Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #11

I’m in Sandy, OR. I’d been playing with the idea for a bit and honestly even though it was difficult it turned out to be a bit easier then I expected.

Ordered the Hydra chip ($25 dollar rebate if ordered before the first of the year just in case anyone else has been thinking about it) that should answer the question of is it worth it or not.

BW3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #12

I already have the 08 clip, 6.0 van intercooler and F spider.
Still gathering parts for hydroboost at the same time.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
I already have the 08 clip, 6.0 van intercooler and F spider.
Still gathering parts for hydroboost at the same time.
I think that the van intercooler should work you'll just need to tuck it hard to the driver side instead of centering it on the radiator, shouldn't have to move the ABS lines that way and the hot side tube into the spyder will be much flatter. Mounting will be a little more challenging though before I shifted gears and went to the pick intercooler my plan was to either cut off the factory mounting points and weld new ones where I needed them to be or build a frame for it.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW3340 View Post
I started with the E series intercooler but the driver side tube off the cooler shoots in at about a 30 degree angle. On mock up I didn't think that I would have room to clear the radiator. in hindsight I think I could have made it work but the mounting was easier with the pickup i/c and it has better aftermarket support.

The e series intercooler on a 6.0 is also quite a bit smaller than the F series?

Nice project!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
The e series intercooler on a 6.0 is also quite a bit smaller than the F series?

Nice project!
It is smaller yes so in my opinion the F series intercooler is probably the way to go.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #16

That figures just when you think you're making progress lol. Did you happen to look at the F series 7.3 intercoolers to see if that would work. I happen to have a parts truck with with one.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #17

I didn’t but only because I had read the 6.0 ones had marginally superior cooling and the price was about the same. As long as the width is there and your tubes aren’t two low (I think it was 13.5” from upper mounting bolt to hole center for me) you should be able to make it work. A little higher would have made things easier if you could get an intercooler with a 10 inch drop you would be money.

Word of warning to anyone thinking about doing this the PCM on a van comes out from under the hood, not from in the cab so make sure you get your chip installed first lol.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:19 AM   #18

Nice job! That came out real clean, factory looking. Good choice in moving the battery out of the engine compartment, I spent way too much effort routing my piping around my battery.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #19

Initial testing has been very good with the Hydra chip, I'm pretty blown away by the increase in drivability, 65 DD really woke the van up especially when it came to accelerating on a grade. Sustained about 1100 degrees EGT while pulling a decent hill this morning at 90mph and she had more to give, I just ran out of lane.

sadly I'm struggling with tunes over 65DD because all of this has brought to light some weakness in my HPOP system, I think I'll address that with a T500 early 2022.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #20
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
The intelligence,inginuity, vision, outright skills on this Forum with you members are absolutely impressive! Awesome job, clean, skilled...WTG
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote