am still looking for the quietest exhaust possible.....the cab noise if pretty bad even with dynamat on the floor and inside of doghouse. Any suggestions? I wish I had the OEM muffler back on this van since I don't recall there being any noise issues back then. Apparently the OEM replacement from Ford is not available. I'm running V-10, gas. Maybe the "turned tip" would help, but I don't know what that is either.....thanks in advance for any suggestions on a good, quiet muffler!
What is your setup right now? Does your exhaust end immediately after the muffler or does it continue after the muffler and turn out after the rear tire?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #52

Thanks----I'm pretty sure it is the same setup as the original. I had Magnaflow (way too loud) with bigger diameter pipe. New one is improvement, back to original diameter I believe and it definitely comes out of the back near the right rear tire.

Maybe all I need to do is to get a good guy in town to make an extension? or turn it? I'm not really a 'car guy'---I can do the inside of the van no problem. The engine, tranny, etc not so much.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #53

Post a pic of your tail pipe so we can see where it ends. If it ends abruptly after the muffler and turns straight down, it could be louder because of the exhaust notes echoing under the van. If the exhaust continues after the muffler and exits out either after the rear wheel or under the bumper or something, I'm not sure it could be any quieter unless you either switch out to a larger muffler or add a resonator or something.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:08 PM   #54

Garage
Because exhaust has been my main focus lately...

Anyone currently running a header back exhaust system? If so what and how do you like it?

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #55

Bumping this back from the dead. Banks claims +56 hp/+70 lb-ft for their RV power pack. Sounds like JBA makes shorty headers that *should* fit with a 4x4 conversion. Seems reasonable that a 5 star tune, AFE intake, and JBA headers should get close to that? I'm finding it difficult to determine how much extra you can actually get out of one of the 20V versions of these engines.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #56

I always felt like the numbers Banks claimed for the P.I. head V10 (2000+) were understated. I do a lot of trips with either my dad (5.4L van, stock) when I'm almost 2.5x his gross weight, and I can walk away form him on the hills. Same with my brother's stock v10 at when I'm about 50% heavier.

I suspect the JBA headers would perform similarly, although likely would provide the biggest gains at a higher RPM, but they have relatively thin flanges. I'm not sure I'd trust them not to warp on a rig that's towing a lot.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #57

Sure, but they appear to be the only shorty header game in town. It doesn't look like the Banks torque tubes would work with a 4x4 setup, not to me at least.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote