Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #1

Garage
7.3L Performance Shop / Turbo Upgrade Question

Does anyone have a shop recommendation that specializes in 7.3l van performance upgrades. If they happen to be in the rockies or TX, then even better.

I've talked to a few shops but none have a ton of experience dealing with the van specific issues. I'm hoping some members have some pointers for me.

Has anyone upgraded to the GTP38R turbo? I'm wondering if it will fit the van, and also be able to keep the stock heat shielding.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Team

First and foremost, before starting any performance upgrades, do you at least have an Exhaust Gast Temperature (EGT) gauge to monitor exhaust temps? A 7.3L can be pushed too hard and it is possible to destroy the engine if the EGTs get too hot.

Herb
Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

Vision Diesel Performance (located in Aurora, OR https://visiondieselperformance.com/) built a monster of a 7.3L van for a local guy. It was somewhere around the 650hp range.
It's been running around here for years.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Vision Diesel Performance (located in Aurora, OR https://visiondieselperformance.com/) built a monster of a 7.3L van for a local guy. It was somewhere around the 650hp range.
It's been running around here for years.
Great, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Team

You asked about what EGT's I are good with (but as an Admin I messed up your post when attempting to answer), so here's my response:

I'm not sure I'm the best to answer that question, as I have a 7.3L, but it's in an Excursion (which includes an intercooler) and not a van.

FWIW, I'm comfortable keeping it at 1100 degrees, with very limited time up to 1250 degrees.

Herb
Old 01-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

Garage
might reach out for Chris at UJOR - he did a beautiful & extensive body-off restoration on a Sportsmobile a year or two ago, and had a Diesel Performance shop build a 600+ hp engine for it... might reach out to see if he can provide a contact number.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
pod

For EGT, I don’t go above 1200 and always get it down to 300 before shutting down.

I was in a similar spot as you about wanting to refresh things on a 2003 EB 7.3 van and ended up almost completely restoring the top/front end along with other bits at 86k miles . I used stock stuff and rebuilt my turbo and pedestal, but did use the riff raff 360degree thrust bearing kit instead of the Garrett gtp38 kit. Rebuilt turbo is awesome and provides 15.7 psi boost at WOT.

If you can’t find someone to work on it and you’re comfortable with tools, between the factory service manuals and the internet, you can do most everything yourself ( and probably do a better job!). You’ll also know how it all works, so when something happens in the trail, that engine bay will be familiar.

Happy to help with other questions if you decide to rebuild/restore. I spent 6months doing it with tons of pics/notes (still need to formally write some report to post to help others )

Cheers,
Todd
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
For EGT, I don’t go above 1200 and always get it down to 300 before shutting down.

I was in a similar spot as you about wanting to refresh things on a 2003 EB 7.3 van and ended up almost completely restoring the top/front end along with other bits at 86k miles . I used stock stuff and rebuilt my turbo and pedestal, but did use the riff raff 360degree thrust bearing kit instead of the Garrett gtp38 kit. Rebuilt turbo is awesome and provides 15.7 psi boost at WOT.

If you can’t find someone to work on it and you’re comfortable with tools, between the factory service manuals and the internet, you can do most everything yourself ( and probably do a better job!). You’ll also know how it all works, so when something happens in the trail, that engine bay will be familiar.

Happy to help with other questions if you decide to rebuild/restore. I spent 6months doing it with tons of pics/notes (still need to formally write some report to post to help others )

Cheers,
Todd
I’d be very interested in that write-up! I’m comfortable that I could do the work, but it’s harder to find the time to tear into it. You spent 6 months on the engine rebuild alone?!
allenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
might reach out for Chris at UJOR - he did a beautiful & extensive body-off restoration on a Sportsmobile a year or two ago, and had a Diesel Performance shop build a 600+ hp engine for it... might reach out to see if he can provide a contact number.
Thanks, I’ll check with him. I did get a shop recommendation from the guys over at CCV that I’m going to check out tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
You asked about what EGT's I are good with (but as an Admin I messed up your post when attempting to answer), so here's my response:

I'm not sure I'm the best to answer that question, as I have a 7.3L, but it's in an Excursion (which includes an intercooler) and not a van.

FWIW, I'm comfortable keeping it at 1100 degrees, with very limited time up to 1250 degrees.

Herb
Thanks for the point of reference, I’ve been letting them hit 1200 on hills, but haven’t been overly comfortable with it. I’ve heard people mention running egts as hot as 1700.