Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #21

Re: 7.3 or 6.0 for build platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
One of our former members Bbasso, who may still be a member but sold his van, drove a 7.3 to about 600k miles before engine failure. Those engines are tractor-trailer tough, you just get to a point around 500k or so where the chassis start to break down. We always used E250s at work with the old straight 6 300s in them, and they too would run forever but the chassis would start to fall apart. I can personally attest to this as my old work buggy took me to 478k before they replaced it, and someone else drove it for awhile after that.

It went to almost 700K and then I bought it. The engine never failed, the IDM was full of water!! We replaced the 7.3 anyway and now it's roaming around trying to rack up another 700K
IDM, whats that?

robtbritn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #22

Is it possible to replace a 6.0 with a 7.3?? Has anyone heard of this being done??
Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDieselVans
Is it possible to replace a 6.0 with a 7.3?? Has anyone heard of this being done??
To many wiring differences to make it feasible IMO. Also, to register in an emissions testing area, the donor motor would have to meet spec for the year vehicle it goes into (which the 7.3L will not do, and is the main reason it was replaced).

A Cummins 5.9 conversion would be much less work, since the Cummins ECU is standalone. And, there's a healthy aftermarket for Cummins conversions.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
To many wiring differences to make it feasible IMO. Also, to register in an emissions testing area, the donor motor would have to meet spec for the year vehicle it goes into (which the 7.3L will now, and is the main reason it was replaced).

A Cummins 5.9 conversion would be much less work, since the Cummins ECU is standalone. And, there's a healthy aftermarket for Cummins conversions.
I know its been asked before but has anyone done a Cummings swap in a van? I know they do it in trucks all the time.

Pardon the slight hijacking here but:

Does anyone know if the 6.4 or 6.7 diesels are good in trucks? 6.4s didn't last long before they changed yet again to the 6.7. I know they are too big size wise to fit into vans (that's why the vans only had the 6.0s until the production ran out) but I someday would like to get a truck to replace my old 7.3 six speed truck that was totaled, I guess I could get a V-10 truck as I like it in my van. In hind site I should have bought it back fixed it and kept it going but its long gone now.I still really like the looks of 2005-2007 Ford trucks the best. I had a Dodge truck for a few years and it was good but I still like the Fords overall styling and cab size. Now if I could just find a loaded up 05-07 with a bad 6.0 motor cheap and do a Cummings swap.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage

The 6.4 did worse than my 6.0. Lost injectors until I started using additive and since the failures all has been ok. The engine stops every 15 min (thanks california air quality board) and has to be restarted or I have to engage the PTO and sit there with high idle but I must admit, with the long idle times I've put it through, this engine has not had any other problems @ 43,000. The motor is quiet and has good hole shot off the line. Emissions seems to be why it was replaced.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #26

I was at the Ford dealer yesterday to get the oil changed on my E350. While I was there I saw a Ford brochure on their 7.3 remanufactured units so I inquired. About $6800 not counting the labor cost to R/R the motor.

Like Ultrasport I like the old styles better. I wish I hadn't sold my F350 4x4 with 460 big block. It was simple, crude and just ran and ran and ran.

Ray
06 E350 RB
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtbritn
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
One of our former members Bbasso, who may still be a member but sold his van, drove a 7.3 to about 600k miles before engine failure. Those engines are tractor-trailer tough, you just get to a point around 500k or so where the chassis start to break down. We always used E250s at work with the old straight 6 300s in them, and they too would run forever but the chassis would start to fall apart. I can personally attest to this as my old work buggy took me to 478k before they replaced it, and someone else drove it for awhile after that.

It went to almost 700K and then I bought it. The engine never failed, the IDM was full of water!! We replaced the 7.3 anyway and now it's roaming around trying to rack up another 700K
IDM, whats that?
Injector drive module. I double checked the cluster today, it was 785K!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Slightly off topic but I guess anything is possible...even has a custom bumper that SMBers would die for.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Slightly off topic but I guess anything is possible...even has a custom bumper that SMBers would die for.
Now hold on, did he have the SMB "Basement" in the front of that thing? And could he use some SMB "Transformer" interior parts in that thing?
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #30

I have heard the van 6.0's are better than the truck ones as they are de-tuned. and if you want to add 4x4. then Ujoint does a good job from what I hear.
he is out of NC and on Expedition portal forums.

good luck
MTDewX8 is offline   Reply With Quote