Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 12:22 PM   #1

6L psd Oil cooler leak help

Hi, hoping one of the 6L experts can chime in with some guidance.

Making a 6 hour return trip yesterday in hotter than normal conditions I discovered oil in the coolant reservoir when we stopped at home. We stopped for fuel a few times didn’t notice anything so is suspect we were relatively close to home when the oil cooler failed.

I was watching the coolant and oil temps and they weren’t crazy given the heat. Engine did not overheat. Ran strong with good power, light load cruising at highway speed.

I’m hoping oil cooler failure because obviously the other possibility (head gaskets) is much much worse. So far Drained oil and coolant. No coolant in oil. Oil floating on top of coolant reservoir but otherwise cleaner than expected. Upper and lower rad hoses are oil filmed.

I actually had a spare oil cooler on hand, ordered new hoses. Planning to flush.

My question is in a van what is the best way to remove the cooler from the back or the front. I’ve had the turbo out a few years back but I see on the trucks they leave the turbo in place. This seems unlikely to me in the van removing intake and so on but I thought I would ask.

Thank you

waren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f33/6-0l-oil-and-egr-cooler-replacement-in-the-shade-of-a-tree-10874-4.html

Awesome thread here that answers most of the questions I had.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #3

Finally got the oil cooler out and was able to test and confirm failed.

Applied air pressure to the oil side and observed bubbles on the coolant side.

Flushing with cascade and Restore, then reassembling.

Tags
oil cooler, psd