Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #21

Don't want to be a Debbie downer. But shouldn't the the chip chat (WHICH i'M ALL OVER) be directed to the thread on that topic and keep this one to the intercooler add?

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #22

Garage
Many threads 'evolve', or 'stray' while still benefiting the OP and others interested and/or involved. Don't believe any of the posters on this thread would object to the content since it's still in some way relative to their project(s).
Nothing on this Thread pertains to me personally, but it certainly is a good read - where many times i may not understand the motivation to undergo such a complex task, I'm often in awe of the courage and resolve the participants accept pursuing their vision.
Think CTB's post said it all very well .
Old 12-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Don't want to be a Debbie downer. But shouldn't the the chip chat (WHICH i'M ALL OVER) be directed to the thread on that topic and keep this one to the intercooler add?
The reason I took on this project from the beginning was to be able to increase the HP and torque of the van while keeping my EGT's at or below 1250 sustained, from the factory ford had their van's tuned to do this already (at least in the mountains where I drive). I think tuning is relevant to this topic in the sense that people should know what their gains may be if they're thinking about putting in the effort because it's a pretty involved upgrade.
BW3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #24

I would agree with you if the tunes were specifically made for a intercooled 7.3 van. Then it would be very relevant. But the tunes being talked about are for a stock van. When I read this posting I want to hear all about the process of how you intercooled it and others input on that same mod. I have a tune on my stock 7.3. and that is the reason I have an interest in adding an intercooler. I'm only saying that it may have been better to keep both posts (intercooler & PHP tuners) separate and undiluted. A reference to the PHP tunes post would have given you even more info about them then the postings made in the intercooler post. Just my 2cents
Denver, CO
Old 12-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #25

Just my 2cents but it's an interplay between the intercooler, turbo, and tuning. Your not going to make top end power for long without an intercooler, especially a small one. It's all about cooler air holding more oxygen, more mass, and increasing engine efficiency especially if running a bigger turbo. Cooler air, more fuel, and in the end lower EGTs. The tuning helps with turbo lag and pushing more air and is critical when making modifications to the oem setup.

My understanding anyway, but with regard to tuning on my 6.0 psd I tried tunes from 4 different tuners and by far PHP worked the best. Bill at PHP is considered the Godfather of Powerstroke tuning in the diesel world starting with Superchips in 1997. Nearly every 7.3L tune on the market (regardless of vendor) is based on tunes he created while at Superchips. Then he went to work for Edge in 2004 on 6.0 tuning before starting Power Hungry Performance. They are actually engineers and not just tuners and creating some great products for our powerstrokes. All of these mods are synergistic and proper pcm tuning is critical.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:46 PM   #26

Why doesn't anyone look at a water cooled IC system?
Denver, CO
Old 01-09-2022, 08:59 PM   #27

Quote:
I brain stormed this for a while as an option but it never really solved any problems for me. The main issue is the packaging for the intercooler tubes at the Spyder, setting the intercooler is easy it’s just running the tubes in the tunnel under the cab where things get tight that gets challenging. Would there be some heat shedding benefits? Maybe with the right setup but I don’t think it’s worth the extra headache.
BW3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #28

Quote:
I was at a trail head with a friend of a friend yesterday and got to poke around the factory 6.7 intercooler setup on his new '22 super duty. I'm really leaning that way for replacing the stock 6.0 E350 intercooler setup they put in my van when they did the engine conversion - could free up enough room to run a larger rad w/o doing the '08 nose swap.

Also, not sure if you're aware but siliconeintakes.com is based in the Springs and stocks a bunch of air to water intercooler options.

https://www.siliconeintakes.com/fron...qtmu220te5omu3

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #29

I have a 2016 F350 6.7 and been have looking at that system. It seems it could make routing the intake system easier. But why hasn't anybody done this previously?
Denver, CO
Old 01-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #30

I suspect 3 things:

1. the 6.7 system is fairly new, so finding used parts maybe wasn't overly common
2. it's a more complex system with more to fail (especially the pump), which usually isn't looked favorably upon with some folks
3. the 7.3s used air to air from the factory in their other applications (truck, excursion) so those parts were easy to find

Also, I noticed that the F350 system used a reservoir as well - so they're clearly planning on that thing getting fairly warm.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote