Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

75000 Mile Service suggestions on a 5.4 V8

Hi All,

Just put in 9500 miles on a cross country. Going to bring it in for an oil change and rotation and can't seem to find my service interval book anywhere, so I thought I'd go to the brain trust.

I had the tranny fluid changed at 40,000, based on John at Quadvan's advice. Should I think about that again? I felt as though the tranny may have slipped on one occasion on this trip but it was, for the most part, fine. Should I just expect it to croak at some point down the road? Would a proactive fluid change do more than just cost me money?

Spark plugs? I read on the F150 forums that a lot of those guys with this engine change the plugs at 75000. Any thoughts?

Timing chain should be fine, I suppose. Thinking of changing the diff fluid but, again, I am not certain.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Paul

Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #2

Re: 75000 Mile Service suggestions on a 5.4 V8

If you are having the work done at a Ford dealer, their computer can tell you when you take it in. Otherwise, give the Ford service department a call and then should be able to tell you over the phone.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #3

Thanks. That was definitely my plan, but I also figured I should ask what the ancient folk wisdom of this board had to say, as well.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #4

You definitely want to do plugs.

There is an updated Ford plug part number with slightly longer threads, the Ford dealer will use those of course. Some people replace the coil-to-plug boots but mine were fine.

I would do the air filter.

If the brake fluid hasn't been done in 2 years, I'd do that obviously. And coolant too.

Inspect the drive belt at a minimum -- I can't remember if it is part of the service. Carry a spare anyway.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #5

I think that's wise. Never done the brake fluid or coolant - don't they claim it's good for 100K miles?

I think I'll get them both done. I do carry a spare serpentine and it still looks good, but I'll ask them.

The plugs are what I was thinking. I suppose they'll have to get into the doghouse to do them? Either way, I'll have them done.

May do a front diff service. Had the rear done at about 40K.

P
Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
I think that's wise. Never done the brake fluid or coolant - don't they claim it's good for 100K miles?
Generally speaking, because brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water) you want to do it every 2 years or so. Coolant.... you're getting up there, be good to backflush the radiator etc. I would do it, and inspect hoses.

On the plugs.... it is a tough bleeding knuckle job on the V10, I imagine the V8 is slightly easier (fewer plugs, more room?).

Your remove the doghouse (which takes about 30 secs), then you do the rear plugs from the doghouse side and the front plugs from the engine bay. It is quite fiddly to remove the coil packs. The dealers do this stuff all the time on the modular engine, the van firewall just makes it about 10x tougher than on a F350.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #7

Good thread as I'm contemplating the same thing. Just turned 76k on my 98 5.4. We're about to head off cross-country in three weeks, so I'm nailing down some final things on the van. To my knowledge (I'm second owner) the plugs have never been changed. Part of me says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so close to leaving for our trip, but on the other hand I don't want to blow a plug in the middle of nowhere.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Good thread as I'm contemplating the same thing. Just turned 76k on my 98 5.4. We're about to head off cross-country in three weeks, so I'm nailing down some final things on the van. To my knowledge (I'm second owner) the plugs have never been changed. Part of me says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so close to leaving for our trip, but on the other hand I don't want to blow a plug in the middle of nowhere.
You won't blow a plug from not changing them... or should I say the chances of them blowing today are the same as tomorrow. But even for platinum plugs, 75,000 is a long time. My 1999 V10 started showing drivability issues and misfires at about 80,000, changed the plugs and it was all good form there.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

Garage

Gas engine maintenance sure is boring, eh?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #10

One of my brother's co-workers lost his 5.4L at about 78,000 miles. He thought the oil changes were parts of the 100,000 tune-up schedule. He actually made it that far with never changing this oil! I'm guessing he's one of those that thinks the oil pressure lights is the "add oil" light.

If it has gold coolant, its good for 150,000 miles. If it has green, then it's probably do for a drain and fill. I didn't do my first plugs until 115,000. Then every 60k after that because the Predator tuner shortens spark plug life big-time, even with platinums. I tried Irridium last go around, and I'll be able to get back on the 100k schedule with those.

Don't forget the fuel filter. That actually should be done every 30k. It'll keep driving with an obstructed filter, but it will make the fuel pump run hotter and shorten its life.