Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #41

Re: 7.3 and Hills

Billet grills definitely increase trans temps. I run one in the winter for that exact reason! Seems to be about a 30F increase in trans temps. If I don't install the insert, then my trans temps will never touch 140F unless I'm towing heavy, and that just isn't enough to cook off the moisture.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #42

I've driven all around the Appalachian Mountains and over the Rockies many times in my essentially stock 7.3 vans. The only modification was a muffler delete, I set the cruise control and driven up and down mountains without any issues or losing speed. Once in a while had a fairly moderate weight load in the van. From time to tume the van would drop down a gear and go up the hill. It just sounded so damn pretty tearing up these hills it was like music to my ears.

On the really long I'll hills I would watch the transmission temperature climb but soon as I reached the top, the transmission temperature would fall again.

For reference I had 265 75 16 tires and 3.55 gears.

I don't think any near stock 7.3 van should have any problem going up and down hills as long as in good condition.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #43

Has anyone put a newer front end on a 7.3 and added an intercooler? Should help with the EGT's a lot and more power.
SpeedAddict502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:47 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAddict502
Has anyone put a newer front end on a 7.3 and added an intercooler? Should help with the EGT's a lot and more power.
It has been done

You can also add a water to air set up with the older front end
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #45

I've got the 4" exhaust, 4:10 and DP Tuner on mine and it still struggles uphill. I can't use either of my tunes because the EGT's will climb to over 1200 as soon as I get on the gas. I also feel bad leaving miles of black smoke anyway, I just save that for tailgaters. I have a 60hp mountain and 80hp daily economy. I have to use my stock tune and even then I have to let off and downshift to maintain 35-45mph and under 1200 degrees. My tranny temp will peak at 206 at the top of Monarch Pass which after 7 miles of climbing is to be expected I guess. It probably doesn't help that my rig is almost 11,000lbs
Old 09-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #46

Have you thought about or considered adding an intercooler? What transmission fluid do you use at that temperature?
SpeedAddict502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #47

Peppy, you shouldn't be seen those type of temperatures. I would suggest undoing the DP tuner and trying it bone stock. I bet you won't have any issues, maybe a little bit slower, maybe a mpg less... but most likely cooler temps.

I was probably the only unhappy customer at DP, and once I went back to stock and sold it, my van ran so much better.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #48
Site Team

Garage

I hate to say this but after having issues during the first part of the trip I pulled the dp tune and I went up in mileage and averaged almost 17! For the rest of the trip in stock tune. The throttle was slower but the climbs never hit 1200 and I just drove it like a rental

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #49
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Im going to call up DP, talk to I think Justin? I have similar results, I think I may try to get them to tweak my tunes, especially the mountain and tow tunes to hold the gear longer before shifting and maybe even an earlier down shift to hold speed heading up the passes, sometimes it just belches black smoke and doesn't want to downshift driving up 70. We'll see, I hope they can do something cause I really like the added power, but not at the expense of damaging things with higher temps.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #50

Garage

Did a similar drive to the one that started this tread this weekend. It is amazing how the cooler temps impact things. Was able to do most hills at 50+. I did down shift into 2nd a few times. On the way up I averaged 19 mpg and on the way back 15 mpg. I just need to move to a cooler climate!

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote