Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ya, I’ve got the DP tuner as well, same surging at light throttle, renders it unusable a lot of the time, raises EGT’s on even the 60hp tow tune, annoying to say the least. Not sure what to do about it, there’s been some other threads on this if you do a search.
I’d also say start with an exhaust, don’t think you’ll find an intake, I’ve looked, unless you want to fabricate your own. 5 star has a great reputation with the gasser crowd. Keep in mind, if the tunes are not specific to the Econoline, it shouldn’t be used, as we require different tuning than the trucks, due to having no intercooler, a different turbo housing and different factory mapping.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #12

REF , what have you done with your 7.3 ? Have to done a Exhaust upgrade ? If so what did you do ? Thanks
Tomsprops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
I have a tp performance chip. generally a 6 position setup, but for the van all they offer is a 4 position. stock, 50hp, 75hp, & 100hp. I put it on the 75hp and never mess with it. I have a 4" diamondeye turbo back exhaust and a bellowed up pipe kit. im happy with everything other than what the van does on a decel when the cc is on. for some reason it feels stumbly...if that makes any sense.
I have the same surge with the cruise control on..it has to do with the torque converter being locked and engine power decreasing (think engine braking in 3rd in a manual shift vehicle)..

So if it's hilly terrain I don't use cruise much...

11,000 miles with the tuner..LOVE IT!!

All stock components...EGT are manageable even towing an enclosed trailer...just gotta watch them and back down when they get too hot.
Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #14
REF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsprops View Post
REF , what have you done with your 7.3 ? Have to done a Exhaust upgrade ? If so what did you do ? Thanks

Yes, 4” turbo back exhaust, new bellowed up pipes. I’ve tried K&N drop in filters in the past, heard too many stories, went back to a high quality paper, using Napa gold I think. Don’t think it made any difference. Yes, I’d like to get more air in there, but at what cost?
I can also confirm that the DP tuner surging is in fact from the torque converter locking/unlocking. Had a conversation with Jody about it and all of us reporting that same issue, he said he hadn’t had that happen and there’s not much that can be done, as it has to do with working around the parameters of the Ford factory tuning. If he were to program the TC to unlock it’d fry our transmission.....anyway
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 10-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #15

Garage
Glad to hear I’m not the only one and same with me regarding using the cc in hilly areas. Appreciate the explanation guys, thank you.

Also, my tuner is ts performance, not tp. I’d edit my original post but apparently that’s frowned upon...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Ok I have a 4” from the turbo and used the dp tuner 40 hp mountain program and I really like it. I had the 60 daily and just was not happy but switched on this trip and I’m not going back. It just shifts right and only had one egt warning while passing on on the 395. Ok I might have had fun with built Chevell on one of the climbs at almost 3 digits and very little smoke

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #17
REF

Well, that may be the solution to our issues, at least we wouldn’t have to scrap the whole thing. I think I may contact Jody at DP and see if he’ll send me a few new 40 hp tunes and get rid of the 60 tow/mountain and 80 daily.
Most likely it won’t be free, wonder if he’d settle on giving us here on the forum a price break on new tunes. Considering there’s a good number of us that got his tunes based largely on recommendations posted here, including my positive initial review.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #18
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Well, that may be the solution to our issues, at least we wouldn’t have to scrap the whole thing. I think I may contact Jody at DP and see if he’ll send me a few new 40 hp tunes and get rid of the 60 tow/mountain and 80 daily.
Most likely it won’t be free, wonder if he’d settle on giving us here on the forum a price break on new tunes. Considering there’s a good number of us that got his tunes based largely on recommendations posted here, including my positive initial review.

Jody is easy to work with and if you trade in the 80 he might do it.

It’s my opinion but for the van 40hp is max unless you do something to cool the intake like water injection or the like.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #19

Kelly - I would be very happy trading the 80 hwy/daily and 60 Mtn for a 40 daily or mtn that I can actually use. I would have the high 1200 idle dropped to 1100 at the same time.

So, you have the 40 mtn, does hold the up shifts and wind out more when you are on the flats? Were you getting any surging with the 60 or the 40 while on light throttle? Mine gets that surging around 45 mph if I am cruising.

I spoke to Jody last week. We discussed my recording data via my AutoEnginuity software and sending him the file. I just need to figure out how to set that up. Heading out for a long weekend of camping starting tomorrow, so may play with that today so I can collect data on the road.

I think gearing/tires, speedo error, and exhaust/engine mods are going to enter into finding a solution. I am running 3.73 and 285-17’s, Speedo reads maybe 3% low vs gps, all stock.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #20

Banks and MagnaFlow Exhaust

I have a 2003 E-350 7.3PSD. Shortly after purchasing it, I installed the Banks Six-Gun Tuner and a Magna Flow exhaust. It has been running like a champ ever since. I got the optional EGT sensor for the SGT so that it exhibits the EGT on the display. I purchased the MagnaFlow exhaust for the Ford F-350 Dually Diesel and had it modified for my van. At that time, there was no one that provided a custom exhaust just for 7.3 vans. The only drawback to the larger exhaust is the drone of the exhaust inside the van. I did add the thickest foam sound deadener on the underside of the floor, but it still has an audible drone sound. It doesn't bother me, but people who don't understand what they are hearing, may be bothered by the sound. Then, there is my 18 year old daughter, who falls asleep from the sound!! Go figure!
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote