Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Don't worry, all your info has been greatly appreciated and I have learned a lot about the 7.3 in the last week.

Scangauge installed and ICP looks to be within the ranges posted.

Dropped the van off to get the tank upgrade. When the tank gets dropped, the usual tank mods will happen.

Then I have a permanent pressure gauge getting installed and will also have a diesel mechanic look it over. Fingers crossed its that simple.

It's just so funny, I can convince myself that it is driving fine on the flats, but up hills i can floor it and I don't get the power im used to.

Lastly, you are totally right about about throwing money somewhat blindly at the problem. Luckily I cooled my jets and patience set in. Luckily I wanted to upgrade the tank anyways and the mods to the fuel pickup sound like they should be done regardless. Scangauge had been on my to buy list. Fuel pressure gauge....ya, maybe didn't HAVE to have it, but should be a good tool in the long run.

Any recommendations on having the fuel pressure sensor before or after the filter? I got the adapters to mount it straight to the filter, which seems like a clean way to do it. I am leaning towards before filter and just keeping up on the filter maintenance. That way I am basically monitoring the fuel pump and the filter that I plan on putting inbetween the tank and pump. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Bemerrit, That's great! Tank and mods will keep you going for a long time. X2, on FP gauge after the bowl. A permanent mounted FP gauge is a very smart addition to any diesel. Since adding my pre-pump filter (using 5 micron elements), I haven't had to touch the bowl filter. Like DJ mentioned though, I want to know what the actual FP is going to the heads. If I see it dropping significantly under load, I'll change out pre-pump filter and see if that's all that was needed. Glad I could help, and glad you're going to enjoy lots of trouble free miles! I haven't added a tuner yet, but I have done a few engine mods. I will post back my ICP & IPR #'s asap. Not sure if we should see any significant differences between E99 & my 2003 though. Cheers!

VOODOO7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #22

Got the van back last night, and after taking these screens out, all seems good. Maybe a little more vibration at top speeds, but I am attributing that to my newly mount swivel seat and me taking out some of the padding in between the floor and the mount temporarily.

This is how the filters looked inside the tank. Definitely clogged with all sorts of stuff, some that appears to be delamination of the tank.

I did not get the filter between the tank and the pump yet. Any recommendations on that? How hard for the average joe to install?

Good point on the fuel pressure gauge after the filter. I will have that installed when I switch out that filter in 12k miles (or when I get the courage/time to do it myself).

Felt so good to feel that 7.3 power again!
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote