Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

7.3 psd high mileage question

i may have found my van--finally, my only hang up is 250K on a 99 7.3psd, is that high? and what should i be worried about? the van price (passenger van) is almost on the premium side for the milage

coguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #2

Re: 7.3psd high milage question

I would only worry about the motor is SCA wasn't added to the coolant every 10,000 miles. If that step was missed, the motor is susceptible to cavitation, and I've seen a couple that hydro-locked not too far from 200,000 miles.

At 250,000 you will most likely need a new transmission if it hasn't been replaced already, or upgraded with stronger internals (torque converter is the weak point on the 7.3L). Related to that.... transmission cooling isn't as good on the 7.3L compared to the V10, so many folks install a larger cooler.

Other than that, you will have a reliable powertrain, but you may have some other chassis parts that are worn out (ball joints, sway bar bushings, radius arm bushings, u-joints are the main items).

That motor did have some issues with the camshaft position sensor. There is an open recall for it, and many drivers carry a spare. Failed CPS = no go. Also, glow plug relay is another trouble spot but if it goes out you can start the van after plugging it in for a while. It's an easy swap, and I think about $40 for a new one.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I would only worry about the motor is SCA wasn't added to the coolant every 10,000 miles. If that step was missed, the motor is susceptible to cavitation, and I've seen a couple that hydro-locked not too far from 200,000 miles.
But wouldn't Ford add the correct additive protectant during normal maintenance? I know our shop tests and controls the coolant but I've never asked if Ford shops do that as a standard procedure.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
But wouldn't Ford add the correct additive protectant during normal maintenance? I know our shop tests and controls the coolant but I've never asked if Ford shops do that as a standard procedure.
Yes, that is why they test it. More ins't necessary if it tests okay, but for most users its easier to just add on a regular basis.

But.... if it wasn't maintained by a Ford dealer.... I'd be suspicious.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I would be very careful. Even if it was well maintained that is alot of miles personally I would pass on buying anything with that many miles. I would just never feel confident and when im camping or trying to get away that is the last thing I want to worry about.
Dont mean to be a downer but you asked.
Ron
Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #6

When I read this I was unfamiliar with SCAs so I did a little web research and found this article which seems to explain different coolants and SCA's
http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif.../SCA-Part1.htm

My owners manual for the 6.0 PSD recommend Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant which in reading the bottle is designed to meet ASTM D-3306 which does not require maintenance with SCA's, or am I missing something here?

John
Old 02-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #7

SCA isn't supposed to be needed with the 6.0 if the correct coolant is used. But.... some guys still recommend checking the nitrite level once a year.