Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #1

7.3L Spare parts

I would like to start a list for 7.3L spare parts that may be prone to failure or that could leave you disabled while traveling. It may be worth separating those parts by ones that are easily replaced and ones that require special tools or know how.

From my previous experience with 7.3Ls:
Fuel filters
Glow plug sensors
Glow plugs

What have your found helpful to have along or what did you wish you had?

Warnerd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

Garage
Re: 7.3L Spare parts

i keep a cam position sensor onboard. other than that, i plan on a replacement belt and whatever special tools ill need to swap in the field. im sure ill figure out more, but im still a rookie to this game compared to others around.

good thread though. ill be watching it.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #3

I will take an
starter
with me (i make long trips also in mittle of nowhere) I can use my solar to charge the van batterie or use the interior batterie as a starter batterie. But what will happen if the starter itselve is broken?
Happend to me one time in the desert of North Afrika. Was very happy that it was an manual shift car
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

My old work truck had a 7.3 PSD and all the time I drove it the only problems I had was the alternator, a couple of idler pulleys that froze up twice in one year, and the cam sensor failed once. Besides the fuel and oil filters, even with my sensor ridden 6.0, the fuel pump has always freaked me out a bit while in the backcountry. I don't know if there is an easy field fix so you can limp out but I'd like to know.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
...the fuel pump has always freaked me out a bit while in the backcountry. I don't know if there is an easy field fix so you can limp out but I'd like to know.
2nd fuel tank. That is one of the reasons I want to add the aux rear tank. I would set it up with a selector valve, instead of as a transfer tank. Then I would have a built in spare in case mine does go. I'm almost at 360,000 miles and the fuel pump is still factory, so I'm sure its only a matter of time...

For emergency use, even a small (7 gal?) fuel cell could work if you don't have space for the rear tank. Worst case you could siphon fuel from the not-working main tank and refill the fuel cell. With this setup you could just plumb it through an external fuel pump, and even use a mechanical switchover valve (2 of them actually since there's also a return lie). Main downside it you would have to remember to cycle that fuel periodically before it goes bad.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

That is a good idea. For whatever reason I was thinking of taping a second outside fuel pump off the main tank. You'd think transfer flow would make a tank that has the ability for a backup fuel feed.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
That is a good idea. For whatever reason I was thinking of taping a second outside fuel pump off the main tank. You'd think transfer flow would make a tank that has the ability for a backup fuel feed.
Does it have the auxiliray fuel port? It's a factory Ford option so I would be surprised if TF does not include this, considering most go into conversion vans. If yes, then it would be super easy to add an external pump for backup use, and this way you wouldn't even have to touch the return line.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Don't have a clue. Sounds like I need to make a call.